Old 20 October 2005, 23:59   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Raymarine 54E

Bought a new Raymarine DSC last December, it lost power recently and we returned it to Raymarine last Friday afternoon, on Monday they phoned and said it would be replaced on warrenty, the new set arrived two days later.

While frustrating that it had a problem I am very happy with the efficency of the service and speed with which Raymarine dealt with the problem. I accept that kit does occasionally go wrong and am impressed with the no nonsense, no questions way it was dealt with

Only downside is tommorrow we are fitting a brand new set to a boat that we have just put up for sale.
Old 21 October 2005, 02:38   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Apart from the one problem what did you think of the set generally??? I have just bought one - pleased to hear their service is so good!!!
Old 21 October 2005, 05:05   #3

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce
Only downside is tommorrow we are fitting a brand new set to a boat that we have just put up for sale.

Go onto Ebay and buy one from there - fit that and keep new one!!!
Old 22 October 2005, 00:07   #4

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Answers

Cod

Hasnt been the most user friendly set I have bought, but works OK, I have bought several different VHF and DSC sets over the last few years. I have always liked Raymarine chart plotters and instruments and thought I would try their DSC.

Just like mobile phones, whatever you are used to works for you. I kind of equate Simrads to Nokias- they are very intuative but sometimes dont stand up to the rigours of my lifestyle.

As I am sure you are aware even the sets that advertise they are waterproof often do not handel a RIB, this has not been a problem with the Raymarine. I do feel however that I preferred the Simrad RD68, even with its smaller screen and buttons

Having said that I am looking at ICOM for the new boat, I have kind of neglected ICOM so far and feel it is time to give them a chance, I think quite highly of them but its not until you own one that you really put it through its paces.

In answer to your question- I have no complaints with the Raymarine set, but it did not stand out to me.

Dave

Nice idea but to late- Josh fitted the new set today and the boat is under offer, It was online for less than 24 hours and a good offer was made