Old 20 April 2008, 21:45   #21

Town: cork
Boat name: none
Make: HUMBER DESTROYER 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140HP sUZUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Matt and i both had raiders at one point and were finding that reception started failing even whilst we were still in site of each other.

However.....

I think Matt may have had a dodgy aerial cause mine does not seem to bad when trying to contact coast guard stations for radio checks. even if I use the low power setting (1Watt) I can be heard by the coast guard several miles away.

I think its worth checking how good the connection is at the bottom of the aerial, I am not overly keen on the way its done and I think Matts might not have been too well connected.
i connected mine to cable that was already there.Connected using solderless connection. connected to nose connecter and then screwed up into antenna.
Does the cable have to protrude much out of the top of the bullet nose connector? have mine a tiny bit out or almost flush with the end of the bullet nose. would i be able to talk to someone 2 or 3 miles away?
Old 21 April 2008, 19:38   #22

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I have a newish Raider on my Humber and I can often hear and speak to land stations about 10 miles away in an adjacent inlet with some fairly high ground in the way of the signal (500-600ft ridge line) which isn't bad for an aerial that size - it often does as well as much bigger aerials on the Nelson launches operated by the company. It's certainly a long way from being line of sight!

My experience with amateur VHF is that it is as much about the quality of the radio as the aerial. I have an Alinco and an Icom sitting side by side and using the same aerial the Icom can pick up things that don't even break the squelch on the Alinco. So I now have five Icoms and one Alinco

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 20:31   #23

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
only probs I have had with the curly raider aerials has been leaving the whip bit at various offshore locations around the coast. The newer model seems to have overcome that, but we have never had a range problem when the actual whip has still been onboard with us. Biggest prob we have had with aerials over the years has been thru poor quality co-ax, the stuff with the insubstantial bum fluff outer screening wrap and that came with another make of aerial. Caused all sortsa probs on board.
Old 21 April 2008, 22:46   #24

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I have on order the 8ft/ 6db one and the stainless ratchet mount. These are very rugged and well made

See: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...362&id=0000870
I specifically chose a 3ft tall, 3db stainless whip on a 1ft tall antenna extension for my 16ft RIB. With the boat pitching around I didn't want my entire signal lost to outer space or buried in a nearby wave.
Old 23 April 2008, 20:20   #25

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I had a Rib Raider for four years on my last boat and had no problems, in fact it seemed to work quite well even around the west coast islands and can't ever remember not being able at any point to not be able to contact the CG.
As I it had worked well for me I just bought another for the new build so a bit stumped to find out it supposed to be cr**p
I am sure there are better aerials but is there any objective tests on them rather tha n opinions? Not just on performance but all round including price?