Old 03 October 2013, 16:08   #21

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
Answer - Both
Why - Why not?
Defo Both, why because a handheld one you can attach to your lifejacket, so if your on your own and get thrown out you have a means of contacting someone, in addition the connections from many fixed VHF sets may degrade over time and you might find you cant use your fixed set when you need to so a handheld as backup is usefull.

Before anyone says what do you mean fixed sets the connections degrade ? any electrical conncetions if not waterproofed to the utmost degree will fail at some point, my Icom fixed set has and if you look at IComs support online and the frequently asked question bit under fault finding alot of FAQ's are down to poor conncetions especially inline fuses etc.
Old 03 October 2013, 17:54   #22

Length: 3m +
I'd suggest standard Handheld, and save the money towards a PLB. You only desperately need a possition if you are in trouble in which case the PLB will do the trick.

In the UK you can register your boat with a CG66 which lists your MMSI which means when you hit the Red Button the UK CG can see info about your boat. Worth checkin with the Corsicans if they have an equivalent scheme. Makes life easier for the Chopper to know what sort of boat its searching for ;-)
Old 03 October 2013, 18:07   #23

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
OK, so both are a good idea. But cant I get a Handheld that also acts as a PLB ? Thereby only needing to have one bit of kit attached to me. I dont want to look like a christmas tree on my boat.

Which unlike a PLB, will allow me to speak to someone ?

Im less bothered about the cost, more bothered about having the right kit at the right time.

Handheld Icoms with GPS, DCS etc seem to be about £200-250 and built in versions £190-220 ish. Whereas a PLB is £200ish.
Old 03 October 2013, 18:24   #24

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
If money isn't a huge issue get both....if you ever need one or both in a drama the cost will mean nothing.
Old 03 October 2013, 18:43   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
OK, so both are a good idea. But cant I get a Handheld that also acts as a PLB ? Thereby only needing to have one bit of kit attached to me. I dont want to look like a christmas tree on my boat.

Im less bothered about the cost, more bothered about having the right kit at the right time.

Handheld Icoms with GPS, DCS etc seem to be about £200-250 and built in versions £190-220 ish. Whereas a PLB is £200ish.

VHF & PLB= different beasts, VHF depends on someone within radio range hearing it & acting upon it. PLB is satellite based & is fully automatic. 2 completely different systems thus double redundancy. If money is an issue, fixed VHF & PLB, shouldn't be a problem to a chap who's just blown his kids inheritance on a boat
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2013, 19:16   #26

Length: 3m +
Quote:

4 months ago I think there were plenty on here who would have said a PLB was a NICE to have but in most parts of the world a bit of a gimick as you probably were in VHF range of someone else on a RIB.

Then at the start of August MustRIB from on here was singlehandedly crossing from Milford Haven to Ireland to start the Round Ireland Challenge. Weather wasn't crazy (going round Ireland people went through far worse). He was caught off gaurd and chucked out the boat. That rendered his on board VHF useless. His handheld could have got him out of trouble but was damaged during the MOB and lost. That left hime floating in a dry suit, lifejacket inflated, with his RIB a few 100m away but unreachable. This is the kind of thing that kills people. He pressed the magic button on his PLB. No need to talk to other boaters - it beamed his possition of a satellite and within 2-3 hours he had a helicopter above him winching him to safety.

I may be wrong but I think that one incident both made most people on hear think 'it could have been them' just for a second* and then maybe re-evaluate the need for a PLB.

*once they read on and discovered he asked the helicopter crew to put him back on his RIB so he could carry on his journey they all realised that it hadn't happened to them as they aren't quite that crazy!!

Quote:
On that basis you want a PLB for the circumstance you are blocked from VHF range.

Quote:
A plain voice HH would cost about £100-150.
DSC HH would cost £200-250+
Fixed DSC c.£150 + c.£50 for aerial. Plus GPS but I'd expect you want a plotter on a boat like you just bought.
PLB would cost £200.
Old 03 October 2013, 20:22   #27

RIBase
Mmmm, well Ive spent more than I can count so far, so whats a bit more cash eh ?

Wise words about the PLB, so now Im thinking about a fixed VHF with DSC, connected to my Garmin chart plotter and now a PLB and plain handheld without DSC, or sod it, get a handheld with DSC, GPS etc.

Still, its going to be me and my missus 99% of the time on the boat. So either we both fall out, or just one of us. Certainly to begin with we will be within swimming distance of the shore in flat calm Corsican waters - which are a little different to blasting across the channel in the fog.

You only live once and Ive no idea how long ive got left

Blimey, what next on the spend list.

Boat - yup
Trailer - yup
Trackers - yup
Lifejackets - yup
Radios and PLB - to do

Still got to sort a ladder, bimini, shower, cover, watersports toys, VHF course, etc.

I will start a list.
Old 04 October 2013, 10:40   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Mmmm, well Ive spent more than I can count so far, so whats a bit more cash eh ?

Wise words about the PLB, so now Im thinking about a fixed VHF with DSC, connected to my Garmin chart plotter and now a PLB and plain handheld without DSC, or sod it, get a handheld with DSC, GPS etc.

Still, its going to be me and my missus 99% of the time on the boat. So either we both fall out, or just one of us. Certainly to begin with we will be within swimming distance of the shore in flat calm Corsican waters - which are a little different to blasting across the channel in the fog.

You only live once and Ive no idea how long ive got left

Blimey, what next on the spend list.

Boat - yup
Trailer - yup
Trackers - yup
Lifejackets - yup
Radios and PLB - to do

Still got to sort a ladder, bimini, shower, cover, watersports toys, VHF course, etc.

I will start a list.

It's only money We are in a similar situation to you in that it's usually me & the missus on the boat + dog. I used to have the PLB mounted in a holder on the console & the handheld VHF was in the dry/grab bag. After recent events, the PLB now lives in my drysuit pocket & the VHF is clipped to my lifejacket with the clip + carabiner. Spare Kill Cord is clipped to the grab rail under the throttles. AND this morning a shiny new green rescue laser arrived from Scott (SPR) Not bad as I only ordered it yesterday afternoon. I think I've done everything that's "reasonably practicable" Just looking for a pair of new lifejackets now, but they can wait 'til the London Boat Show.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 04 October 2013, 10:50   #29
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
good to see Royal Mail works.

Make sure / you can access the radio / other equipment with your lifejacket inflated ...

and remember the laser flare can be used to find a MOB or anything with retro reflective tape on it by scanning the water or area.

s.
Old 04 October 2013, 10:58   #30

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
good to see Royal Mail works.

Make sure / you can access the radio / other equipment with your lifejacket inflated ...

s.
Good point, our jackets are due for service/re-arming, I'll put one on & fire it with the bits & bobs on it & see if I can get to everything.
Old 04 October 2013, 11:06   #31

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Good point, our jackets are due for service/re-arming, I'll put one on & fire it with the bits & bobs on it & see if I can get to everything.
I did this jumping off AJs boat a while back...the radio popped off and if not held on by lanyard would have floated away...!
Old 04 October 2013, 11:48   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I did this jumping off AJs boat a while back...the radio popped off and if not held on by lanyard would have floated away...!
Aye, I've just added a lanyard & caribiner to mine + I have the remote mike which is also clipped on which should help.
Old 04 October 2013, 11:57   #33
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
I got a Standard Horizon handheld with GPS&DSC (as shown here). It works well, though may be a bit large to hold for people with small hands.

I also bought a Kannad SafeLink SOLO PLB at the boatshow last year, and wear it on my lifejacket belt. You can see it in Whisper's video. It's the small yellow pouch in the picture below.

I practiced reaching it when doing the sea safety course. You need it to be out of the way and unobtrusive for normal operations, but right there if you need it. I threw away the rubbish lanyard they supply, it is way too short, and made of very thin material. I replaced it with ~4ft of 3mm parachord coiled into the pouch and tied to my lifejacket harness.

As a bonus, when buying the PLB I won a personal Safelink MOB AIS thing too. I wouldn't have bought it, but not a bad freebie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plb.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	86050  
Old 04 October 2013, 14:02   #34

RIBase
Good point about locating the emergency gear where you can grab it or better still, wear it. I imagine if you fall out, your not going to have time to grab stuff.

London boat show, mmmm more shiny stuff to fondle.

*googles show dates*
Old 04 October 2013, 14:45   #35

RIBase
Quote:
Good point about locating the emergency gear where you can grab it or better still, wear it. I imagine if you fall out, your not going to have time to grab stuff.

London boat show, mmmm more shiny stuff to fondle.

*googles show dates*
LBS is generally cr4p & I wouldn't make a special trip, however my mate lives in Potters Bar & gets free tickets so we make a weekend of it. Morning at Borough Market, afternoon at the show, curry in Brick lane & a few beers & last train back
Old 04 October 2013, 15:10   #36

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
. Morning at Borough Market,
Neck half a dozen natives at Wright Bros off of Borough Market. 'Ansome. They run the Oyster farm on the Helford and my local, The Ferryboat Inn. Tell them that you're 'Friends of the Ferryboat' and you'll get 15% off.
Old 04 October 2013, 15:38   #37

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Neck half a dozen natives at Wright Bros off of Borough Market. 'Ansome. They run the Oyster farm on the Helford and my local, The Ferryboat Inn. Tell them that you're 'Friends of the Ferryboat' and you'll get 15% off.
Not sure what the name of the stall is, but it's under the railway viaduct across from Neals Yard cheese shop. We usually have half a dozen natives & half a dozen Pacifics, top brekky
Old 07 October 2013, 06:10   #38
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
s.
...good point well made..!

arriving on this thread a bit late, but anyone who has a Typhoon PS220 drysuit like mine, may be interested to know I have exchanged a few emails with Typhoon following my dunking, about some possible design improvements to the suit with regard to access to pockets, secure fastenings, and more accessible locations / design of pockets, specifically relating to a lifejacket being inflated over the top of the suit.
They have apparently had a meeting about a new design but I havnt heard anything further from them.
Hopefully there will be some improvements in the pipeline.
Old 07 October 2013, 08:39   #39

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
...good point well made..!

arriving on this thread a bit late, but anyone who has a Typhoon PS220 drysuit like mine, may be interested to know I have exchanged a few emails with Typhoon following my dunking, about some possible design improvements to the suit with regard to access to pockets, secure fastenings, and more accessible locations / design of pockets, specifically relating to a lifejacket being inflated over the top of the suit.
They have apparently had a meeting about a new design but I havnt heard anything further from them.
Hopefully there will be some improvements in the pipeline.
Nice one, hopefully you might get a prototype to test