Old 30 January 2003, 15:16   #1

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Radar

Hi Guys,

First of all, I must say I glad I found this group. I own a 4m Zodiac (not a rib) but am thinking of getting a rib in the near future.

Many of you go off shore in all kinds of weather. Do you ever see the need of having radar? What about auto pilot so you can kick back when the conditions are right?
Old 30 January 2003, 17:27   #2

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
What is this all about???

Is this another wind up??
If not cannot understand the relevance of a SIB and of a Radar and an autopilot
In my humble opinion you don't need them.
Just a good GPS map.
SIMPLE AND SHORT!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2003, 17:31   #3

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
GPS and map don't tell you where anyone else is. Radar could have it's uses, but it won't pick everything up.

Autopilot? Hah! Drive it youself. If it's too flat a ride, liven it up

Matt
Old 30 January 2003, 17:43   #4

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by narked
GPS and map don't tell you where anyone else is. Radar could have it's uses, but it won't pick everything up.
Agree, but why you would travel in the middle of the night to need a radar??
If the the RIB is a 4-8 mtrs long you don't need a radar. If is a cabin RIB then is a different ball game.
In the Med you don't see many Radars on RIBs
Old 30 January 2003, 17:53   #5

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Size isn't everything, what you do with it is...

It's not impossible for a radar to be of use on a smaller boat. It all depends on what your using the boat for and in.

Matt
Old 30 January 2003, 18:02   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by narked
Size isn't everything, what you do with it is...
It's not impossible for a radar to be of use on a smaller boat. It all depends on what your using the boat for and in.
Yes but have you considered radiation and mounting??
This is only a personal opinion, on a small boat a Radar is not as usefull as it is on larger craft where you will be spenmding sometime on it and even sail during the night or in adverse weather conditions.
But on a SIB or a small RIB it will not be of that much use (considering how much it costs).
May be I'm wrong with my reasoning though!!
Old 30 January 2003, 18:16   #7

Radar

My thoughts are this.

I'm thinking of buying a 6.5 rib and using it off the coast of California and British Columbia were the fog can get very thick. Just thought radar would be nice to have so you can see approaching boats well ahead of time.
Old 30 January 2003, 18:17   #8

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Re: Radar

Quote:
Originally posted by smokie
but am thinking of getting a rib in the near future.

Guys, guys, read the post properly.Smokie intends buying a larger rib!
First of all, welcome to the forum Smokie. We have had a lengthy discussion about ribs and radars on a separate thread sometime ago, type radar in the search facility and try and make head or tail of everyone's viewpoints. As far as auto-pilot is concerned, personally I think it is a complete waste of time and money because I prefer helming the crafty myself. Now, if you were
Alan P about to circumnavigate the world, that would be a different matter entirely.

Out of interest, what did you have in mind to purchase as far as ribs are concerned?
Sorry, just read your post....if you are unfortunate to live in an area which is prone to fog, I would not hesitate in having a radar fitted, it comes down to safety which should never be compromised. Do not get caught in the trap of thinking once you have radar fitted you do not require a radar reflector. Even if you are transmitting, another craft will not necessarily pick you up on their radar. Invest in a good radar reflector as well as radar.
Old 30 January 2003, 18:34   #9

Radar

Thank you for your post Charles.

Have not decided a specific rib. My use will be water skiing, diving, fishing and possibly a cruise along the inside passage of BC. For that I require enough room at the bow to lay flat in case I have to spend the night on the boat. Looked at the Zodiac 650 but the bow space is a little tight.

OK you guys talked me out of an auto pilot.
Old 30 January 2003, 18:40   #10

Quote:
....thinking of buying a 6.5 rib and using it off the coast of California and British Columbia were the fog can get very thick.
Then you deffinately need a Radar and as Charles said a Radar deflector so people can see you too!!

An autopilot?? Never used one on a RIB however reading Alan's book it seems that at speeds on rough seas does not work properly.
It all depends on what you want to do realy and how much money you are prepared to spend.

Old 30 January 2003, 19:34   #11

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Old 30 January 2003, 20:17   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Smokie & welcome

I was looking at radar a few months ago and its till on the books one I get all the other bits sorted out. (spent too much on other goodies )

The only real concern I have with radar is I dont like the idea of transmitting 1.5Kw or more 4 foot from my head

When i get round to fitting radar it will be on a mount about 3 foot above the A frame, this keeps it away from me and others and gives you greater range, which even at this height will be very short.

Go for a radar, their uses are limited on a rib, but when you need one you will be glad to nave one.

Regards Gary
Old 30 January 2003, 20:39   #13

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Smokie

I have a radar and twice last year while making offshore passage hit thick fog ( < 20m ). Without it my concern for safety would have caused me to turn back.

With radar I carried on at 35 knots with the crew ranging up and down looking for boats and other objects.

Mounted on a RIB you wont get the distance but will be able to see anything that will hit you. All I need to know.

Cheers Mark
Old 30 January 2003, 23:50   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Radar & auto pilot

Welcome smokie.
I use both and they are my favorite instruments. Radar is the only instrument that actually shows you what is there. There have been times where a mass of low lying islands were impossible to distiguish from each other because, in a rib, your view is very low. The radar puts them in perspective. I've also missed seeing a boat, on a few occasions, but the radar has alerted me. If you've been out on the water for a while, you are likely to get brain fade and the radar is invaluable. In mist, how else are you going to know what's there? Once you've got one, you'll find all sorts of situations where it will be useful. The same goes for the auto pilot. Cruising at night, set the auto pilot to read your gps waypoint and watch out on your radar. Keep a lookout as well of course. If you need to pee in rough conditions, set the pilot and set the engine to low speed. You can keep the boat's head to sea to prevent you being at the mercy of the waves at a critical time! Like the radar, you'll find all sorts of situations where it's helpful. It can be particularly useful if you boat single handed. If you have the dosh, buy them. You won't be sorry. Ignore advice from those who have had very little experience of that which they are advising about. Look out, there's always a smart arse about. Hope this helps the decision.
JW.
Old 31 January 2003, 00:49   #15

Radar

Thanks for the advice JWalker. Makes sense.
Old 31 January 2003, 00:55   #16

Town: Bristol
Make: none

Quote:
Do you ever see the need of having radar?
Whilst I prefer to keep my boating to good weather there is always the possiblity of something going wrong or weather closing in and you finding yourself in a pea souper.

So if I had the money then a radar I would have.

Sadly for me it will have to wait but it is on my list of wants.

If it gets used but once to avoid other boats/ships/objects then to me it would be worth every penny.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2003, 01:06   #17

Radar

Actually, thank you to everyone that contributed. Very good input. I look at radar as 4-wheel drive on truck. You may not always need it, but when you do you're glad to have it.

It will be good to know that if the fog does come, I'll be able to continue safely on my journey.
Old 31 January 2003, 11:29   #18

Make: Pro-Sport
Length: 5m +
Radar/ Fog

I have been reading th last few posts on Radars and fog etc, and was amazed to read some one in vis of less than 20m's happily traveling at 35 kts!!!!!!!!!

No 1 rule in fog guys even with a radar SLOW down.

things will creap up very quickly in poor vis
Old 31 January 2003, 12:12   #19

Town: Poole
Did i mention that I had a beer in one hand and a scotch egg in the other while doing 35kn in fog !

Cheers

Mark
Old 31 January 2003, 15:06   #20

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
While the female passenger was doing something completly illegal!
On a positive note, the radar is only as good as the oporater. reading what is on the screen at anything more than 10 knots in difficult conditions can be quite hard.
If I had to make a choice and "drop" either my chart plotter or radar, the radar would be over the side. A decent high speed plotter with a set of decent charts will allow you to drive the boat blind if you have too. Linked to a decent autopilot you can ( and we have on many occasions) driven theboat into strange harbours electronicaly using the chart plotter as a head up display. Of course, it goes without saying that we still have a man in the bow with a radio link just in case and my boating is somewhat different to most, but how I long to turn the clock back.Welcome aboard Smokie Alan P