Old 03 February 2003, 09:02   #31

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
Here's an idea. The Coast Guard have the radar and know where c. everyone is. They communicate this to the GPS satellites who update everyone with a GPS. Slightly simplified, I know, but in theory....?

Old 03 February 2003, 17:41   #32

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Galeforce,ee,er, Im not quite with you can you explain what you mean? Im not a deep thinker so maybe I missed something here.

Old 04 February 2003, 07:38   #33

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
well crazyhorse at the moment a gps will tell you where you are from signals received from satellites orbiting the earth. You have maps installed in your unit and so you can navigate. However you don't know where other craft are 'cos they're not on your map and if it's foggy or whatever , you could crash. What I'm proposing, or enquiring about, is whether the satellites could also give the reference points of other craft so your gps unit could show them on the screen. This info could be got from, say, a radar sweep. The idea being that when you look at your gps you see not only islands, coastline etc. but other boats.
Old 04 February 2003, 07:48   #34

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by gaelforce
What I'm proposing, or enquiring about, is whether the satellites could also give the reference points of other craft so your gps unit could show them on the screen.
Am I correct in saying that the airforce, the navy and the army have this facility already??
However, is this not availiable to the public due to the fact that the US (No1), UK (the follower) etc etc administrations fears of Mr Bin L (or someone like him any way) knowing where their vehicles/planes/boats are and blasting them up in the sky??
BOOOOOOOOOOOM
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2003, 08:20   #35

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
All Solas vessels are required to AIS transponders with implementation ongoing until 2007.

AIS - Automatic Identity Transponder

This unit sends ID, position, heading, rate of turn, length, beam, draught, cargo, destination etc via VHF frquency to recienving AIS unit. This data can then be displayed graphically on ECdis screen.

Advantage over Radar - more accurate info, positive ID, instant CPA / TCPA info, Radar with arpa take 1 min to assess and 3 mins to confirm CPA / TCPA.

So Manos, yes this systemn is already in use on many high speed craft and will be on all SOLAS vessels by 2007.

However, recreational and fishing craft under 24m are not required to have it.

Radar will continue to be used by large craft so make sure you have a damn good reflector.

Cheers
Karl
Old 04 February 2003, 08:39   #36

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
KarlT

..and I only thought that it was ONLY used by the military
Sounds very good now that you're saying that the public can use it too
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2003, 15:38   #37

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Hi there folks,

You will be talking to your GPS for a long time if you want it to send a signal with your position on it.

They are Satelite Receivers not Tranceivers.

Your vhf Gmdss radio sends a gps position to another vhf tranceiver worked out from your gps position received from a satelite.Maybe coast guard run it through there radar to give them imfo,only for those running Gmdss sets that are linked to Gps.

Whether this other vessel position imfo/track can be linked to show a position on your radar is something I dont know.I would think it can.It will only show when he is transmitting,so will be intermitent,I presume his imfo/track will be Based on you transmitting at the time.

This new Transponder will show on radar providing you have power,and will be a extra cost as it will be an extra unit working independantly from existing kit and it will transmit all the time and bye the sounds of it update constantly your current possition to othere vessels, whilst it has power I presume and send the constant signal out on a designated frequencie.
If it uses Very high Frequencie radio waves and they are the same frequencies as a vhf channel, then maybe your existing kit may recieve the imfo/track and plot it on your radar screen.

I suppose with it being a continues transmitter it will give a continues possition and heading,speed,track etc.

Who knows.?