Old 14 September 2004, 23:34   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Procedures for Radio in a New Boat

New boat due in 2 weeks. Will have a Radio (DSC Fixed) installed by the boat builder. What do I have to do now?

I have my passed my radio exam and have my certificate. How do I get my MMSI and call sign? How do I ensure the radio is legal to use on Day 1? How do I get my little circular licence?

Do I do things or does the boat builder?

Thanks

Bruce

PS How do I get a number plate for my new trailer with my car reg on it?
Old 14 September 2004, 23:50   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
New boat due in 2 weeks. Will have a Radio (DSC Fixed) installed by the boat builder. What do I have to do now?

I have my passed my radio exam and have my certificate. How do I get my MMSI and call sign?
Call the Radio Licensing Centre on 0870 243 4433 they will issue you with one along with your Radio Certificate.

Quote:
How do I ensure the radio is legal to use on Day 1? How do I get my little circular licence?
If you have a Handheld then you need a handheld Radio Licence, if you have a fixed radio then you will need a Ships Radio Licence, all of which are available from the numbers I have given you. I think I applied for these online, I cannot remember the Web Address but am sure they can give you this.
Quote:
Do I do things or does the boat builder?
I believe it is down to you to sort out your Radio Licence, I organised mine myself. Call the Radio Licensing Centre on 0870 243 4433.

Quote:
PS How do I get a number plate for my new trailer with my car reg on it?
You need to take your Registration Document and your driving licence to a Number Plate Shop ie Halfords and they will make you one up.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 15 September 2004, 05:33   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The online application for the Ships Radio License (which includes issue of the MMSI for DSC) is here: http://www.radiolicenceforms.co.uk/S...ationNotes.asp
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2004, 07:28   #4

I have applied on line for the licence. Thank you for the input and URL.

Do I now wait for the MMSI to be sent to me? Or will my new radio in the new boat have one pre-set? If it needs entering into the new radio, do I do that or does the boat builder need to do it?

Armed with my Certificate of Competance from the RYA VHF DSC exam, and with the licence which will no doubt arrive in due course through the post, it will be legal for me to use the radio? That is all I need to do?

Went to Coastguard yesterday at SBS. Now totally confused about paperwork.

Is this correct:

A. https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/default.asp is the Small Ships Register and is advisable. True? But what am I paying for for £12?

B. Part 1 registration is optional, expensive and unneccessary. True?

C. http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-hm...-hmcg-cg66.htm is free, a different register solely for safety and is strongly advisable True?

So all I NEED to do is C. and possibly A.. True?

Thanks

Bruce
Old 15 September 2004, 07:39   #5

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Looking forward to seeing your new boat!

Not sure, but I think anyone can input the MMSI which will be sent to you but, IIRC, you only get one chance. If you get it wrong the set has to go back to the supplier to be reprogrammed. Have I remembered that correctly, Superradioman?

You need to display your ship's radio licence (not licence to operate) on, I think, the port side. That's all there is to it - until next year when you'll need to renew it - they will send a renewal notice to you. We always carry our licences to operate when we are on the boat (in an Aquapac bag with other important stuff).

The SSR is needed if you intend to use your boat abroad and, as far as I know, your £12 covers you for as long as you have the boat.

The CG66 is free and I can't see a reason why anyone would not fill it in.

Don't know about Part 1 registration!

HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2004, 07:44   #6

Thanks, but what soes the SSR actually confer on you? The right to use the Ensign???
Old 15 September 2004, 07:48   #7

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
I have just received my licence disc in the post, I applied for it a week or so ago, the MMSI number is unique to your installation and there will be one for the fixed set and if you intend to have another DSC type handheld (and requested this on your application) you will be issued with another number. The numbers are in limited supply so they request only to issue the minimum of MMSI numbers. These numbers will have to be entered into the radios before use otherwise you will be using an unrecognisable MMSI number which defeats the whole DSC ethos. Beware depending on the radio you have the number can be set only once, be careful when doing it and you should check with the supplier on the procedure to reset this number if you ever wish to sell the set or switch it to another boat as the MMSI is not transferrable to another person or vessel.

I was told the SSR number is essential if you wish to travel abroad, don't know anything else about it.

Hope the above is of help.
Old 15 September 2004, 07:52   #8

I just done a bit of searching (don't you just love Google?) and as far as I can see all it does is confirm the boat's nationality. I would say that if you are sure you will never end up in France or any other country other than Britain, you probably don't need it. Don't know about the ensign bit.

The SSR does need to be renewed every 5 years but you only have to pay if the boat has changed hands.

Off to do a search on 'red ensign'...

Edit: can't find anything other than the fact that the red ensign is flown by British merchant ships and pleasure craft. The 'special' ensigns (e.g. white ensign; blue ensign) are allowed to be flown only if the right to fly them has been conferred, usually by being a member of a certain yacht club or similar. We've never been stopped by anyone and asked if we have the right to fly the red ensign.

I believe Part 1 registration refers to the Register of British Ships and is the part which covers merchant ships and also pleasure craft where ownership of the boat needs to be formally set out, e.g. boats which have been bought with a marine mortgage. Part 2 is for registering fishing vessels. You cannot be registered in Part 1 AND in the SSR.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:01   #9

Just another thing, if you need a number plate you have to provide the logbook as mentioned above, if, as many people, you have a leased or company car and do not have this document you have to request a letter from the body that has it to authorise a new number plate to be made ! I had a hell of a job with a contract hire vehicle some time ago. Don't know if it's relevant but it's a problem for loads of people.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Off to do a search on 'red ensign'...
Hello dear... I thought this one was quite concise: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...ritish-ensigns

Bruce, I think the answers are true, true and true - I would suggest doing A and C. Although the SSR is a confusing and poorly defined form of registration I suggest "going with the flow" as it effectively exempts you from regulation if you find yourself in foreign waters.
Old 15 September 2004, 08:15   #11

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Splitz
Make: Ring
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235015866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog
Just another thing, if you need a number plate you have to provide the logbook as mentioned above, if, as many people, you have a leased or company car and do not have this document you have to request a letter from the body that has it to authorise a new number plate to be made ! I had a hell of a job with a contract hire vehicle some time ago. Don't know if it's relevant but it's a problem for loads of people.
Off topic I know but:-

It makes me wonder if there should be a different style/colour for a trailer plate e.g. half white half yellow so cameras etc can still see them. Then you could just walk in and buy any number plate you required. Make it illegal to place on a car.

Who responsible for that Dept of Transport?
Old 15 September 2004, 08:33   #12

Good idea. I shall call my MP and suggest it

Old 15 September 2004, 08:33   #13

Now I know more than I did - not especially sure if the world is a better place though Thx for help.

Wot size red ensign looks cool on a 6.5M rib? And where do you put it? And do you 'furl' it - getting with the jargon here! If so, how?

Bruce
Old 15 September 2004, 08:44   #14

Our red ensign is about 2' x 1.5'. It's attached by plastic 'jubilee clip' type things - can't remember proper name - which secure the cords to the A-frame. I think a proper little flag pole looks better though! We just wrap ours round the A-frame tube and tie cord around it - probably not the proper way but that's what we do.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:54   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
... it effectively exempts you from regulation if you find yourself in foreign waters.
Go and expand on that a little please Richard.
Old 15 September 2004, 10:46   #16

Louise,

Can you please expand on the Jubilee Clips you use - describe in a bit more detail please?

Thanks
Old 15 September 2004, 11:08   #17

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Louise,

Can you please expand on the Jubilee Clips you use - describe in a bit more detail please?

Thanks
I may be wrong but I believe Louise is referring to cable ties!
Nick
Old 15 September 2004, 11:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
It's attached by plastic 'jubilee clip' type things - can't remember proper name...
Tie wraps. (or as Nick correctly guessed, "cable ties")

JW - If, say, a South coast based UK RIB was to cruise over to the French coast, then a UK SSR registration, an ICC and insurance certificate are the basic documents needed to comply with French regulations. Given that an ICC is quite straigtforward to obtain in the UK, this seems preferable to going through the French certification method, which is compulsory for our European neighbours.
Old 15 September 2004, 11:41   #19

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
if going foreign , you must display a courtesy flag of the country you are visiting. red duster flown between sunrise and sunset indicates the ships master is on board thats all i can remember re the flags from navy college
oh and dipping the flag as you pass a British war ship realy pees them off
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 15 September 2004, 11:45   #20

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
oh and dipping the flag as you pass a British war ship realy pees them off
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Especially submarines (on the surface). They always seem to be looking the other way when you do.
We got them once. Very funny to see a hatch open and some poor s*d running down the hull to respond.