Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 March 2006, 04:36   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
It isnít that big, it fits happily on a 100mm square and you could argue that the smaller the boat the bigger the reflector should be
Wheres it going to fit then ???


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
There is no evidence for this
Theres no evidence against it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
the reflector is only 400mm high where the aerial is a 1000mm
Eh
__________________

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 07:55   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Wheres it going to fit then ???
Oh sorry didnít realise you didnít have a proper A frame Iím sure that if you really want one you could fabricate a bracket that would fit one off to one side. Incidentally you wouldnít fit a Trilens on there either
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Eh
The picture you show isnít my aerial, I have a half wavelength one which to be precise is 950mm. Des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 08:07   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
I dont realy want a trilense either - as I see little point for a radar reflector in the first place, but if I wanted to fit one - it would go very nicely under the a-frame where the echomax would be too large and get in the way of the engine.

"proper A frame" - cheeky bugger - thats a beutifully crafted 2" diameter 'ard as nails wakeboarding tow frame that cost twice as much as a standard frame. but admitedly not the best for mounting radar reflectors.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 08:41   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
.....as I see little point for a radar reflector in the first place ........
I find that strange because judging by other comments youíve made you come across as Mr cautious and anything to limit your risk should be right up your street
In my opinion radar reflectors help people to see you and possible avoid you or warn you of there presence additionally they also help people to find you
Whatís your view on flares great if they look nice but a no no if they take up too much room Des
__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:09   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
I carry a pack of mini flares plus a selection of parachutes and smokes.

I carry a backup handheld GPS.

I carry a backup handheld VHF.

I do think there should be laws that make sure that people at sea are prepared and able to handle their boats and that the boats the selves are seaworthy.

I think radar reflectors are way over the top. - I make a habit of knowing whats going on around me and don't feel the need to show up on a ships screen that is never going to have to avoid me. The only time I ever feel I would need a radar reflector is if I had complete electrical and engine failure in a shipping lane in Fog or at Night. The day/night that that happens I will think back to this thread and think to myself "I wish I had listened to Des". But for now completely rearranging my A-frames electronics or welding extra bits on to it etc etc is way too much hassle when I feel the benefit of the end result is minimal - and yes I do care how my RIB looks - like most other people do - other wise why would you get offered colour choice etc when buying the things in the first place. In fact even the echomax people manufacture it in 3 colours, why, that serves no function. If a radar reflector was small easy to fit and sensibly priced and wouldn't get in the way of everything else on my boat - I would fit one.
As for thinking I'm cautious you should see me drive my RIB

The way I do things and the decisions and opinions I have are not always considered conventional - but they feel right to me - and I can always give reasons for my decisions as they are thought out and well considered and never because that's just what someone else thinks.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:18   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
I do think there should be laws that make sure that people at sea are prepared and able to handle their boats and that the boats the selves are seaworthy.
Judging by this and other of your posts, you certainly seem to be a man for wanting laws.
Quote:
I think radar reflectors are way over the top.
..but you are prepared to ignore them when you feel like it.
Quote:
The way I do things and the decisions and opinions I have are not always considered conventional - but they feel right to me -
..me Lud.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:22   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
So weíve established that the Echomax is easy to fit and in the absence of any real evidence to the contrary Trilens is less effective, the only question left is about appearance (bling bling bling)
I can not understand why you would buy anything that would compromise function for form. Your argument in support of Trilens is entirely counter to the argument you use in support of Land Rovers where function is paramount and never compromised for form.
Trilens might look like a UFO (quote cp) but if it doesnít work as effectively as it should you might as well not fit it

If there was a MAJOR difference in performance then you would be right - in the tests I saw there wasn't and in certain situations the trilens was MORE effective.

Anyway the bigger the better so by your reasoning you should fit the biggest Echomax they make!!!

I agree there is no point in fitting something that isn't going to work properly which is why I have avoided most of the other reflectors.

Of course the ultimate has to be the SeeMe and it is small and looks great - shame about the £450 price tag!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:27   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Judging by this and other of your posts, you certainly seem to be a man for wanting laws.
..but you are prepared to ignore them when you feel like it...me Lud.
What are you suggesting/implying
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:51   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
I carry a pack of mini flares plus a selection of parachutes and smokes.

I carry a backup handheld GPS.

I carry a backup handheld VHF.

I do think there should be laws that make sure that people at sea are prepared and able to handle their boats and that the boats the selves are seaworthy.

I think radar reflectors are way over the top. -.
You certianly have the correct kit for safety on the sea, but how effective would the flares be in fog.

Under Solas it is a requirement for sea going vessels to have a radar reflector. The whole purpose of a reflector is for other vessels to see you, and the bigger the reflector the better.

Would you be saying to yourself you consider them worthless is a vessel colided with you and wrote off your boat because you didnt have one

Simon
__________________
Simon Hawkins
http://www.rnli.org.uk/cowes
Simon Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:57   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
If there was a MAJOR difference in performance then you would be right - in the tests I saw there wasn't and in certain situations the trilens was MORE effective.
Go on king of gooogle, prove it
There is nothing on the Trilens website about there performance other than they say they are good whereas Echomax show their results warts and all Des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.