Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 March 2006, 18:34   #21
DJL
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 929
Well all the data I have seen puts the performance of the standard Trilens well below that of the Echomax EM230. Furthermore only the large Trilens meets ISO8729 (not sure about RORC or ORC) - where as the EM230 does and is significantly smaller and lighter.

Do Trilens publish polar diagrams for any of their reflectors?
__________________

__________________
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2006, 19:06   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Well all the data I have seen puts the performance of the standard Trilens well below that of the Echomax EM230. Furthermore only the large Trilens meets ISO8729 (not sure about RORC or ORC) - where as the EM230 does and is significantly smaller and lighter.

Do Trilens publish polar diagrams for any of their reflectors?

They had them in the mag tests - YM or PBO or similar. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying the trilens will outperform the Echomax - just that it is the best one around for it's compact size - excluding the SeeMe of course!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2006, 08:56   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 791
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I haven't seen Firdell Blipper being mentioned here yet

It may not be cheap, but you can get a stainless bracket for it which holds it in place too. Unfortunately, the stainless screws that hold the bracket onto its base lost their thread in some rough weather, so I had it welded to its base and now the thing is solid as a rock.

I personally wouldn't get an aerial the same height as the reflector and put it right next to it since it will have some effect on the transmission/reception (I'm sure this was discussed sometime back). Fine, probably if it was in the haven, then no one will notice, but for example, if I'm 20miles offshore at the Smalls, I'd want to ensure that the aerials are much higher to get all round reception without anything in their way.

-Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alexrib2004_0905BA.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	18098  
__________________
Flickr Photos
Youtube Videos
Alex Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2006, 10:34   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
That's because it's another dustbin......
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2006, 15:30   #25
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,115
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger
Because it's not a toy!

It does not look that bad.


Why did you choose an orange one?? It looks a bit silly on a white and blue boat.

I just can't help wondering the guy in the shop ran out of white ones and palmed you of with an orange one until he got more stock in!!


WHY???
__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2006, 15:34   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 382
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
Why did you choose an orange one?? It looks a bit silly on a white and blue boat.

I just can't help wondering the guy in the shop ran out of white ones and palmed you of with an orange one until he got more stock in!!


WHY???
That is another issue!!! You could be right!
__________________
http://www.5starmarine.co.uk
Solent Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 03:27   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The echomax is great but not that easy to mount on a RIB - have a look at the Viking Trilens - looks really cool and is very effective as well.....
So weíve established that the Echomax is easy to fit and in the absence of any real evidence to the contrary Trilens is less effective, the only question left is about appearance (bling bling bling)
I can not understand why you would buy anything that would compromise function for form. Your argument in support of Trilens is entirely counter to the argument you use in support of Land Rovers where function is paramount and never compromised for form.
Trilens might look like a UFO (quote cp) but if it doesnít work as effectively as it should you might as well not fit it
__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 03:53   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
You are forgetting 2 very practical reasons not to go for echomax.

1. The shear size of it - would prevent it being fitted to alot of ribs - mine included - my a-frame is full of other kit.

2. fitted next to an antenna - it will greatly reduce radio reception and transmition in that direction.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 04:07   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
...1. The shear size of it - would prevent it being fitted to alot of ribs ....
It isnít that big, it fits happily on a 100mm square and you could argue that the smaller the boat the bigger the reflector should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
2. fitted next to an antenna - it will greatly reduce radio reception and transmition in that direction.
There is no evidence for this:- a)they work on different frequencies b)the reflector is only 400mm high where the aerial is a 1000mm and c)because an aerial radiates around 360 degrees the reflector could at the most shield only 20 or 30 degrees, if it has any effect at all. Des
__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 04:34   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
I have an Echomax fitted to the top of my A-Frame. I constantly use the VHF, and have also tested the reception and transmit next to another boat with same VHF and Arial without any differnce. I am not an expert on VHF transmission and reception but can safely say that I did not encounter any differences between the two craft.


Simon
__________________

__________________
Simon Hawkins
http://www.rnli.org.uk/cowes
Simon Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.