Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Position of Antenna?

Ok so moving on from the last post of getting a VHF, its been noted that a fixed set is a good idea to compliment my handheld.

However i have a bit of an issue. I currently have a Zodiac Pro 420. Now i intended to fit an ali pole with a mount and antenna on top of the transom, however having looked at the room i have (not a lot), i'm not sure it will fit.

Does anyone have any ideas where to or how to mount the VHF pole and antenna. I have attached pics so you can see just how tight it all it.

I thought maybe on the console but think this may get in the way, or on the back of the seat but then i'll end up hitting my head on it. Anyone done this before with limited space or got any pics / ideas for me. If not i might resort to carrier pigeons.

Matt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 002.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	61399   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 003.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	61400   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 004.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	61401   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 015.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	61402  
Old 05 August 2011, 14:13   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Craghopper
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70
How about getting a bracket welded to the U-frame over the windscreen, pre-drilled for the antenna to mount? It won't take up floor space, you won't bang your head on it, cabling to the radio is easy (I assume the radio is going into the console) and it's as high as it gets on the boat.

Arthur
Old 05 August 2011, 15:12   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Metz do a handrail adaptor for their VHF antenna. Speak to Salty John. I've done the same thing with my boat. It may not be the final location for it - I'd eventually like to fit a stern light pole with a bracket for the antenna. I'll post a picture later to illustrate.

Details here: Salty John: Metz Manta- 6 Marine VHF Antenna Accessories and other fine boat products.
Old 05 August 2011, 20:12   #4

Cheers chaps, yup, i'm thinking my only option is going to be using the handrail around the screen and using a uclamp.

Spartacus if you do post a picture that would be great.

I'm going to have a longer think to see if there is anyway i can get it on the transom but it may be easiest and higher on the rail although directly in our line of sight when standing up (which i normally am)

Old 05 August 2011, 20:38   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I would have thought a simple stand-off bracket mounted on the transom to which you can then attach a transom pole. The stand-off can be made to suit the angle of the transom and keep the pole away from the engine cables etc. Probably more expensive than a rail mount at the console, but far superior and gives you the option for a nav light too.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2011, 21:12   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
Cheers chaps, yup, i'm thinking my only option is going to be using the handrail around the screen and using a uclamp.
Pictures as discussed. The location isn't perfect, but it does for now. The Metz antenna is pretty rigid. I thought it might whip back and forth in a rough sea, but it's never made contact with the screen. The Metz adaptor (with the addition of another s/s bracket would also allow you to fit it on the handrail over the screen). I simply drilled a small hole in the side of the console and used a couple of rubber tap grommets (drilled and placed inside and out) for a complete water-tight seal. Still deliberating whether the mount location (too near the radio transmitter) is interfering with reception. Tested it with a hand-held ICOM (a month or so ago) and picked up a signal a couple of miles away.

Come the Autumn, I'm looking at a Perko LED sternlight as a possible antenna mount. Although looking at the poles which are made of aluminium rather than stainless-steel, I'm not sure if they're up to the job?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RIBcraft.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	61423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01708.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	61424  
Old 05 August 2011, 21:23   #7

Cheers for the Pic.

Before i rush into doing it i'm going to have a play around with some poles etc and see what and where looks best and if a transom mount will fit. Plus i dont want to start drilling holes if its going to be no good. I did find this Pacific Aerials SeaMaster Pro Nylon Rail Mount c/w 5m Cable - Only £27.95 - Force 4 Chandlery which will allow for the pacific aerial to be mounted on my rail vertically. (Channel Ribs is cheaper though than these guys) The aerial is 1m so should give me the range on there too without the need for a pole. Just concerns me that i may get fed up with it being in front of me.

Love the ribcraft too.

Cheers Erin, will have a think about how to set that up aswell.
Old 06 August 2011, 12:54   #8

So looking at the rail mounted option, here are my choices. Side rail of console, top of rail on console or behind seat on a rail there.

Any thoughts. Thinking that console will be higher than the seat option, but will be in my view 24/7.

Wonder if my satellite may get in the way....... as you can see my drawing talents are endless. Picasso eat your heart out..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aerial location..jpg
Views:	250
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	61433  
Old 06 August 2011, 15:58   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Pole on the back of the bench seat?
Old 06 August 2011, 16:39   #10

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Pole on the back of the bench seat?
Old 06 August 2011, 17:18   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Without wanting to start a riot - as the OP was originally considering just a handheld - I'd vote for KISS and stick something on the console handrail. Buy enough cable for a longer run and just coil it in the console. You won't notice the antenna in your field of view after a few minutes as you focus ahead. If you decide to go night cruising in the 4 meter Zodiac you can think about poles and lights and stuff later, no extra costs or time now.
Old 06 August 2011, 19:25   #12

Right, i'm there, all being well.

Going for the Icom, Pro rail mount, pro 1m aerial and flush fit kit.

Will place it on the seat to start with (spare bit of rail), but of course this gives me the option of moving it to the console if its in the way as neither of these require any drilling.

I'm not sure if i can get the pole actually attached to the seat base as the backrest to the seat extends further back than the base. see pic.

If it still annoys me then i can look into the transom option at a later date.

Phew. Now for just the painful bit of paying and fitting.

I can well recommend Channel Ribs. He has been great for advice and price (hopefully) ha ha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat 010.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	61435   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 012.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	61436  
Old 06 August 2011, 19:34   #13

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
Right, i'm there, all being well.

Going for the Icom, Pro rail mount, pro 1m aerial and flush fit kit.

Will place it on the seat to start with, but of course this gives me the option of moving it to the console if its in the way as neither of these require any drilling.

If it still annoys me then i can look into the transom option at a later date.

Phew. Now for just the painful bit of paying and fitting.

I can well recommend Channel Ribs. He has been great for advice and price (hopefully) ha ha.
seconded
Old 08 August 2011, 13:51   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The corner of your transom where the steering cable curves round is screaming "insert pole here" to me.

One thing if you mount it on the console, try to make the tip either well above or below eye level........ My A- frame only just clears the engine when tilted, and I have to be super careful I don't take my eye out with the Raider when I'm back there.....)

Other thing - if you have it that close to your head- only use 25W power when absolutely necessary!
Old 10 August 2011, 16:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
The corner of your transom where the steering cable curves round is screaming "insert pole here" to me.

Other thing - if you have it that close to your head- only use 25W power when absolutely necessary!
Good spot. Once it all arrives from the channel islands i will pop up to our local metral fabrication unit and see what they can muster up for me. They made a jockey console back rest for me for the old boat so a straight piece of metal with some brackets shouldnt be an issue or an expense. Especially now you've mentioned the old 25w next to my head issue.
Old 22 August 2011, 19:22   #16

Woohoo, what a day

Well, parcel arrived from Channel Ribs today and i set about installing the VHF and transom pole so here is how i got on.

Started off with the template on the console, marked it all out and set about cutting the hole. All going well until i tried to slide the radio in and the wheel was in the way. So after quite some time scratching my head on how to get the bloody wheel off, i decided on gentle encouragement and bingo.

Connected everything up and linked it to the GPS, but no position coming up, more head scratching, a bit of searching on here and realised i needed to earth the negative wire on the vhf nmea wire too, bingo. Then tried pushing the aerial through the cable tidy, bit more head scratching when it got stuck, anyway you get the picture. But all is in and i now have a position on the vhf and can receive transmissions. Phew.

Also managed to squeeze the transom pole into the nats arse sized gap i had too.
Thanks one and all for the help and advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	London, bday roy and dave, boat 055.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	61929   Click image for larger version

Name:	London, bday roy and dave, boat 056.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	61930   Click image for larger version

Name:	London, bday roy and dave, boat 057.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	61931  
Old 22 August 2011, 23:06   #17

RIBase
Like the transom pole. What's the make?

I need to move my own antenna (Metz) as it's unreliable in its current position (mounted on console handrail). Was at Peterhead last weekend and heard zero chatter on ch16 even with the squelch adjusted. Could be the antenna is too close to the receiver?
Old 23 August 2011, 06:37   #18

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
We made that up I am afraid to say. Heavy walled aluminum, stainless is available too. 1m long and fixed with three screws whos heads fit through to the aft of the tube to allow easy passage of the coax.

The mount on top is a standard rail mount, but as you can see allows enough tilt to straighten the rake of the transom and get the antenna vertical. The 1m is usually enough to get the antenna above the engine.

Having the antenna too close to the VHF set is unlikely to cause problems, certainly not to reduce receive performance and the Metz is a superb whip. I would check/change the coax first and play around with the antenna height.
Old 23 August 2011, 08:47   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Having the antenna too close to the VHF set is unlikely to cause problems, certainly not to reduce receive performance and the Metz is a superb whip. I would check/change the coax first and play around with the antenna height.
Fitted the ICOM M411 this year. New coax, connectors soldered, etc. Did tests with hand-held ICOM radio when the boat was in the garage and still picked up a signal up to a mile away.

However since fitting, I'm receiving absolutely no chatter (on scan mode). We launch from Cruden Bay or Stonehaven, so at the least I should be getting fishing traffic.

How much would it be for a similar transom post in aluminium or stainless steel. Please PM me.
Old 23 August 2011, 08:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I can well recommend the pole and of course Channel Ribs who made it for me. It is very strong and sturdy with the three screws but i've yet to try it on the water. I turned it all on yesterday and was receiving lots of chatter. The beauty with the pacific areial is it unscrews after use and allows the boat to slide into the garage with about 2mm to spare. Saves on messing around with wires everyday.