Old 08 February 2016, 18:39   #1

Length: 3m +
PLB registration - slow or useless

[Rant]I bought a PLB in June 2015. I registered it by sending the paperwork before the end of June.

I went away with it in July.

They have today sent me the registration paperwork (incorrectly registering my phone no in the process but indicating they know its wrong (too many digits)). I know there is a lag in sending out forms etc but the database gets updated sooner (that in its self seems odd!) - but it shows as registered in September. Seriously? I filled the information in on a online form.
[/rant]
Old 08 February 2016, 19:09   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yep mine took months as well and I had to amend the details.. For such a lifeline service they need to appraise their systems the database has to reflect the correct current users who are depending on them for coordination.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2016, 19:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Yep mine took months as well and I had to amend the details.. For such a lifeline service they need to appraise their systems the database has to reflect the correct current users who are depending on them for coordination.
Yip so wrong number, plus I was forced to name a boat so I did, and ticked the options for use on land plus I expect I would have ticked an option for "variety of vessels" which they state in the letter today I should tell them if that is the case. There is nothing on the form that indicates they've registered that - so it appears possible they will be searching for me in a specific boat that I may not be in.
Presume it will take another 7 months for the update to be populated.

Would be much simpler if the online form was interfaced to their database! Could generate me a PDF registration document and save them the printing and postage. They've sent me a sticker to put on the PLB to say its registered - I suspect its not waterproof...
Old 08 February 2016, 19:52   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
They've sent me a sticker to put on the PLB to say its registered - I suspect its not waterproof...
Are you likely to forget who you are if you get wet?

Quit bitching (nothing further inferred ) - you have an excellent system that works. Who cares if your Facebook status fails to update if you are listed as Missing? The important thing is that when the button is pressed, they know you are in the poo. Be assured that so long as your co-ords are offshore or upland - they'll be coming for you. Irrespective of where Mrs Shiny thinks you should be....

As an aside, I've had a couple of "chats" with the folks in Falmouth and they've been absolutely exemplary - complete Pros.
Old 08 February 2016, 20:14   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Quit bitching (nothing further inferred ) - you have an excellent system that works. Who cares if your Facebook status fails to update if you are listed as Missing? The important thing is that when the button is pressed, they know you are in the poo. Be assured that so long as your co-ords are offshore or upland - they'll be coming for you. Irrespective of where Mrs Shiny thinks you should be....

As an aside, I've had a couple of "chats" with the folks in Falmouth and they've been absolutely exemplary - complete Pros.
Yes take your points. but there is something wrong with their system and one would expect in this day and age that such a database was correct and the supporting information and forms should allow flexibility so that all the correct info regarding the person to which it is registered to is indeed factual and certified. Yes I also agree that when I to had a chat with the folks at HQ they were indeed very helpful and professional, just wish their forms and database was the same it would instil a little more confidence in the back up system.
Old 08 February 2016, 20:50   #6

So I wasn't (intending) to be moaning about the MCA. I'm sure they are doing a good job but a number of things concern me:

- My information was (slightly) wrong. Its taken 7 months for me to be aware of that. So if I pressed the Red Button yesterday they couldn't have phoned me but could have phoned my shore contact.
- If neither of my shore contacts answered they appear to be looking for a sailing vessel but I could be on a RIB. Perhaps in my territories not that big an issue but for the Solent boys could take a bit of working out which boat has an issue although you'd expect they just pick up their mobile or wave!
- What happens if in July after I sent in the registration (electronically), but before its on the database, I press the Red Button? I assume they will send an asset to investigate. But again they don't know who or what to look for.

And then daftest things are:
- I provided the data electronically but they appear to have manually re-entered it (feels inefficient) - not the staff on the ground's fault
- It took 2 months to enter it - fair enough they are busy - but why then a further 5 months to send the document out. Why couldn't that be sent to the email on the form instantly it was registered? The only reason I can see is the sticky label which I'm not sure I see the value in.

The sticky label - I wasn't criticising that it wasn't waterproof - just its the only bit I can see that would be impossible to send electronically. But I'm not sure I understand the purpose of it. It says:

Code:
UK 406MHz Beacon Registry
24Hr Tel: +44 (0)1326 317575
BOAT NAME
Hex ID:  ###
GPS: ### SN: ###
Proof of Registration: 05/09/2015
I'm told to attach one to the device and one in my book of boat paperwork. But I'm not 100% sure what it achieves. If I give the device to someone else, they should give the HEX no on the device to the MCA. The only thing I can see is the phone number so you could call with a query etc.
Old 08 February 2016, 20:55   #7

Quote:
No - I'll just be even shinier! Concern was just that if the label is really important that after I've had it on the boat 10 minutes it will be illegible!

Quote:
Who cares if your Facebook status fails to update if you are listed as Missing?
ooo... there is an idea! No seriously they make a big thing about registering devices to help your rescue. Devices come with 5 or 6 year battery and are increasingly thought of as disposable at that point. if the first 7 months of that life they are not properly registered thats a bit of an issue.
Old 08 February 2016, 21:14   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Shiny, instead of winging on here to people who can do nothing about it why not email the CEO of the MCGA or ask your mp to fix it.
Old 09 February 2016, 07:05   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
very slow for mine too but they did warn they were expeariencing heavy demand took about 4 months no problems registaring tho.
did mine through the CG66 scheme.
cheers
Old 09 February 2016, 13:25   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
.....So if I pressed the Red Button yesterday they couldn't have phoned me......

But if you'd had a viable phone & the means to use it, would you have had need to fire off the PLB in the first place? Stop getting your knickers in a twist, if you trigger the PLB, the cavalry will be in its way, registered or not.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2016, 15:57   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
My information was (slightly) wrong. Its taken 7 months for me to be aware of that. So if I pressed the Red Button yesterday they couldn't have phoned me but could have phoned my shore contact.
- If neither of my shore contacts answered they appear to be looking for a sailing vessel but I could be on a RIB. Perhaps in my territories not that big an issue but for the Solent boys could take a bit of working out which boat has an issue although you'd expect they just pick up their mobile or wave!
- What happens if in July after I sent in the registration (electronically), but before its on the database, I press the Red Button? I assume they will send an asset to investigate. But again they don't know who or what to look for.
To address those concerns in order -

If they can't raise you by phone it will escalate the alert
You were registering a PLB, not a EPIRB, so the boat type (while noted) is not a huge factor. Neither is being at sea. They're not entirely looking for a yacht, a SIB, a RIB or a shiny shoe - they're looking for a PLB and if you're holding it when they arrive - all the better for you. This process will occur even if the unit is not registered

Now, one way to speed the registration process up would be to introduce a Fee, hire some staff and a few IT consultants. Hands up for a Small Fee?

No-one?

Thought so.

Old 09 February 2016, 16:03   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
a few IT consultants.
Quote:
a Small Fee?
Old 09 February 2016, 16:07   #13

RIBase
[QUOTE=willk

This process will occur even if the unit is not registered

Kind of begs the question why are we going through a elongated system then if it doesn't matter!!
Old 09 February 2016, 16:14   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Having contact details should help reduce the number of false alerts if the owner or shore contact can confirm that all is OK.
Old 09 February 2016, 16:34   #15

RIBase
So what happens to that very confirmation in the intervening months of processing the info?
Old 09 February 2016, 16:58   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
So what happens to that very confirmation in the intervening months of processing the info?
Just the same as if nobody answers your phone...
Old 09 February 2016, 17:04   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Just the same as if nobody answers your phone...

Which was my point to the OP, if you've got a working phone & are capable of answering it when the Coastie calls, you don't need a PLB.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2016, 17:08   #18

RIBase
My point also but from a different angle. Why register..........

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 09 February 2016, 17:35   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
So that when your grandkids accidentally set it off it can be dealt with by a phone call rather than a helicopter!
Old 09 February 2016, 18:50   #20

Quote:
Now, one way to speed the registration process up would be to introduce a Fee, hire some staff and a few IT consultants. Hands up for a Small Fee?
You'll have made Poly choke on his tea!

Well I think there are two options:
- Hire more staff and continue the current process which seems rather odd of submitting a form and then someone re-typing it into another system and then printing two seemingly pointless stickers and posting out a certificate.

- Integrate the online form so that what I enter goes live into the database. Forget the pointless non-waterproof sticker. Generate a PDF proof of registration for me to print / save to my phone etc.

The first would keep the IT consultants at bay, the second once built should keep the running costs down. That appears to be how radio licencing works but perhaps there is an office full of Civil Servants running it all!

I assume that the reason there is no fee is to encourage registration and updates. Or to get a Hex No is there really a small back-end fee? The trouble with fees is not the 'small fee' its the £20 handling charge someone creates to go with the fee.

The sales pitch for registering is very much that by registering they will know who or what they are searching for.