Top marks Mister P.
Old 09 January 2016, 15:00   #42

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by poly View Post
poly's rant on how to save lives at no cost with kill cords tomorrow!
if your mission is to make better use of the existing low tech solution all it needs it a very simple change. Rather than sharing one kill cord between all drivers and disconnecting the "user" end to swap between drivers if you make the standard operating procedure that the kc remains "permanently" attached to trusted users pfd (you do wear a pfd don't you?) then the practice is to disconnect the engine (or remote control) end of the cord every time you leave the console - either to go ashore, to swap drivers etc. That practice - which quickly becomes a "discipline" means that there is never a dangling cord not attached to anyone. The only time this sort of approach is unsuitable is in really dodgy conditions where you might not want to risk turning the engine off - i assume the skipper is competent to risk assess that and work around it appropriately.
Agree 100%, I have kill cord attached to my Life jacket, as does my wife (usual crew).
I have a spare attached to the rear of my seat, close enough to be reached by hand from helm position but far enough away not to reach the attachment point so it can't be used unless you move it from its storage location.
Old 09 January 2016, 22:02   #43

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
All I want to say is that I used to be a Gondola pilot and we served wine on many of our cruises... It's really hard to open a bottle while balancing on the back of a gondola. To make a long story short I got an amazing cork screw that probably saved me falling in the drink. Don't knock people for trying to change simple things.
Old 09 January 2016, 23:26   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
maybe open the wine before you get on the gondola .... just sayin....
Old 10 January 2016, 04:55   #45
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Of course not. The cheap unit is for the single fisherman/boater that is, out alone. Made of a variety of 'off the shelf ' components. The commercial model is a completely different item that would sell -commercially in the thousands. After checking my last post I believe it was clear 1 person v 8-12.
Old 10 January 2016, 05:04   #46
Spammer

Hopefully, I'll have it made and installed by early spring, then as I mentioned earlier, post a list of parts as well as pictures that anyone interested may build one.

On another note, just finished making the remote control including electric steering for what was a tiller controlled electric trolling motor (Min Kota Endura C60). Turned-out to be more work than I had thought during the design stage. Since there was not enough room on the stern for the electric and outboard, the electric can now be mounted on the bow but controlled from the rear of boat.
Old 10 January 2016, 05:10   #47
Spammer

POLY,
If you don't mind, start your own wise crack thread. This thread is about Marine Electronics, particularly here - a Safety Shut-Off wireless device.
THANK YOU.
Old 10 January 2016, 06:40   #48
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfisher View Post
POLY,
If you don't mind, start your own wise crack thread. This thread is about Marine Electronics, particularly here - a Safety Shut-Off wireless device.
THANK YOU.
So I am trying really hard to understand why you want to make something that
already exists in the market.
The Raymarine product effectively does exactly what you are proposing your
product would do. It doesnt start a strobe flashing in a specific location
on the boat, although its no doubt possible to do that as it starts an audible alarm.
And it doesnt shut off the outboard, as you propose,
but I cant help feeling that would be a tad inconvenient
and in some circumstances dangerous when someone on your boat is trying to recover you.

Please can you explain what your unique selling point is over the Raymarine
lifetag system?

I read about your remote steering quest for the electric outboard, but thought
why couldn't I steer the boat with the main outboard like a rudder,
if the electic outboard is mounted on the bow ? I have seen aux engines on
transoms with little clearance between them and the main outboard,
so they are locked off in the straight ahead position if required,
and the main outboard does the steering.
And then I read about the Mina Kota I-pilot system, which is a remote control
wireless system thats fits to the trolling motor and gives you control with a handset
whether bow or stern mounted, using GPS it will keep you over the same spot,
a clever piece of kit. Seems like you could have saved yourself a bit of time and effort there.

You know a lot of the guys on this forum are very experienced boaters, and
would be your hardest people to convince about a new product.
They dont suffer fools gladly and can be gritty sometimes, so dont
be discouraged, it just makes you think about what your going to post
a little more I find.
I applaud your efforts to improve anything safety related,
so really am intrigued as to what is new special or different about
your MOB tag idea. It's just that after 5 pages into the thread
am still not seeing it.
Old 10 January 2016, 07:13   #49
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
So I am trying really hard to understand why you want to make something that
already exists in the market.
The Raymarine product effectively does exactly what you are proposing your
product would do. It doesnt start a strobe flashing in a specific location
on the boat, although its no doubt possible to do that as it starts an audible alarm.
And it doesnt shut off the outboard, as you propose,
but I cant help feeling that would be a tad inconvenient
and in some circumstances dangerous when someone on your boat is trying to recover you.

Please can you explain what your unique selling point is over the Raymarine
lifetag system?

I read about your remote steering quest for the electric outboard, but thought
why couldn't I steer the boat with the main outboard like a rudder,
if the electic outboard is mounted on the bow ? I have seen aux engines on
transoms with little clearance between them and the main outboard,
so they are locked off in the straight ahead position if required,
and the main outboard does the steering.
And then I read about the Mina Kota I-pilot system, which is a remote control
wireless system thats fits to the trolling motor and gives you control with a handset
whether bow or stern mounted, using GPS it will keep you over the same spot,
a clever piece of kit. Seems like you could have saved yourself a bit of time and effort there.

You know a lot of the guys on this forum are very experienced boaters, and
would be your hardest people to convince about a new product.
They dont suffer fools gladly and can be gritty sometimes, so dont
be discouraged, it just makes you think about what your going to post
a little more I find.
I applaud your efforts to improve anything safety related,
so really am intrigued as to what is new special or different about
your MOB tag idea. It's just that after 5 pages into the thread
am still not seeing it.
I would have read your very long and no doubt interesting post, but I'm too busy inventing a telephone that doesn't need wires...

:-P
Old 10 January 2016, 07:23   #50
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I would have read your very long and no doubt interesting post, but I'm too busy inventing a telephone that doesn't need wires...

Oooo - good - I can use it to call you until you finish your plans for a
a system of messages using the world wide web
Old 10 January 2016, 07:28   #51
Spammer

Had already made a remote back in the late eighties for my 16 foot grew. Worked great and ran an arm to the outboard from the electric and both steered through the steering system. But bot were on the stern.
I bring up the boating projects I'm working-on here in case of interest, really could not care about the noisy negativists, lol. Yes, this forum does have both experienced boaters AND experienced whiners too.

As for steering a bow mounted electric from using the outboard, tried-it once and it was anything but responsive and that was on a deep V bottom boat.

I would imagine using the same technique with a flat-bottomed SIB would be next to impossible other than eventual course correction due to sliding. I had an extra 14 volt drill which I could no longer get batteries for, including the manufacturer..so thought perhaps I could put it to use in making a steering system for the to be bow-mounted electric. 14 volt motor will run OK under a 12.6 volt battery.

The reason for the remote engine shut off is exactly for that purpose - shut-off the engine ( a bypass switch will be mounted on the cowl for a second party to restart), there will also be a keyed system which will disallow starting of the outboard while I'm away from the dock. So many here have lost their boats to theft while docked. Most outboard engines, even keyed, will start by simply unplugging the electrical harness.
The strobe (and receiver unit) as I had mentioned will be mounted between the stern lamp and pole.

The SOS strobe is in case of going overboard after getting caught in a storm or severe weather that I can see the boat and to hopefully-alert others should it drift faster than one can swim.

As for the commercial version, it will do several things and will require double antennas, etc.. Since it's not an "Off the Shelf" device, it has to be designed-electronically hence seeing an engineer.
Old 10 January 2016, 07:52   #52
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
The reason for the remote engine shut off is exactly for that purpose - shut-off the engine ( a bypass switch will be mounted on the cowl for a second party to restart), there will also be a keyed system which will disallow starting of the outboard while I'm away from the dock. So many here have lost their boats to theft while docked. Most outboard engines, even keyed, will start by simply unplugging the electrical harness.
The strobe (and receiver unit) as I had mentioned will be mounted between the stern lamp and pole.

The SOS strobe is in case of going overboard after getting caught in a storm or severe weather that I can see the boat and to hopefully-alert others should it drift faster than one can swim.

As for the commercial version, it will do several things and will require double antennas, etc.. Since it's not an "Off the Shelf" device, it has to be designed-electronically hence seeing an engineer.
So - the engine shut off... there will be a bypass switch on the cowl, and a keyed system.
My outboard already has a key system, in fact I think all electrically started outboards have one,
and the bypass switch on the cowl, doesnt fill me with confidence from a security or reliability aspect.

I am all too familiar with the scenario you mention for the SOS Strobe
- but the Raymarine unit will display your MOB position on the boats plotter
through the SeaTalk system (handy if someone is looking for you!)
and if by myself - I am reaching for my PLB and handheld VHF at that point.
Not sure the strobe is the most useful alerting
device to trigger.
Old 10 January 2016, 08:02   #53
Spammer

They'll have to tow it!
Old 10 January 2016, 08:18   #54

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
It will drift faster than you can swim if it's either a storm of severe weather, i can almost guarantee it.
PLB and/or handheld radio is your best option, not sure a flashing light on the transom of a sib is going to be that visible especially if no one is actually looking for you yet.
Old 10 January 2016, 08:23   #55
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
Oooo - good - I can use it to call you until you finish your plans for a
a system of messages using the world wide web
Well the great thing about that is you'd have the discussion to yourselves and not have to endure other people's wisecracks on YOUR thread.
Old 10 January 2016, 08:25   #56

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
In addition to sounding an alarm & placing the MOB waypoint on the plotter ( I assume you would be building that functionality into your system, Nightfisher), the Raymarine unit also has an auxiliary 12v switched output on alarm to err umm.... switch a strobe on/cut out engine/raise a flag/put the kettle on etc.
Not whinging, just saying.........
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 10:09   #57

Quote:
I bring up the boating projects I'm working-on here in case of interest, really could not care about the noisy negativists, lol
Well.. Plenty of people have wasted their money ignoring common sense advice. I haven't seen a poster say.... Oooh let me know when you've built it and I will buy one.

Quote:
Yes, this forum does have both experienced boaters AND experienced whiners too.
I don't think that can be the case... I suggest you read the forum rules.

Quote:
As for steering a bow mounted electric from using the outboard, tried-it once and it was anything but responsive and that was on a deep V bottom boat.
ERM... D'ya think that there is a reason most engines are designed to push rather than pull the boat?

Quote:
there will also be a keyed system which will disallow starting of the outboard while I'm away from the dock. So many here have lost their boats to theft while docked.
round here I think more are list on trailers or rather just engines...
But unless you are reprogramming the engine management unit it will always be possible to either short or break the circuit and start it. Your only advantage will be security through obscurity while no-one knows about your code bit. As soon as you do you are screwed. Also if you have to leave the console to enter a code to start the engine I'm starting to understand why you don't like KCs.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I told you once before to look up MustRIBs round Ireland incident. He is one of the few people who could first hand have benefitted from a MOB device. Oh he was it was red n curly and did its job. Anyway. He was unable to catch his boat. He was in a sea but not a storm. No suggestion in his reports that finding him or his rib once assets arrived was a problem. Yet your functions could well have left him drifting with no rescue coming.

Quote:
Didn't answer the question. What stops someone using your single user device commercially or expanding it up to multiuser. Yes on a ship you generally need SOLAS approvals etc on a yacht I want all 8 crew wired up.

And still nothing the Raymarine can't do with a linked in relay?

Oh and as for telling Poly to get his own thread... Did he touch a nerve there perhaps? When he explained that for less than £10 per crew member authorised to helm you can stop anyone forgetting to apply the KC by permanently fixing it to their Life Jacket...? I'm awaiting a poster to explain why that doesn't work for them ... Coz its worked for me for years but maybe I missed something.
Old 10 January 2016, 21:32   #58

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
When we had a cabin RIB- with an autopilot - I imposed a no leaving the cabin rule when single handed.

Just so tempting !

You could make a cup of tea Tho; or as I often did when single handed sit in the passenger seat and Nav from there.
Old 12 January 2016, 06:52   #59
Spammer

Hi all,
Seems to me, it would be far better catching up with your boat than it just cruising away Without You. Isn't that what the age-old designed tether's for.

I fish Canadian lakes and sometimes the Pacific Ocean, where wave & weather is not as severe.. so the unit has (perhaps) more usefulness here. Lastly I fish through the night for night feeding - Walleye (another important reason for the SOS strobe).

Quite an interest elsewhere and for many here that have PM'd me about the design. But as I said, I really could care less for debunkers. The remote will comes with a total of four on buttons so there's addition things that can be utilized through it, as you suggest Raymarine unit.
Old 12 January 2016, 08:16   #60
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Hi all,
Seems to me, it would be far better catching up with your boat than it just cruising away Without You. Isn't that what the age-old designed tether's for.
What makes you think you will catch up with it. The tether is designed to stop the engine, but you might be surprised how quick it drifts at a different speed from you.

Quote:
The remote will comes with a total of four on buttons so there's addition things that can be utilized through it, as you suggest Raymarine unit.
No nmea output though?

I'm not trying to Diss your idea (Afterall Raymarine have presumably done market research) but if it's main application is for trolling at night would the yachting approach of a safety harness that ensures you remain on board not work?