Old 16 March 2011, 13:51   #11
Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat
Would expect output to be DC but you can only be certain with an Oscilloscope.
Can you see that output is coming from a rectifier? this would make it DC.
Is there not a circuit diagram in your handbook?

donald463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 15:56   #12
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Measure the leads with the diode test function on your digital multimeter. you should measure open circuit one way, and about 1.2volts drop the otherway. this proves the presence of a rectifier voltage drop. if you get continuity both ways then its an AC output and needs a Rectifier adding. If its a low wattage output called a lighting output, then a regulator isnt nesscesary as the battery will clamp the voltage down to 15 volts maximum, as the battery reverse impedance falls rapidly at over this voltage.

I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 16:14   #13
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
You have AC power coming from under the flywheel, and (as i have not read all the answers etc) im guessing manual start engine? If its manual start you will have no regulator/rectifier fitted which you will need.

Outboards do have a very low output at tick over so to get round this you can fit a large capacitor to give you a better constant power. Really the best way to get regulated power would be to get the engine to charge a battery and run everything from the battery.
Black Dog Marine
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 20:02   #14
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
The engines have the pre-described green wires coming out from beneath the flywheel these then link to a black box of electronic wizardry on the engine then continue to the battery...

When I use a voltmeter to check the voltage I get a reading of 26volts for AC and 14 volts for DC at fast tickover.

What is the best way to determine if it is DC or AC voltage? I only have a basic voltmeter...

I suspect you've got rectified AC but not voltage regulated. The rectifier effectively inverts the negative going part of the AC waveform so you have pulsing dc current. I think your meter is reading the peak voltage of the wave when set to AC and reading more of an average when set to dc. Since I have no knowledge of your meter, that's a best guess.

jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote