Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 December 2009, 14:42   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
NMEA issues

I seem to be having problems with the NMEA2000 network on my RIB that I am stumped with.
A few months ago I was coming back from Rum when one of my LMF400 gauges stopped working and went blank. I subsequently found the network cable to this gauge had worked loose and reinserted it and retightened at home.
All started working again however on my next trip I found certain parts of the network were dropping out and in as I went along and I have been unable to find out why.
I have, in order over the network, an LCX-27,Globalmap 5300i, LMF-200,LMF-400,LMF-400, LMF-400, LGC3000, Suzuki engine interface.
The bit I am confused by is when the network stops working it is only the LMF gauges and the Suzuki interface that are lost and they come back randomly. The plotters and the LGC-3000 GPS aerial never drop out.
Any ideas? its driving me nuts trying to figure out what is happening here!
__________________

__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 04:26   #2
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I seem to be having problems with the NMEA2000 network on my RIB that I am stumped with.
A few months ago I was coming back from Rum when one of my LMF400 gauges stopped working and went blank. I subsequently found the network cable to this gauge had worked loose and reinserted it and retightened at home.
All started working again however on my next trip I found certain parts of the network were dropping out and in as I went along and I have been unable to find out why.
I have, in order over the network, an LCX-27,Globalmap 5300i, LMF-200,LMF-400,LMF-400, LMF-400, LGC3000, Suzuki engine interface.
The bit I am confused by is when the network stops working it is only the LMF gauges and the Suzuki interface that are lost and they come back randomly. The plotters and the LGC-3000 GPS aerial never drop out.
Any ideas? its driving me nuts trying to figure out what is happening here!
I think you'll find they all need a common earth, so I would check that first.
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 08:27   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Where you have all the network "T's" joined together have you fixed them to a hard surface or are they all hanging loose in the console?

If they are not fixed to a solid surface or if they are only fixed at a couple of points then they can all flex causing loose connections and this will manifest itself in items failing intermittently. Each T has a hole in that you should use to fix it down. it is good practice that you should have a screw going through each T to ensure they don't flex.

It is worth putting vaseline into all the connectors as well before joinging them as corossion would cause similar problems.

Finally is the network terminated properly at each end with the terminator plugs that should have been supplied with the rigging kit.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 12:04   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
The plugs are all secure and screwed to the inside of the console, dielectric grease was applied when put together earlier in the year and all go back to a common neg post.
What puzzles me is why the LGC3000 always is working as if it was a problem on the network you would expect this to drop as well, being between the gauges and the engine on the network cabling.
I am puzzled and perplexed
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 13:36   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
How have you got the network set up?
Is it terminated at each end?
Do you have a seperate power supply to the network?
Where does the power for the Network come from?

I have attached a superb highly technical drawing I have done to demonstrate a couple of examples of what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Icommand Network.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	48008  
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 14:50   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
The network is fed through a terminator feed and is set up like this-
The network worked fine for months and this is a new issue so the architecture is fine, there is a fault somewhere. The puzzling thing is that the GPS stays up in the middle of the failing compnents and they all come up and down at differing times, its not that all five dodgy parts start and stop working all at the same time!
If it was the whole one end of the network that wasn't working I could see the problem but it is the GPS aerial up all the time even when the gauges and motor have failed tha gets me.
The network is powered up all the time the isolator is on even when the ploters are off ecause my outboard warnings etc come via the network so I don't ever want them unavailable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	48010  
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 15:56   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
The network is fed through a terminator feed and is set up like this-
The network worked fine for months and this is a new issue so the architecture is fine, there is a fault somewhere. The puzzling thing is that the GPS stays up in the middle of the failing compnents and they all come up and down at differing times, its not that all five dodgy parts start and stop working all at the same time!
If it was the whole one end of the network that wasn't working I could see the problem but it is the GPS aerial up all the time even when the gauges and motor have failed tha gets me.
The network is powered up all the time the isolator is on even when the ploters are off ecause my outboard warnings etc come via the network so I don't ever want them unavailable.
Whats the wire coming out of the end of the left hand side is it one of those powered terminators?

If not, then where does the power get fed into the network?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 16:26   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Is it worth swapping one of the LMF gauges with the GPS where it connects into the backbone to see if it still plays up.

Do the LMF's lose all power or do they just lose the data and flash at you. I had a failed EP-30 interface which resulted in the LMF showing no data.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2009, 18:49   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
There is no data from the outboard on any of the gauges or plotters. It isn't simply the outboard as the LMF's drop off the network in bus management.
The network is fed from an end terminator as shown.
When the gauges and outboard drop out they come back on the network randomly and then work for a little while before dropping back out.
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2009, 04:20   #10
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
I would disconnect things one at a time to see if there is a faulty gauge in the system disrupting the others?
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.