Old 14 March 2015, 13:44   #1

Length: no boat
Newbie Battery question

Hi lads

I'm in the market for a second hand RIB. Most of the ones I have seen have no electrics i.e. VHF, Nav lights etc.

My question is how does a outboard engine charge the battery?

And would there be much involved in fitting a VHF, fish finder, Nav lights etc?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just never owned a RIB before..

Thanks

Old 15 March 2015, 05:59   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
An outboard charges a battery the same way as a car does via an alternator. Some small outboards may have a "lighting" circuit which can power navigation lights but isn't directly suitable for charging a battery, but can be made so with a regulator and rectifier.

If your outboard doesn't have this and isn't electric start then adding charging is not a trivial job. If it is electric start then the chunky wires that provide juice to the starter also charge the battery.

Some very small ribs/sibs without charging will use a removable battery that is charged at home (or charged from car during towing) but you then need to be very conscious about power consumption - but plenty of yachts manage multiday trips without charging so it's possible if you are careful.
Old 15 March 2015, 06:06   #3

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
You can also reduce battery consumption by using LED lights instead of the `normal' incandescent type.
Old 15 March 2015, 08:53   #4

Thank you lads, Poly that clears up a lot.

And Seaflyer when I buy, as it will be second hand I plan on changing the lights to LED.

How hard is it to wire in a VHF and fish finder? Is it simply fuse them and connect to battery or what?
Old 15 March 2015, 10:01   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1 View Post
How hard is it to wire in a VHF and fish finder? Is it simply fuse them and connect to battery or what?
Pretty much. You may well want some switches. You will probably want a data link between vhf and GPS, but nothing particularly complex.
Old 15 March 2015, 11:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Pretty much. You may well want some switches. You will probably want a data link between vhf and GPS, but nothing particularly complex.
Switches for what?

Never thought of a data link thank you, this is a great forum thanks Poly.
Old 16 March 2015, 05:06   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1 View Post
Switches for what?
Often people have individual power switches for each* electrical item. This lets you turn stuff off to save power (or at night to help protect night vision), or if there is a fault (if something starts smoking do you want to be trying to get into the console to pull a fuse?) or to help with fault finding. They will often have these on a nice panel with nav light switch, bilge pump switch etc. Switch panels often include fuses/breakers, which makes for a neater install, and simplifies trouble shooting the mass of red spaghetti found in a lot of consoles!

Each item usually has its own power on button - but if it is a "soft key" (i.e. something that doesn't have a "click") then it probably draws a little current even when off. If you are drifting off the coast with a dead engine your VHF (and possibly GPS) are rather critical features you don't want your sounder, your bilge pump auto sense circuit, your music system, your phone charger or anything else draining the battery!

* there is a common school of thought that the VHF should be wired directly to the battery (with its own fuse) as it is safety critical so should bypass any master switch, bus bar etc.
Old 16 March 2015, 07:24   #8

Quote:
Often people have individual power switches for each* electrical item. This lets you turn stuff off to save power (or at night to help protect night vision), or if there is a fault (if something starts smoking do you want to be trying to get into the console to pull a fuse?) or to help with fault finding. They will often have these on a nice panel with nav light switch, bilge pump switch etc. Switch panels often include fuses/breakers, which makes for a neater install, and simplifies trouble shooting the mass of red spaghetti found in a lot of consoles!

Each item usually has its own power on button - but if it is a "soft key" (i.e. something that doesn't have a "click") then it probably draws a little current even when off. If you are drifting off the coast with a dead engine your VHF (and possibly GPS) are rather critical features you don't want your sounder, your bilge pump auto sense circuit, your music system, your phone charger or anything else draining the battery!

* there is a common school of thought that the VHF should be wired directly to the battery (with its own fuse) as it is safety critical so should bypass any master switch, bus bar etc.
I have come across the VHF wired directly suggestion and I will take that one on board.

The other electrics I plan on having are a depth sounder, nav lights and bilge pump.

I will put a switch on the nav lights.

Would you suggest putting a switch on the depth sounder and bilge pump?
Old 16 March 2015, 07:49   #9

Length: 7m +
And depending upon size of Rib even for a one engine set-up you may want two batteries, a voltage charging system and battery bank switch plus bus bars and other switches for bilge pump, nav lights, electronics etc. Permanent supply and switched supply.

For example my Rib to give you an idea,

One engine, two batteries connected via individual switches that can also connect both in an emergency, one battery used for electronics, lights etc and one for engine starting. Also helps having two batteries as batteries can die.

One permanent supply via a switch to the bilge pump (if left in water), other switches for nav lights, steaming light, bus bar and individual fuses for exelectronics, vhf, ais, fusion music centre.
Old 16 March 2015, 08:00   #10

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:

We obviously went to different schools, as that's a 1st for me. :-)