Old 19 September 2013, 10:39   #1

Length: 7m +
New Project - Console Re-Wire

Hi, im thinking of doing a complete re-wire of my console, I have a fault with my VHF that cuts out when I go to transmit plus ive been thinking about fitting a new chart plotter and as ive had a good look in the console the wirring seems to be a tad messy and the usual crap of salt and dirt etc, plus the fues box and where everything connects up is not upto par in my opinion im thinking of stripping all the electronics out, fitting a new fuse box and connector box and re wirring / tidying up and etc etc.

So any tips and tricks greatly appreciated before I start.

Plus any recomendations on good quality marine fuse box/connector boxes products on the market.

Will take pictures and notes and do a write up of my little project as it proceeds.
Old 19 September 2013, 10:58   #2

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
For tinned cable, adhesive-lined heat-shrink, connectors, et al, I can personally recommend Vehicle Wiring Products in Derbyshire. Been a satisfied customer for 15 years +
Old 19 September 2013, 13:33   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Adhesive lined heatshrink is your friend
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2013, 18:28   #4

Tinned cable essential.

Clear labeling essential.

Use circuit breakers not fuses.

Do not use adhesive holders for zip ties, must be screwed to base is they are to last.

Use good quality pliers to clamp on terminals.

Ensure cable is adequate for application. If in doubt go bigger.

Fit a battery isolator.

Use flexible conduit to keep things tidy.

Problem with VHF is probably poor joint. Solder whereever possible.

Use a commoning post for negative return.

Use a multiple terminal strip (stainless) to make data connections.

Do not use any choc blocks, anywhere, never. They will fail sooner rather than later.

Be tidy.

Get everything to hand before you start.

Plan cable runs as far as possible. If an additional cable is required in a previous run, unclip it and remake bunch. Do not clip cable on side of original bunch. Better still use conduit.

If, like me, you are not as supple as you once were, press gang children or grand children! Invaluable in tight spaces!

A neat wiring job is very satisfying!
Good luck
Ian

Sent from my HTC One X using Rib.net
Old 20 September 2013, 15:06   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Do not use adhesive holders for zip ties, must be screwed to base is they are to last.

Use good quality pliers to clamp on terminals.
If you do need to use adhesive wall mounts for zip ties, give the adhesive a wash with acetone first (quick gentle wipe on and allow to flash off); it activates the adhesive and makes it stick a lot better. I use about 6 them to hold my transducer cable to the aluminum hull, and they've lasted over 5 years with a single failure.

Rather than pliers, get a good set of crimpers (not the stamped sheet metal ones.) Pricey for a good set, but worth the money in the long run.

jky
Old 20 September 2013, 15:12   #6

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Everyone else pretty much covered it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
Do not use any choc blocks, anywhere, never. They will fail sooner rather than later.
But what is a "choc block"? Never heard that term around here before nor seen it in any North American catalogs etc.
Old 20 September 2013, 15:40   #7

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Choc block is a strip of plastic connectors that look like a bar of chocolate. Each terminal block has a cable entry on each side with a screw on top to secure the cable. Not to be used on boats as the screws will vibrate free and corrode.
Use crimps with a crimping tool and give each one a good tug to ensure its secure. Cover with a heat shrink sleave.
Good luck
Old 20 September 2013, 15:50   #8

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
you can good deals on the adhesive lined heat shrink butt connectors and other connectors on Ebay here in the states.

Jason
Old 20 September 2013, 16:07   #9

Choc block
Old 20 September 2013, 16:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie View Post

Choc block
Thanks for that. Guess its a good thing I have never seen one on a boat, I know I've seen one before in a store somewhere. Maybe for home entertainment/stereo? In general I'd say a wire to screw connection like that is only common in the States for static connections in a house. Wire to circuit breaker connections in a house use something similar, but its typically solid wire (not stranded) and unless there's an earthquake, no vibrations.

On boats this is the norm. With a heat shinked crimped ring terminal on the ends of the wire. (No wrapping the wire around the screw!)

Old 20 September 2013, 16:52   #11

Really great advice so far I really appreciate it. Im going to start probably in october or november but will be planning the project before that. Will take before, during and after pics.

One question why would circuit breakers be better than fuses ?
Old 20 September 2013, 16:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Thanks for that. Guess its a good thing I have never seen one on a boat, I know I've seen one before in a store somewhere. Maybe for home entertainment/stereo? In general I'd say a wire to screw connection like that is only common in the States for static connections in a house. Wire to circuit breaker connections in a house use something similar, but its typically solid wire (not stranded) and unless there's an earthquake, no vibrations.

On boats this is the norm. With a heat shinked crimped ring terminal on the ends of the wire. (No wrapping the wire around the screw!)

It is not suitable for domestic wiring as solid strand wire does not compress like multistrand and so reduces surface contact. This causes ressistance and generates heat so may be the source of fires. Domestic wiring is governed by regulation that is strictly enforced. You may have half the voltage but you have double the current as the power is still the same.
Old 20 September 2013, 17:04   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

One question why would circuit breakers be better than fuses ?
Unless you're going to buy specifically rated breakers, they aren't better as long as you make sure the fuses can't corrode.

I have the new breed of 'lights up if blown' fuses in a 12 fuse and -ve busbar Blue Sea fusebox on the Ballistic, plus 25a breakers on the switch panel (they were already on it and wired in, so I used them).

It's all held together with tinned cable of varying ratings and glue lined heatshrink terminals from Vehicle Wiring Products. I think there's only 2 soldered cable joints on the entire boat and they're encased in glue lined heatshrink to stop them moving. I really don't like soldered joints. They fail when they vibrate.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2013, 17:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie View Post
It is not suitable for domestic wiring as solid strand wire does not compress like multistrand and so reduces surface contact. This causes ressistance and generates heat so may be the source of fires. Domestic wiring is governed by regulation that is strictly enforced. You may have half the voltage but you have double the current as the power is still the same.
I can tell you that every (maybe not every but every breaker in common use) domestic circuit breaker sold in the States today uses a screw to hold a solid stranded wire in compression. Typically 14, 12, or 10 gauge solid copper wire. Aluminum wire is no longer used inside houses, but commonly used for street to house connections (its stranded).

Typical wall outlets are 120V with 15 to 20amp breakers. 240V circuits (clothes dryers, ovens, water heaters, heat pumps, large AC units) use 2x 120V legs + and 1 or 2 neutrals.

A 240V breaker looks like this, the wires go under the screws shown

A 120V breaker would be 1/2 the width and only have 1 screw.

Inside the ciruit breaker box is a distribution bar supplying power to the back side of the breaker which then sends it out to the wire/device.

Neutral (ground) bars in a house look very similar to the choc block shown. Just made of tinned copper.
Again a solid copper wire goes under the screw.

Obviously none of these products are remotely suitable for a boat. But they are code approved and in virtually every house here in the States.
Old 20 September 2013, 19:31   #15

I spent 20 minutes trying to remember that the correct term for what I meant is CRIMPERS. Dohhhh

The reason I prefer breakers is that there is no need to carry spare fuses which will, inevitably, corrode and decay.

Comments regarding choc blocks spot on. Suggested alternative also spot on.

Ian

Old 20 September 2013, 19:34   #16

On second reading, looks like our American cousins may use "breaker" to mean fuse.

I am specifically referring to marine breakers which have a switch which remakes the connection. Blue Sea are a good example.

Old 20 September 2013, 19:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
On second reading, looks like our American cousins may use "breaker" to mean fuse.
North American English is the same as yours in this area (unusual I know!)

Circuit breaker = breaker = a resettable current limiting device.
Fuse = fusible link = a one time use current limiting connection. You have to carry spares.
Old 04 October 2013, 18:33   #18

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Another vote for VWP from me.

Seller 'Bargainbitz1' on eBay are also very good, with most orders arriving the next day.

I've just done some re-wiring and planned the bundles out on a bit of ply, then used nails in the same board to arrange the wires neatly.
Old 04 October 2013, 20:25   #19

Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Engine: inboard diesel
9 times out of 10 the fuse box is situated out of harms way in the console out of reach, so when a fuse blows, or falls out of its mount as they never seem to be as great as they look, you can not easily see what's going on.

where as if you have breakers fitted, or a switch panel with breakers fitted, if anything trips the breaker has popped up and you can visually see.... And as mentioned no need to carry any spare fuses.... It seems a much better option in my opinion

I have always fitted breakers so they are visible by the switch they are associated to.
Old 05 October 2013, 00:25   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
These are rather good-got them in the Ballistic.

5 Pc LED Intelligent Car Plug In Fuse Set - 5A-25A Light Up When Blown | eBay

The type with a bulb protruding wont fit in a Blue Sea fusebox-the cover won't go on.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote