Old 07 May 2019, 17:45   #1

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
New plotter will not recognise transducer

Looking for suggestions on a problem I have

I pensioned off my old Garmin 188C, and bought a shiny new Garmin EchoMAP 95sv. I have installed it, and it is great - with just one problem. It will not recognise the transducer from the old unit. The transducer is glassed into the well at the back of the boat (Ribcraft 585), and the lead comes out in the console. The transducer is a 6-pin type, and the plotter has a 12-pin connection, so taking advice from Garmin tech support, I had to buy two adapter cables going 6-pin, 4-pin, 12-pin.

The old unit specification said it should have a 200/50 khz transducer, so I have tried the new unit on 'auto' and 200/50, but every time I select sonar, it comes up with an error message saying that there is no transducer connected. Garmin tech support suggested I try a setting of 77/200khz, but it still comes up with the error message (although the boat is out of the water).

Any suggestions?
Old 07 May 2019, 18:02   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
On my lowrance in the menu you select the transducers from a list and press enter is yours the same
Old 07 May 2019, 20:36   #3

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
On my lowrance in the menu you select the transducers from a list and press enter is yours the same
Yes, you can select a transducer type, but it does not seem to recognise any. There is an 'auto detect' option, but I still get the same error message.

Does anyone know what transducer Ribcraft may have installed? It is a 2005 boat
Old 08 May 2019, 07:16   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Ive just installed the Garmin 65, i removed the old transducer & ran a new one to the transom, easy to do & no pi**ing about trying to get old kit to work with new
Old 08 May 2019, 18:21   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
My guess is it's a new transducer I've just tried to update my garmin sat nav of 5 years old the new update doesn't recognise my units software so it's a new one or grin and bear the old
Old 08 May 2019, 22:21   #6

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Looking for suggestions on a problem I have

I pensioned off my old Garmin 188C, and bought a shiny new Garmin EchoMAP 95sv. I have installed it, and it is great - with just one problem. It will not recognise the transducer from the old unit. The transducer is glassed into the well at the back of the boat (Ribcraft 585), and the lead comes out in the console. The transducer is a 6-pin type, and the plotter has a 12-pin connection, so taking advice from Garmin tech support, I had to buy two adapter cables going 6-pin, 4-pin, 12-pin.

The old unit specification said it should have a 200/50 khz transducer, so I have tried the new unit on 'auto' and 200/50, but every time I select sonar, it comes up with an error message saying that there is no transducer connected. Garmin tech support suggested I try a setting of 77/200khz, but it still comes up with the error message (although the boat is out of the water).

Any suggestions?

The Garmin 188c is quite old, and in technology terms its light years old.

I would think that the glassed in transducer is an Airmar P66 ..... very good in its day, but light years out of date now.

There are several options you could use, but my preference would be a transom mount Garmin GT52

Even if you could get the 95SV to 'see' the Airmar, your options would be very limited .......... certainly no Side Scan or Down Scan ............

The beauty of the 95SV is 'Chirp' .......... so you really need a Chirp compatible transducer ..............
Old 08 May 2019, 22:46   #7

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
we have a 97sv . we had a rear external transducer. We had endless problems with it not reading...either we lost signal if we were too fast or too deep or sea too rough. We installed a through hull p79 and it has been great. never misses a beat. hope this helps