Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 June 2015, 18:22   #1
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,126
new plotter

Thinking of upgrading my small Garmin 556S for a larger unit.

The Garmin 751 has been recommended, and from a short play in a showroom feels good to use, but it is purely touch-screen. I quite like the fact it interfaces into the Engine Mangement System, so can see consumption, fuel flow etc.

Has anyone experience of this unit, or have other recommendations for something I can flush mount into the console with a 7"-9" screen - and at a reasonable (sub 1k) price.

Thanks

LT
__________________

__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2015, 20:27   #2
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 628
Was happy with Garmin products for years then had issues with the 50s model followed by two rhino handheld gps radios, ended up wit two new radios which were also faulty. In the end it took 12 months with the department of fair trading sorting it all out.

I now run Lowrance units which Ive been more than happy with, but for a slightly better unit the simrads are very popular over here which would be my next gps combo.

Jon
__________________

__________________
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 08:22   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Thinking of upgrading my small Garmin 556S for a larger unit.

The Garmin 751 has been recommended, and from a short play in a showroom feels good to use, but it is purely touch-screen. I quite like the fact it interfaces into the Engine Mangement System, so can see consumption, fuel flow etc.

Has anyone experience of this unit, or have other recommendations for something I can flush mount into the console with a 7"-9" screen - and at a reasonable (sub 1k) price.

Thanks

LT
"most" medium/high end plotters will now interface with N2k compliant engines, so you're not restricted to Garmin. Lowrance imo have the best implementation of N2k, probably due to them being pioneers of N2k. I have an HDS9 gen 3 on BP & I'm very happy with it, it is touch/button hybrid & automatically locks out the touch screen if it detects excessive water on the screen, which is a neat trick. Saying that, we've been out in some pretty lumpy weather lately & the touch screen has worked perfectly.
I think the HDS7 gen3 would just about squeeze into your budget.
I have a brand new transom transducer & N2k starter kit for sale if you decide to go down the Lowrance route.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 08:53   #4
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
"most" medium/high end plotters will now interface with N2k compliant engines, so you're not restricted to Garmin. Lowrance imo have the best implementation of N2k, probably due to them being pioneers of N2k. I have an HDS9 gen 3 on BP & I'm very happy with it, it is touch/button hybrid & automatically locks out the touch screen if it detects excessive water on the screen, which is a neat trick. Saying that, we've been out in some pretty lumpy weather lately & the touch screen has worked perfectly.
I think the HDS7 gen3 would just about squeeze into your budget.
I have a brand new transom transducer & N2k starter kit for sale if you decide to go down the Lowrance route.
And I thought you were being Helpful!
....Should have Known!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 09:14   #5
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
Pure touch screens arnt ideal if weather is poor, and if you use your rib all year round you might find taking gloves off a pain.

I used to have Garmin until I could no longer update the mapping as the unit was end of life and not supported anymore by Garmin even though the unit worked great so due to not being able to update the maps it annoyed the hell out of me so will not touch Garmin again. I went the Raymarine E7D route, hybrid screen as in touch screen and button functionality which works well, good networking including wireless to a apple ipad, good maps navionics and about perfect size for a rib. I expect the prices have come down since I got mine, well worth having a look at. And all the bells and whistles you would expect including option to hook outboard / engine to the unit to display engine stuff.

Add an AIS transceiver AIS650 and an AIS100 splitter as future christmas present and you have a nice bit of kit.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 09:23   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
And I thought you were being Helpful!

....Should have Known!

Advice AND a bargain, how much more helpful could I be?😎


.....sh1t happens.......
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 10:16   #7
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Advice AND a bargain, how much more helpful could I be?😎


.....sh1t happens.......
When you put it like that!....I have to admit...either...NO!!.
.... I must have slipped though a "Wormhole" into a Parallel universe! Much!..easier to belive!
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.