Old 16 September 2009, 13:29   #21

Town: Byfleet
Boat name: Escape
Make: Sealine
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard
Yacht Sentinel Low Cost

Hi just one other point, I designed the unit and it is made in the UK. So if someone has a really good feature that could be included then I can change the firmware on the next release. So let me know your ideas.
Old 16 September 2009, 13:33   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think you worded it wrong - instead of describing it as low cost maybe you should have said high quality!!!
Old 16 September 2009, 13:35   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Oh and why not make it waterproof - or make a fully waterproof version - shouldn't add too much to the cost. RIBs tend to get very wet.
Old 16 September 2009, 13:45   #24

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I think you worded it wrong - instead of describing it as low cost maybe you should have said high quality!!!
I agree Codders...
Old 16 September 2009, 13:48   #25

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsentinel View Post
Hi just one other point, I designed the unit and it is made in the UK. So if someone has a really good feature that could be included then I can change the firmware on the next release. So let me know your ideas.
I think you've got most of the bases covered but I'll bet there'll be some suggestions coming soon!

Can the YachtSentinel firmware be updated if you have an earlier version?
Old 17 September 2009, 12:42   #26

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
sugested features

Ive played with GPs trackers a lot and have fitted over 20 so far in RIBS two of which have already been used to recover stolen RIBS

If you can modify your unit as follows, I will start buying them from you.

1:- make it waterproof
2:- put the aerial in the case and use a patch aerial ( they are fine on every boat I have fitted them to)
3:- make the unit look like anything other than a gps tracker ( so remove the vanity branding as these work best if no one knows they are fitted)
4:- a waterproof panic button so send emergency message to distribution list, I know we all have VHF but all help is good.
5:-remote shut down ( programmable normally open or nomally closed dry contacts to put in kill cord cct)
6:- flashing light on Dash that can be activated by sms (trust me I have this on current unit I use and its really useful )
7:-NMEA 2000 /183 GPS output because if you have another GPS on board it really makes sence to be able to use as a backup if its needed especially useful if its nmea2000 as any other display on network can use the data as a backup to your primary GPS.
8:- have a customisable SMS response message format that can insert the position into a url that you can click on a mobile to show position in googlemaps., i.e. no more cut and paste location info.

Good Luck as I think a reliable afordable unit will sell well.

Mark
Old 17 September 2009, 13:28   #27

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-f View Post
~
4:- a waterproof panic button so send emergency message to distribution list, I know we all have VHF but all help is good.
5:-remote shut down ( programmable normally open or nomally closed dry contacts to put in kill cord cct)
6:- flashing light on Dash that can be activated by sms (trust me I have this on current unit I use and its really useful )
7:-NMEA 2000 /183 GPS output because if you have another GPS on board it really makes sence to be able to use as a backup if its needed especially useful if its nmea2000 as any other display on network can use the data as a backup to your primary GPS.
All good ideas, but being waterproof and having lots of connections is going to affect the price.

Surely the only reason it needs to be waterproof is if it on a person rather than a well fitted part of the boat's electrics? If it is a device that can be used as a panic alarm (like SPOT) then we are talking about a slightly different product?
Old 17 September 2009, 13:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Oh and why not make it waterproof - or make a fully waterproof version - shouldn't add too much to the cost. RIBs tend to get very wet.
Since it wants to be tucked away from prying screw drivers why not fit it in a waterproof junction box, it is small enough! That way not only is it going to be kept dry but sticky fingered types will never know it is there.
Old 17 September 2009, 13:30   #29

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-f View Post

2:- put the aerial in the case and use a patch aerial ( they are fine on every boat I have fitted them to)
3:- make the unit look like anything other than a gps tracker ( so remove the vanity branding as these work best if no one knows they are fitted)
8:- have a customisable SMS response message format that can insert the position into a url that you can click on a mobile to show position in googlemaps., i.e. no more cut and paste location info.

The above are the important things with me - the most is probably number 8, and then you can add BananaShark to your customer list!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 13:59   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Is there anyway that this could be small and robust (heat proof?) enough to hide inside an engine cowl? People either nick complete ribs or just the engine. Failing that maybe consider looking at how the existing locker type alarms circuit could be used to safeguard an engine - but that won't track a £10k engine heading down the motorway in the back of a transit van!

Personally I think kill cord circuits are vulnerable enough without adding technology into the loop, if you are in GSM range then a device like this can provide backup info to your mobile without needing to interface etc.

I agree a panic button is attractive - but presumably that is already possible with this system its just a case of rewiring one of the alarm circuits to a switch (with a cover/interlock to prevent accidental trigger). If people wanted that would you want it to call a different range of phones? e.g. no use calling you to tell you you are drowning as your on the boat?
Old 17 September 2009, 15:43   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
...the most is probably number 8, and then you can add BananaShark to your customer list!
That is easy, just the structure around the lat and long.
Old 17 September 2009, 15:48   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I agree a panic button is attractive - but presumably that is already possible with this system its just a case of rewiring one of the alarm circuits to a switch.
Dead right. The hatch alarm is going to be less use on an open boat (though it could still be handy for the main locker), so that would lend itself to becoming a panic switch.

Perhaps the system could be tweaked to allow custom names for the alarm types?

As for numbers I think choosing the recipients carefully is the key.