Old 03 January 2015, 10:14   #61

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Tony, this is why I went to the boatshow at Southampton last year as I wanted to purchase a cheap chartplotter and had already narrowed it down to a short list of 7" screen chartplotters :

1.) Raymarine eD7 (sonar transducer compatible unit) - This was my preferred unit as its a hybrid touch screen unit. However the boat show prices were coming in at over £800 for the unit, plus £150 for the transducer and then over £230 for the navionics chart which I don't believe it is as good as the garmin charts (IMHO). Conclusion was maybe a £100 saving outside boat show remit and an expensive package

2.) Garmin echomap 70s (sonar transducer compatible unit). A full touch screen unit but my console doesn't get that wet as I'm a fair weather boater and Chris Caton has had a Garmin touch screen for a few years and if its good enough for him its good enough for me . Anyway cheapest price I could get at the boat show was £715 for the unit, £100 for the sonar in hull transducer and the Garmin charts I can get at very cheap price . Conclusion was a much more competitive price but only an £85 saving on the garmin unit itself at the boat show.

So as the Garmin echomap 70s was a far more competitive price and as I have used Garmin before I have just bought a new unit from ebay from a company based in the US. Full price including postage and customs charges is £510 and I have just bought the transducer from Cactus marine for £100.

Hope this helps Tony

P.S. Both the Garmin and Raymarine had there own exhibits at Southampton Boat Show but you couldn't buy direct off them at the boat show
Dan, all makes sense to me, other than the Garmin 4008 we've got isn't a touch screen, it's got the traditional old fashioned buttons, coz I'm old fashioned n didn't want to go the touch screen route at the time, having said that things have moved on since we fitted the 4008 so I may be tempted by one of the newer hybrid button/touch screen models available now is a great shame there's no dealers about where you can go play with the kit before you buy, but I guess the interweb has put paid to that these days
Old 03 January 2015, 10:29   #62

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Chaps, I'm in the same position re. looking at new toys. Lowrance have just released the HDS Gen3 series which is "hybrid touch" & looks very interesting as all the extras e.g. structure scan, broadband sonar, downscan, auto pilot control etc are now built in. According to Lowrance's website, they will be at excel, but they are not listed on the LBS website, so you could be right about them being a side show on someone else's stand.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 10:33   #63

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Tony, this is why I went to the boatshow at Southampton last year as I wanted to purchase a cheap chartplotter and had already narrowed it down to a short list of 7" screen chartplotters :

1.) Raymarine eD7 (sonar transducer compatible unit) - This was my preferred unit as its a hybrid touch screen unit. However the boat show prices were coming in at over £800 for the unit, plus £150 for the transducer and then over £230 for the navionics chart which I don't believe it is as good as the garmin charts (IMHO). Conclusion was maybe a £100 saving outside boat show remit and an expensive package

2.) Garmin echomap 70s (sonar transducer compatible unit). A full touch screen unit but my console doesn't get that wet as I'm a fair weather boater and Chris Caton has had a Garmin touch screen for a few years and if its good enough for him its good enough for me . Anyway cheapest price I could get at the boat show was £715 for the unit, £100 for the sonar in hull transducer and the Garmin charts I can get at very cheap price . Conclusion was a much more competitive price but only an £85 saving on the garmin unit itself at the boat show.

So as the Garmin echomap 70s was a far more competitive price and as I have used Garmin before I have just bought a new unit from ebay from a company based in the US. Full price including postage and customs charges is £510 and I have just bought the transducer from Cactus marine for £100.

Hope this helps Tony

P.S. Both the Garmin and Raymarine had there own exhibits at Southampton Boat Show but you couldn't buy direct off them at the boat show
Good stuff Gareth, thanks for sharing and hope all arrives ok without tooooo big a bill for customs duty!

I know I can't buy directly from the manufacturers and there's a couple of trade members on here who have offered good deals but I want to actually get 'hands-on' with the different pieces of kit and make some comparisons, rather than just read online reviews. Call me old-fashioned (there's a long queue) but for me it's part of the pleasure of buying something. Many people these days would simply call me a tyre-kicker but hey ho, it's always good fun to see how much the guy on the stand actually knows about his product!
Old 03 January 2015, 11:47   #64

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Good stuff Gareth, thanks for sharing and hope all arrives ok without tooooo big a bill for customs duty!

I know I can't buy directly from the manufacturers and there's a couple of trade members on here who have offered good deals but I want to actually get 'hands-on' with the different pieces of kit and make some comparisons, rather than just read online reviews. Call me old-fashioned (there's a long queue) but for me it's part of the pleasure of buying something. Many people these days would simply call me a tyre-kicker but hey ho, it's always good fun to see how much the guy on the stand actually knows about his product!
Tony, it has arrived and that's the full price I paid with customs etc

Know where you are coming from regarding having a play with the units and then asking the so called experts some technical questions. I asked on the Raymarine stand if I could adjust the window split ratio between depth sounder and charts and nearly brought there entire stand to abrupt halt as 5 of them were stood around the unit scratching their heads

Isn't buying a chartplotter like buying either an apple device (software and hardware tied in together) such as garmin or an android device which in the marine world which uses the Navionics software?

I just didn't get on with the navionics software on my current boat and also didn't like the latest version at the boat show so this was a big factor for me. So maybe the charting software preference may dictate your choice of charting hardware?

I agree with Chris though, we need a local dealer who will let us play with different demo products in the shop?
Old 03 January 2015, 11:59   #65

RIBase
Quote:
Tony, it has arrived and that's the full price I paid with customs etc

Know where you are coming from regarding having a play with the units and then asking the so called experts some technical questions. I asked on the Raymarine stand if I could adjust the window split ratio between depth sounder and charts and nearly brought there entire stand to abrupt halt as 5 of them were stood around the unit scratching their heads

Isn't buying a chartplotter like buying either an apple device (software and hardware tied in together) such as garmin or an android device which in the marine world which uses the Navionics software?

I just didn't get on with the navionics software on my current boat and also didn't like the latest version at the boat show so this was a big factor for me. So maybe the charting software preference may dictate your choice of charting hardware?

I agree with Chris though, we need a local dealer who will let us play with different demo products in the shop?
.....I'll bring a bottle of something round to your place and you can demo the Echomax for me!
Old 03 January 2015, 13:31   #66

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
Dan, all makes sense to me, other than the Garmin 4008 we've got isn't a touch screen
True, but it's the next step up in terms of price and size. I also think that in the right conditions the touchscreen would be good, I just want the option of buttons when required. And at the time I thought I needed to get Navionics for Loch Derg charts, though I have now been told that the Garmins come with em too now. I've made my choice now, just need to get the thing delivered and out on the water now!!!
Old 03 January 2015, 15:39   #67

RIBase
Quote:
........I just didn't get on with the navionics software on my current boat and also didn't like the latest version at the boat show so this was a big factor for me. So maybe the charting software preference may dictate your choice of charting hardware?.........
Odd one that, I've got both Garmin & Navionics charts & much prefer the Navionics (despite the, ahem! "price advantage" of the Garmin charts)
Was it the actual charts that put you off Navionics or the planning software? IMHO the Garmin charts look a bit "Fisher Price" whereas the Navionics look like "proper" Admiralty charts. Many of the newer non-Garmin units allow you the choice of mapping software, Navionics, Cmap, Jeppsen etc. But Garmin restricts you to their own proprietary mapping.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 03 January 2015, 15:52   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
True, but it's the next step up in terms of price and size. I also think that in the right conditions the touchscreen would be good, I just want the option of buttons when required. And at the time I thought I needed to get Navionics for Loch Derg charts, though I have now been told that the Garmins come with em too now. I've made my choice now, just need to get the thing delivered and out on the water now!!!
it'll soon be ready Dan, then you'll have all season to play with it
Old 03 January 2015, 15:56   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
.....I'll bring a bottle of something round to your place and you can demo the Echomax for me!
Tony, you are welcome anytime however I would need to temporary wire it up to something as its still looking shiny in the box
Old 03 January 2015, 16:03   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Odd one that, I've got both Garmin & Navionics charts & much prefer the Navionics (despite the, ahem! "price advantage" of the Garmin charts)
Was it the actual charts that put you off Navionics or the planning software? IMHO the Garmin charts look a bit "Fisher Price" whereas the Navionics look like "proper" Admiralty charts. Many of the newer non-Garmin units allow you the choice of mapping software, Navionics, Cmap, Jeppsen etc. But Garmin restricts you to their own proprietary mapping.
Pikey

One of the important chart functionality's for me is being able to see previous tracks and routes. On my current Navman and Navionics setup the tracks are in the same colour, line thickness as the depth contours and I really don't like it. TBH not sure if this tracks is the hardware or the software element but its enough for me to want to avoid in a future purchase. Plus I am a bit of a simple person and still like my Fischer Price toys
Old 03 January 2015, 16:39   #71

RIBase
Quote:
Pikey

One of the important chart functionality's for me is being able to see previous tracks and routes. On my current Navman and Navionics setup the tracks are in the same colour, line thickness as the depth contours and I really don't like it. TBH not sure if this tracks is the hardware or the software element but its enough for me to want to avoid in a future purchase. Plus I am a bit of a simple person and still like my Fischer Price toys
That sounds like a hardware problem, my plotters allow you to choose track colour, thickness etc. Have you looked in the menus of the Navman? I'd be surprised if it didn't let you choose. I have mine set to pink, very "My Little Pony"
Old 03 January 2015, 17:03   #72

RIBase
Quote:
Pikey

One of the important chart functionality's for me is being able to see previous tracks and routes. :

....remember to scrub them before the Loss Adjuster visits to assess the claim though, eh!
Old 08 January 2015, 12:19   #73

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
So, no plotter needed. What options are there for a DSc VHF standalone u it, other than the horizon. It's the wrong shape for the hole.
Old 08 January 2015, 16:03   #74

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
So, no plotter needed. What options are there for a DSc VHF standalone u it, other than the horizon. It's the wrong shape for the hole.
New Icom 323G, built in gps, launching at the boat show
Old 08 January 2015, 22:42   #75

Cheers PD. Old man never uses plotter/GPS and I only use once or twice a yr, though could easily manage without with charts round Anglesey.
Old 09 January 2015, 06:29   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Cheers PD. Old man never uses plotter/GPS and I only use once or twice a yr, though could easily manage without with charts round Anglesey.
that's a brave statement HP
Old 09 January 2015, 06:53   #77
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:

Except that level of service costs money and most people simply aren't prepared to pay for it.
Old 09 January 2015, 06:56   #78

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:

Would agree with you there Chris. I have two plotters and still carry laminates of particular areas.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 06:57   #79

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Except that level of service costs money and most people simply aren't prepared to pay for it.

Good point John but do you not think manufacturers could offer the service through their dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 08:53   #80

Quote:
To clarify that statement, what i mean is, can manage round Anglesey in the areas we already know.

We have the tough charts of round Anglesey which are really good. Christ, no one had GPS/Plotters in the past..... surely you remember back then Chris!

I appreciate they are useful, don't get me wrong. But I and the old man have better things to spend £500+ on. I don't think it will detract from our current boating experience.

Having DSC though is v useful i feel. Plus having SOG and COG is a bonus.

icom isn't out yet, so it may have to be the horizon, though it's the wrong shape.

Pikey Dave - When is the boatshow? ie when is it being launched?