Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 January 2015, 06:14   #61
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Tony, this is why I went to the boatshow at Southampton last year as I wanted to purchase a cheap chartplotter and had already narrowed it down to a short list of 7" screen chartplotters :

1.) Raymarine eD7 (sonar transducer compatible unit) - This was my preferred unit as its a hybrid touch screen unit. However the boat show prices were coming in at over 800 for the unit, plus 150 for the transducer and then over 230 for the navionics chart which I don't believe it is as good as the garmin charts (IMHO). Conclusion was maybe a 100 saving outside boat show remit and an expensive package

2.) Garmin echomap 70s (sonar transducer compatible unit). A full touch screen unit but my console doesn't get that wet as I'm a fair weather boater and Chris Caton has had a Garmin touch screen for a few years and if its good enough for him its good enough for me . Anyway cheapest price I could get at the boat show was 715 for the unit, 100 for the sonar in hull transducer and the Garmin charts I can get at very cheap price . Conclusion was a much more competitive price but only an 85 saving on the garmin unit itself at the boat show.

So as the Garmin echomap 70s was a far more competitive price and as I have used Garmin before I have just bought a new unit from ebay from a company based in the US. Full price including postage and customs charges is 510 and I have just bought the transducer from Cactus marine for 100.

Hope this helps Tony

P.S. Both the Garmin and Raymarine had there own exhibits at Southampton Boat Show but you couldn't buy direct off them at the boat show
Dan, all makes sense to me, other than the Garmin 4008 we've got isn't a touch screen, it's got the traditional old fashioned buttons, coz I'm old fashioned n didn't want to go the touch screen route at the time, having said that things have moved on since we fitted the 4008 so I may be tempted by one of the newer hybrid button/touch screen models available now is a great shame there's no dealers about where you can go play with the kit before you buy, but I guess the interweb has put paid to that these days
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 06:29   #62
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,581
RIBase
Chaps, I'm in the same position re. looking at new toys. Lowrance have just released the HDS Gen3 series which is "hybrid touch" & looks very interesting as all the extras e.g. structure scan, broadband sonar, downscan, auto pilot control etc are now built in. According to Lowrance's website, they will be at excel, but they are not listed on the LBS website, so you could be right about them being a side show on someone else's stand.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 06:33   #63
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Tony, this is why I went to the boatshow at Southampton last year as I wanted to purchase a cheap chartplotter and had already narrowed it down to a short list of 7" screen chartplotters :

1.) Raymarine eD7 (sonar transducer compatible unit) - This was my preferred unit as its a hybrid touch screen unit. However the boat show prices were coming in at over 800 for the unit, plus 150 for the transducer and then over 230 for the navionics chart which I don't believe it is as good as the garmin charts (IMHO). Conclusion was maybe a 100 saving outside boat show remit and an expensive package

2.) Garmin echomap 70s (sonar transducer compatible unit). A full touch screen unit but my console doesn't get that wet as I'm a fair weather boater and Chris Caton has had a Garmin touch screen for a few years and if its good enough for him its good enough for me . Anyway cheapest price I could get at the boat show was 715 for the unit, 100 for the sonar in hull transducer and the Garmin charts I can get at very cheap price . Conclusion was a much more competitive price but only an 85 saving on the garmin unit itself at the boat show.

So as the Garmin echomap 70s was a far more competitive price and as I have used Garmin before I have just bought a new unit from ebay from a company based in the US. Full price including postage and customs charges is 510 and I have just bought the transducer from Cactus marine for 100.

Hope this helps Tony

P.S. Both the Garmin and Raymarine had there own exhibits at Southampton Boat Show but you couldn't buy direct off them at the boat show
Good stuff Gareth, thanks for sharing and hope all arrives ok without tooooo big a bill for customs duty!

I know I can't buy directly from the manufacturers and there's a couple of trade members on here who have offered good deals but I want to actually get 'hands-on' with the different pieces of kit and make some comparisons, rather than just read online reviews. Call me old-fashioned (there's a long queue) but for me it's part of the pleasure of buying something. Many people these days would simply call me a tyre-kicker but hey ho, it's always good fun to see how much the guy on the stand actually knows about his product!
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 07:47   #64
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Good stuff Gareth, thanks for sharing and hope all arrives ok without tooooo big a bill for customs duty!

I know I can't buy directly from the manufacturers and there's a couple of trade members on here who have offered good deals but I want to actually get 'hands-on' with the different pieces of kit and make some comparisons, rather than just read online reviews. Call me old-fashioned (there's a long queue) but for me it's part of the pleasure of buying something. Many people these days would simply call me a tyre-kicker but hey ho, it's always good fun to see how much the guy on the stand actually knows about his product!
Tony, it has arrived and that's the full price I paid with customs etc

Know where you are coming from regarding having a play with the units and then asking the so called experts some technical questions. I asked on the Raymarine stand if I could adjust the window split ratio between depth sounder and charts and nearly brought there entire stand to abrupt halt as 5 of them were stood around the unit scratching their heads

Isn't buying a chartplotter like buying either an apple device (software and hardware tied in together) such as garmin or an android device which in the marine world which uses the Navionics software?

I just didn't get on with the navionics software on my current boat and also didn't like the latest version at the boat show so this was a big factor for me. So maybe the charting software preference may dictate your choice of charting hardware?

I agree with Chris though, we need a local dealer who will let us play with different demo products in the shop?
__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 07:59   #65
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Tony, it has arrived and that's the full price I paid with customs etc

Know where you are coming from regarding having a play with the units and then asking the so called experts some technical questions. I asked on the Raymarine stand if I could adjust the window split ratio between depth sounder and charts and nearly brought there entire stand to abrupt halt as 5 of them were stood around the unit scratching their heads

Isn't buying a chartplotter like buying either an apple device (software and hardware tied in together) such as garmin or an android device which in the marine world which uses the Navionics software?

I just didn't get on with the navionics software on my current boat and also didn't like the latest version at the boat show so this was a big factor for me. So maybe the charting software preference may dictate your choice of charting hardware?

I agree with Chris though, we need a local dealer who will let us play with different demo products in the shop?
.....I'll bring a bottle of something round to your place and you can demo the Echomax for me!
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 09:31   #66
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
Dan, all makes sense to me, other than the Garmin 4008 we've got isn't a touch screen
True, but it's the next step up in terms of price and size. I also think that in the right conditions the touchscreen would be good, I just want the option of buttons when required. And at the time I thought I needed to get Navionics for Loch Derg charts, though I have now been told that the Garmins come with em too now. I've made my choice now, just need to get the thing delivered and out on the water now!!!
__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 11:39   #67
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,581
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
........I just didn't get on with the navionics software on my current boat and also didn't like the latest version at the boat show so this was a big factor for me. So maybe the charting software preference may dictate your choice of charting hardware?.........
Odd one that, I've got both Garmin & Navionics charts & much prefer the Navionics (despite the, ahem! "price advantage" of the Garmin charts)
Was it the actual charts that put you off Navionics or the planning software? IMHO the Garmin charts look a bit "Fisher Price" whereas the Navionics look like "proper" Admiralty charts. Many of the newer non-Garmin units allow you the choice of mapping software, Navionics, Cmap, Jeppsen etc. But Garmin restricts you to their own proprietary mapping.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 11:52   #68
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
True, but it's the next step up in terms of price and size. I also think that in the right conditions the touchscreen would be good, I just want the option of buttons when required. And at the time I thought I needed to get Navionics for Loch Derg charts, though I have now been told that the Garmins come with em too now. I've made my choice now, just need to get the thing delivered and out on the water now!!!
it'll soon be ready Dan, then you'll have all season to play with it
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 11:56   #69
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
.....I'll bring a bottle of something round to your place and you can demo the Echomax for me!
Tony, you are welcome anytime however I would need to temporary wire it up to something as its still looking shiny in the box
__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2015, 12:03   #70
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Odd one that, I've got both Garmin & Navionics charts & much prefer the Navionics (despite the, ahem! "price advantage" of the Garmin charts)
Was it the actual charts that put you off Navionics or the planning software? IMHO the Garmin charts look a bit "Fisher Price" whereas the Navionics look like "proper" Admiralty charts. Many of the newer non-Garmin units allow you the choice of mapping software, Navionics, Cmap, Jeppsen etc. But Garmin restricts you to their own proprietary mapping.
Pikey

One of the important chart functionality's for me is being able to see previous tracks and routes. On my current Navman and Navionics setup the tracks are in the same colour, line thickness as the depth contours and I really don't like it. TBH not sure if this tracks is the hardware or the software element but its enough for me to want to avoid in a future purchase. Plus I am a bit of a simple person and still like my Fischer Price toys
__________________

__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.