Old 06 December 2004, 15:44   #1

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Enfield Explorer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x115HP Optimax
Need Help Diagnosing GPS Problem

Recently our main GPS unit (Lowrance LMS350A) packed up (internal battery failed).

I was delighted to pick up a Lowrance Globalmap 2000 unit VERY cheaply (ebay, unit described as brand new, never used), and discussions with Lowrance confirmed that I should be able to plug the GM2000 into the exiting power cable left installed from the LMS350 and the GPS side should work (sonar a different matter, but have not got to that yet).

However, on powering up the GM2000, I get a "GPS reciever not responding" message. As I know the GPS antenna was working on the LMS350, this indicates to me that either the pin-outs on the two units are different, or there is a fault with the GM2000.

Lowrance insist the pin-outs for the GPS functions are identical, so what I would really like to do is check my GM2000 on some-one elses installation to try to establish if it really is the head unit which is faulty.

Anyone with a boat in striking distance of Hertfordshire with either a Globalmap 2000 (or 1000 I think) or a LMS-350A installation that I could plug my unit into to see if the "GPS reciever not responding" message is repeated?

Any other bright ideas?

TIA

David
Old 06 December 2004, 16:12   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
This may help........

........When looking at GPS units last year I went into my local electronics shop in the harbour where, to demonstrate fixed units he simply pluged in and unpluged several different units into the "shop" ariel.

Perhaps you're local guy may have the same system ! Worth a thought.