Old 03 August 2013, 10:14   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Need a VHF

I'm a SIBer and hope at some stage to be taking to the sea, but need to first collect the mandatory sea-faring equipment set...one of which is of course a VHF radio.

My friend (a HAM enthusiast) has this for sale:

Two Way Radio KG-679E

He wants £40 for it, boxed, unused and brand new together with the programming cable - is this suitable for marine use, i.e. does it have the appropriate frequency? I'm aware that its not entirely waterproof but this doesn't worry me as it can sit inside a waterproof bag etc.
Old 03 August 2013, 10:37   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Illegal to use as a marine radio.. in addition it annotates by frequence hot Channel No.. you would need to know each channel No and its Frequency in mhz!! to select that channel !!
Old 03 August 2013, 10:59   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Because of the frequencies that set will run at you'll need an aerial that about 30 foot high to get the SWR right
Old 03 August 2013, 11:11   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Sergent, I'd look at doing the PB2 and VHF course before you go any further.
Old 03 August 2013, 11:23   #5

By the time you've bought a decent waterproof bag for it you'd be as well getting a very slightly more expensive cheap waterproof h/h thats designed for the marine environment.

Ignoring the legalities of the set. You can probably program channels into that but you wont get easy features like pressing 16 and being taken straight to 16. When the sh1t is hitting the fan you'll want that feature.
Old 03 August 2013, 11:34   #6

Thanks all, definitely won't be buying that set then!

Is there a budget set that you could recommend? I will rarely out of the marina/canal areas, therefore only really want one for emergencies with the most basic functionality at low cost (a long way below £100 if possible).
Old 03 August 2013, 11:44   #7

Remember you need to do the VHF course *before* you can legally use it (and it will teach you how to use it properly) but as I say (and presuming you are new to boats) it really would be best to do the PB2 before you go any further - definitely if you plan on going to sea. Factor in the cost of this. See Whisper's current topic for which VHF to buy.
Old 03 August 2013, 11:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Remember you need to do the VHF course *before* you can legally use it (and it will teach you how to use it properly) but as I say (and presuming you are new to boats) it really would be best to do the PB2 before you go any further - definitely if you plan on going to sea. Factor in the cost of this. See Whisper's current topic for which VHF to buy.
I do understand this Max, but I'll still need a device, and a budget one (not the type that Whisper is looking for).
Old 03 August 2013, 12:07   #9

So for reliability people say Standard Horizon or Icom. I've seen more posts about issues with Icom than SH. Assuming you understand what DSC is and what you are turning down then I agree for a budget purchase thats not what Whisper is after.
You'll get a standard horizon 280 for under £100.

Cobra is a lower end of the market radio, although I've not heard much bad about their newer kit. You can get a HH125 for about £50 but its not waterproof and not one of the newer ones. The HH475 is the one I've not ehard bad stuff about, but I can't see a decent price anywhere at the moment. Worth keeping an eye out as I'm sure there were places doign them for about £90 recently.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:28   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Cobra is a lower end of the market radio, although I've not heard much bad about their newer kit. .
I assumed that was because people were so fed up with the tat they produced that nobody bought it any more.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:44   #11

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
im an icom fan firstly, but would consider a standard horizon. in the past ive had a couple of cobra radios and they have been fine - a little chunky but easy to use and reliable.
Old 03 August 2013, 14:36   #12

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I have an Icom M23 which i think is their entry level H/H set, and I have been very pleased with it. Transmits nice and clearly, easy to use, floats, flashes so you can find it when you drop it in the water in the dark, very good battery life.

If I lost it I would buy another Icom, probably the same model. I have heard good reports on Standard Horizon too, but have never used one myself.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2013, 14:53   #13

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
first rule of physics and vhf handhelds...buy one that is not waterproof and it will, not may, find its way into the drainwell of a rib or a puddle in a sib at the earliest opportunity. If it cant manage that you will drop it into the water. Buy a waterproof one and it will behave itself impeccably and never get wet!
Second rule...buy cheap and you'll buy twice!
been there and done it over the years. We have two Icoms at present, had them for years, no problems at all.
My last coastguard h/h radio was an Icom...went thru rain, snow, lovely goooey sticky smelly mud, and has also been over the side of the boat. Washed off with the hosepipe and good as new, unlike me
Old 03 August 2013, 16:23   #14

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
also been over the side of the boat. Washed off with the hosepipe and good as new, unlike me
Really Mmmm
Old 03 August 2013, 17:21   #15

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Alot of talk about needing a licence, not sure if it's due to my location,but before I bothered doing any formal courses it was never a problem.

Indeed, a course would help improve your confidence, and you would know what to say, but you can find out what to say in a RYA book/SMCP manual, and confidence is built by practise and experiance.

I think it's more importan to carry a VHF wthout a licence than not carry a VHF because you don't have a licence.
Old 03 August 2013, 19:02   #16

@miccheck1516 generally people who are unlicenced are more reluctant to speak to authorities (Coastguard, Port Control etc). That means when something goes wrong they wait a bit longer before seeking assistance.

In addition they may not have all the bits to hand.

Course is not that expensive.

I agree - better to have it than not, but much better to fell you are allowed to use it before things get proper messy.
Old 03 August 2013, 19:58   #17

This is going to sound a bit arsy but If you've never been to sea (especially UK waters) before then not doing at least PB2 before venturing out in a boat is not the best idea IMHO. Just like you cannot (legally) drive a car or ride a motorbike on the public roads. Doing the VHF course is just common sense let alone a legal responsibility. I also really enjoyed the VHF course, doing it with a bunch of others in simulated situations is a lot different to reading from a book. Similarly the PB2 is a lot of fun and will really give you confidence as well as teaching you the basic rules of the road and so much more besides.
Old 03 August 2013, 20:26   #18

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
I do understand this Max, but I'll still need a device, and a budget one (not the type that Whisper is looking for).
Have a quick gander at this, I'm not saying they are right but they seem to rate the cobra

The 10 Best Handheld VHF Radios - uk.boats.com

I went for the icom dsc but only because it will get used, a lot

My old handheld will be in the for sale section soon along with a handheld GPS and water proof vhf case to offset some of the cost of the new vhf
Old 03 August 2013, 20:41   #19

Quote:
This is going to sound a bit arsy but If you've never been to sea (especially UK waters) before then not doing at least PB2 before venturing out in a boat is not the best idea IMHO. Just like you cannot (legally) drive a car or ride a motorbike on the public roads. Doing the VHF course is just common sense let alone a legal responsibility. I also really enjoyed the VHF course, doing it with a bunch of others in simulated situations is a lot different to reading from a book. Similarly the PB2 is a lot of fun and will really give you confidence as well as teaching you the basic rules of the road and so much more besides.
He didn't say he's not doing the courses. He said even when he has the ticket he needs the kit to use...

Now some may say do the course and you'll learn the pro's and con's of different kit, others will say if you know what kit you have you'll make sure you understand its options when on the course (lets face it if you are on a fixed VHF you probably dont care about power settings 25W will be just fine. On HH 1W will save your battery...)
Old 03 August 2013, 21:01   #20

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Quote:
This is going to sound a bit arsy
yup but then I probobly do too!

Quote:
but If you've never been to sea (especially UK waters) before then not doing at least PB2 before venturing out in a boat is not the best idea IMHO.
yeah, cause PB2 makes you a master mariner .... IMO any one with an ounce of common sense could pass a PB2 course with their eyes closed.

Quote:
Just like you cannot (legally) drive a car or ride a motorbike on the public roads.
but it's not just like that, because you can legally take whatever you want on the water without any sort of lisence, that is part of the beauty of boating.

Quote:
doing it with a bunch of others in simulated situations is a lot different to reading from a book.
precisley why I mentioned practice and experiance.

Quote:
Similarly the PB2 is a lot of fun and will really give you confidence as well as teaching you the basic rules of the road and so much more besides.
yeah, or you could just learn the rules of the road rather than spending money on a certificate that tells you you know the rules of the road....

Meh, I just don't get the hype about PB2 here, the very fact a 12 year old can get it (and I can assure you younger kids could if the RYA didn't proclude them on the basis of age) kinda says it all for me...

and before anyone asks, yes I did the PB2 course!

I'm not saying go out and wing it, i'm just saying a cerficate doesn't mean your safe to go on the water, Plenty of muppets have PB2 certificates....