Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 July 2006, 10:45   #21
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 885
Garmin ever time.

I echo Jon Brooks on this. Have the 2010c and this has been / is first class

- easy to use
- easy to see ( 10" screen)
- first class back up.

I will give you an example of the latter- when i purchase this ( in Belgium)-registered with garmin USA ( in fact you have,to as they give you two areas in mapsouce- and to get the unlock key you have to quote the serial number)
( I could be wrong on this??).

Anyway to cut it short-- out of the blue I received a mail from Garmin USA informing me that the firmware MUST be updated- and they would send me the update FOC. Low and behold 5 days later i received the module .Update was a sinch .. but that's what I call service. I think they want it back- but if anybody wants the update let me know.

jonathan
__________________

__________________
eupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 11:01   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,622
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
We are looking at a new radar for Windrider.

It came with a Raymarine and to be honest it is dire! IMHO
For something that is meant for the boating world it don't cope with it all that well!
No matter what we do to clear it the screen is always fogged!

Over the winter the plan is to remove it and replace with the Garmin Radar.
The main screen will be either the 3006 or the 3010. the second being the prefered choice.
I like the idea of having the radar overlaid on chart plotter with AIS on the at same.
Also, if we fit them, it can have two camera feeds! flash as!!

I find that the updaing of Garmin kit is a doddle too.
Keep an eye on thier site, download, plug in, upload and Roberts your dads brother!
Its so easy even I can do it!

Regards
__________________

__________________
Jon Brooks VSMM. Marine Mammal Medic, PBI, SRC Assessor,PWC Instructor.
www.horizonseasafaris.co.uk
Jon Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 13:11   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
We are looking at a new radar for Windrider.

It came with a Raymarine and to be honest it is dire! IMHO
For something that is meant for the boating world it don't cope with it all that well!
No matter what we do to clear it the screen is always fogged!

Over the winter the plan is to remove it and replace with the Garmin Radar.
The main screen will be either the 3006 or the 3010. the second being the prefered choice.
I like the idea of having the radar overlaid on chart plotter with AIS on the at same.
Also, if we fit them, it can have two camera feeds! flash as!!

I find that the updaing of Garmin kit is a doddle too.
Keep an eye on thier site, download, plug in, upload and Roberts your dads brother!
Its so easy even I can do it!

Regards

Yes but what Raymarine - how old? Mine has no hint of fogging at all - my mates Garmin does it occasionally - the Navman's do it all the time!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 15:41   #24
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
garmins all the way for me too, great product and superb product support

cant fault them
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 18:16   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
garmins all the way for me too, great product and superb product support

cant fault them
But Chris,with all due respect, you have no experience of anything other than that that you have chosen to put on your boat. Raymarine is serious kit. I've done offshore delivery trips on yachts fitted with Raymarine systems and they are superb. Garmin is good stuff but, as with most things in life, there are 'horses for courses'.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 18:25   #26
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
But Chris,with all due respect, you have no experience of anything other than that that you have chosen to put on your boat. Raymarine is serious kit. I've done offshore delivery trips on yachts fitted with Raymarine systems and they are superb. Garmin is good stuff but, as with most things in life, there are 'horses for courses'.
true i have no experience of raymarine, or lawrence equipment but did some research, spoke with others, does everything well, easy to use, when i lost a bit thru my own fault they sent me a whole replacement cradle foc, so everything that folks said about their customer care adds up for me. If the product was crap i would say so as never backwards in coming forwards.
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 18:27   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
true i have no experience of raymarine, or lawrence equipment but did some research, spoke with others, does everything well, easy to use, when i lost a bit thru my own fault they sent me a whole replacement cradle foc, so everything that folks said about their customer care adds up for me. If the product was crap i would say so as never backwards in coming forwards.
It must be good then.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 19:05   #28
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
It must be good then.
Im a happy pieman

its done 1000 mls and 65 hours and all ok so far
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2006, 02:57   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
Im a happy pieman

its done 1000 mls and 65 hours and all ok so far
I would hope so!!!! That's 3 days use on an offshore yacht!

Garmin is good kit, but you have no comparisons. The fact that they replaced a bit and a other ribbers like them doesn't suddenly make them better than any other brand. I have Garmin and will replace it with Garmin but, I feel, that doesn't qualify me to 'advise' anyone as to what is 'best'.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2006, 03:20   #30
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
I would hope so!!!! That's 3 days use on an offshore yacht!

Garmin is good kit, but you have no comparisons. The fact that they replaced a bit and a other ribbers like them doesn't suddenly make them better than any other brand. I have Garmin and will replace it with Garmin but, I feel, that doesn't qualify me to 'advise' anyone as to what is 'best'.
.....
__________________

__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.