Old 29 June 2010, 20:46   #1

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
Navman 7200 VHF interferance

Out on Rib last weekend and with VHF switched on in stand by mode, others around me were complaining of a constant noise, as if someone was transmitting. When I switched off, all was OK. Anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Seemed to be the same on all channels. However, another problem was an intermittent inability to dial different channels.
Old 30 June 2010, 08:41   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A bit obvious I guess, but was your set showing a TX symbol?

Did the receiving sets pick up "your" interference on all channels while you stayed on one, i.e. 16, OR did it occur as you moved through the channel range effecting them as you went?

Was the inability to dial a channel found on your fistmic or on the main set?
Old 30 June 2010, 21:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A bit obvious I guess, but was your set showing a TX symbol?

Did the receiving sets pick up "your" interference on all channels while you stayed on one, i.e. 16, OR did it occur as you moved through the channel range effecting them as you went?

Was the inability to dial a channel found on your fistmic or on the main set?
Not sure about the TX symbol, difficult to read the screen without my glasses and sun reflecting off!

Don't think others received on all channels whilst I was static on one channel, as later I had a handheld on board and it didn't happen with that. I did move through the channels [when the set did decide to allow me to change channel] and the interference went with me. The channel change when it was not working, didn't work on either the set or the fistmic.
Old 30 June 2010, 21:26   #4
RIBnet Supporter

From what you say, it sounds like your mic was "open" and the set simply transmitting. I'm guessing that that might also prevent the set from changing channels. I seem to recall someone else on here having a similar problem and b1tching 'cos the mic was hardwired to the set

If it's corrosion inside the mic, you're stuffed. I'd try rinsing the outside of the mic in case it's a build up of salt on the controls holding a button in. A longshot but free to try. A couple of slaps wouldn't go amiss either

My experience so far (owning a 7100) and seeing several others is that they are prone to corrosion on buttons and knobs.
Old 01 July 2010, 09:29   #5

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: Clam Chowder
Make: Humber
Engine: 85 Yam
If you like you can send it to me and I will check it out for you! PM me and I will give you my address or find my address on www.boatintercoms.co.uk
Old 10 August 2010, 20:12   #6

Decided to give up on the Navman and bought an Standard Horizon GX1500E. Fitted it successfully with the aid of my 15 year old son [he is great with the jigsaw]. Rxd telephone call from Navman Service centre today who advise that if it could be fixed there will be a £45 labour charge + parts + carriage + VAT, where I see little change from £80 [not forgetting my cost for sending the set back to them], which is over 50% of a new set!
It seems to me that repairs on electronics are purposely over priced to encourage punters to buy new!
Old 10 August 2010, 20:17   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ribman View Post
It seems to me that repairs on electronics are purposely over priced to encourage punters to buy new!
Yes, and you made the right decision to buy someone else's.
I'd tell them too.