Old 04 September 2008, 01:05   #1

Town: Budapest
Boat name: MOTORKACSA
Make: Selva
Length: 4m +
Engine: Selva (by Yamaha)
Navman 6507 and AIS (or any other NMEA IN)

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect a Comar CSB200 transponder to a Navman 6507.

Sadly enough, no information is available on the wiring. I was instructed to buy a Tri-Cable (W cable, or sometimes - wrongly - referred as Y cable; a Y cable is for GPS and FUEL/AIS connection, not both at the same time).

Anyway, I'm struggling with trying to figure out how to interface NMEA to the chartplotter. The NMEA sentences do appear on the NMEA out on the transponder, the chartplotter is set up correctly.

It's all about the wiring.

So if anyone would have an idea how to solve this - I would really appreciate his support.

I called my dealer, an ISC in Vienna, Plastimo Support in the UK. Emailed several dealers in Australia. Spent hours googleing the internet for instructions - no luck.

There's two things I could do: give up and order the tri-cable (I was told that the distributor is out of stock, or buy one from the net).

Regards,

Attila
Old 04 September 2008, 20:03   #2

Really kind problems solve themselves..

...or a solution comes up from nothing.
On this page:
http://www.navmanmarine.net/Navman/T...t.aspx?id=5285

I've found something interesting:
Connecting TRACKER 5100/i, TRACKER 5500/i, TRACKER 5600, FISH 4500

NMEA OUTPUT + from third party instrument, connect to BLUE wire (NMEA IN) on NAVMAN instrument
NMEA Output – from third party instrument, connect to GND.

Note that my plotter (6507) is not mentioned here while in the next section its family at least appears.

Regardless ... the so called DATA cable (the one with the yellow connector) has a blue wire. Connect your AIS unit's NMEA+ to this wire and it will start working (no matter if it's a receiver or a transponder).

I have a reply from a Plastimo - NAVMAN ISC that without a special cable it won't work.
I called Plastimo Support in the UK to find out - no cable, no solution, they said. ("I cannot advise you to cut the wires up, Sir")

And now it works.

Check it out here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...47.518&zoom=12
Old 06 September 2008, 06:25   #3

The "who am I" problem

Hi All,

just wanted to let you know that things are fixed now.

But there's an interesting side-effect: the boat is broadcasting its signals, the chartplotter is plotting the ships, everything is fine. But. As the charplotter cannot differentiate the boat's own signals from the other signals in the neighborhood, it always detects a fatal situation, a dangerous vessel 0m away from itself.

Regards,

Attila
Old 20 December 2008, 17:58   #4

Town: Stockholm
Length: 8m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajdosa View Post
Hi All,

just wanted to let you know that things are fixed now.

But there's an interesting side-effect: the boat is broadcasting its signals, the chartplotter is plotting the ships, everything is fine. But. As the charplotter cannot differentiate the boat's own signals from the other signals in the neighborhood, it always detects a fatal situation, a dangerous vessel 0m away from itself.

Regards,

Attila
Did you find any solution to this? I have the same "problem"... I wish it was possibly to stop the plotter, in the setup, from detect the own boat...
Old 20 December 2008, 20:46   #5

Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
AIS units are supposed to self ignore.

Connect back to your PC and make sure you have set ALL the parameters correctly.

I will have a word with the Comar tech boys and let you know if they think you have a problem.
Old 20 December 2008, 21:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffs View Post
AIS units are supposed to self ignore.

Connect back to your PC and make sure you have set ALL the parameters correctly.

I will have a word with the Comar tech boys and let you know if they think you have a problem.
Sounds real good, thank you. I will check my Comar again.. I have another problem as well. According to the manual it will be possibly to shut off the transmitter and only use it för recieving by connecting the green and blue wire to each other via a cirkuitbreaker with on/off. Doesn´t work for me.. And yes, I have set that up in the set up program,, Any idéas about that? I have mailed the dealer about that but no answer yet...
Old 21 December 2008, 19:56   #7

The switch can be configured for different modes depending on what you require,again programmed via the PC program.
Old 22 December 2008, 07:51   #8

Quote:
The switch can be configured for different modes depending on what you require,again programmed via the PC program.
Yes, and that is done. But nothing happends when connecting the green and blue wires togehter.. First i thought maybe it was something wrong in the swedish manual but I have found the english (on the Internet) as well and it says the same, blue and green wires. Connect them and the transponder will only recieve.
Old 22 December 2008, 08:12   #9

Reply back from Comar.

They tell me that the own ship message is sent out as a VDO message and not like the rest as a VDM message. The Navman should then know thie is own ship and ignore the data. It is possible using the PC program again to turn the VDO messages so the problem should go away.

The switch set up has a number of options. one is to use a momentary push button to switch on/off, the other is a closing switch to shut the transmission off. may be you slelected the wrong one.
Old 22 December 2008, 09:48   #10

Quote:
Reply back from Comar.

They tell me that the own ship message is sent out as a VDO message and not like the rest as a VDM message. The Navman should then know thie is own ship and ignore the data. It is possible using the PC program again to turn the VDO messages so the problem should go away.

The switch set up has a number of options. one is to use a momentary push button to switch on/off, the other is a closing switch to shut the transmission off. may be you slelected the wrong one.
Thanks for this great information.. Now I only have to figure out how to turn the VDO messeges of.. About the switch, I am 100% sure that I done it right.. Did it several times, but I will try again.. If you have any information about how to disable the VDO messeage in the setup program it would be great, but I try to find out. Now at the same time that I am writing this my dealer mailed me an answer about the switch on/off. There is two different way to do that. Different wires, so I will try the other way to do it now.
Old 22 December 2008, 14:05   #11

On/off

The on/off funktion is now solved. My dealer mailed me the answer that some Comar CSB200 use another way to disable the transmitter, he didn´t know why.. The info in mail was that the green wire is only an internal - (ground) så the blue wire has to be connected to the negativ ground wire instead. I did that and of course it did not work... Then I connected the green one to - (ground) wire and it worked. Så now my only problem is how to disable the vdo messeage from the transponder to the plotter so my own boat will not be seen on the screen as a dangerous, to near boat. I can not find how to do that in the set up program and it is not possible to do it in the plotter (Navman 5507) either.. All info will be helpfull....