Old 16 June 2013, 10:09   #11

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
The mmsi and the call sign are assigned to a particular vessel, however once an mmsi number is programmed it there for good unless you want to send it back to the manufacturer, however, if you go to the ofcom site you can change the vessel details yourself, it may not be a orthodox way of doing things but it can be done.

I've never had to do it as never needed to as every boat I've ever bought, except my last one, has never had a number programmed in, I expect because the owner has never had a licence and had no idea what it was. There are plenty of raggies I've met who have kept their radio and stuck it on the new boat and just changed the details with ofcom.

Old 16 June 2013, 10:13   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
For certain, the call sign and mmsi stay with the vessel. If changing ownership the mmsi will stay with the vessel unless the old license is cancelled and it is not reregistered in new owners name within a certain timescale.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2013, 10:14   #13

Town: Salisbury/Poole
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The mmsi and the call sign are assigned to a particular vessel, however once an mmsi number is programmed it there for good unless you want to send it back to the manufacturer, however, if you go to the ofcom site you can change the vessel details yourself, it may not be a orthodox way of doing things but it can be done.

I've never had to do it as never needed to as every boat I've ever bought, except my last one, has never had a number programmed in, I expect because the owner has never had a licence and had no idea what it was. There are plenty of raggies I've met who have kept their radio and stuck it on the new boat and just changed the details with ofcom.
That is as maybe however it does not mean they are doing it right... As I say the MMSI is a vessel allocation NOT radio....