Old 26 September 2003, 18:06   #21

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Fox
You could fix a parcel shelf onto the A frame, bolt in a couple of 12" main speakers, put a pair of tweeters on the console a bass woofer under the jockey seat and a 350 watt amp in the bow locker and you should be able to hear it above the sound of the outboard.
Good call
To be honest you would want the electronics more amidships, they would get banged about too much in the Bow. Also if you have a subbass with a 100 hertz hi pass filter then you could get away with 8 or 10 inch which would be an easier install on a 4.7 metre rib
Old 26 September 2003, 19:23   #22

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
where will you put the record decks and mixer?
Old 26 September 2003, 19:47   #23

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125

Well done guys, nice to see some light hearted banter, makes it feel like friday
Old 26 September 2003, 19:57   #24

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Take the cowl off and put the record on the fly wheel, MeMe will have to go a bit faster than the rest of us to get his 78's to play at the right speed but you will be able to go all day with an LP playing. Apparently you get 33 and a third LP's to the gallon!
Old 18 February 2004, 22:55   #25

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
Possible Solution : iPod

An iPod and a good pair of 'phones is all you need! You can listen to whatever you want at whatever volume you want then...
http://www.apple.com/uk/ipod/

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipodbacklit10162003.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	4404  
Old 18 February 2004, 23:57   #26

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
I use my HP IPAQ 1940 with a 512mb memory card.
2 hundred songs, 8hr battery life, 1 set of headphones & no issues!!!

Pete
Old 19 February 2004, 09:59   #27
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: yanmar
From what I hear car cd players and ribs don't go to well together. I am going to get one of these and see if there are any good.

www.myirock.com

(item called beamit)

It is an FM transmitter which will plug into your choice of output be it Ipod, mp3, personal CD etc. This transmits 10-30 feet to the bog standard radio/speaker set up that you have installed.

This way you can keep your ipod etc in your pocket or out of harms way and save having to buy expensive kit for the boat that may get wreaked in the elements.

Apparently they won't send direct to UK and I don't know what the legality of this is?? Anyone know before I get myself i trouble?

cheers
ozz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img92.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	4413  
Old 19 February 2004, 10:17   #28

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Music to my ears

You boys and your toys........ You should just be content to listen to the roar of that two stroke throbbing away behind you ripping big holes in the sea and spewing out noxious oil pollutants....lol

!!!! I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning !!!!!

R
Old 19 February 2004, 11:04   #29

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
You will find all you need <at bargain prices!> on ebay. Waterproof speakers at about £12 each, waterproof covers for your stero about £20.

http://automotive.listings.ebay.co.u...columnlayoutZ3

PS. Not all 18-year olds race around playing loud "modern" music. I am 17, and driving around in my Peogeot 205 with RIB on the back, there's nothing I like better than a bit of Courtney Pine Jazz!
Old 19 February 2004, 11:27   #30

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally posted by jwrhold

It is interesting what you say about speakers, and that modern cones are no longer paper...
Yeh, but watch out for this. On some speakers, where the voice coil tails come through the cone and attach to the flexible cables which link across to the chassis, make sure this is fully waterproofed. It doesn't take long for a drop of salt water to corrode them through. Been there....etc.
Old 19 February 2004, 12:29   #31

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Ozz,

www.cardvd.co.uk have a similar FM modulator item under accessories.

They do two models a wired and un wired.

Wired takes a 12v source and physically connects into the aerial lead of the radio. I've recently used one of these to put playstation2 sound through the car stereo and it works well. Its not quite DVD quality sound but is ok. There is a slight hiss but I think a ground loop isolator may sort this out.

The unwired I understand takes 2 AAA batts and doesn't have a physical connection to the aerial lead. Which sounds similar to what you have above.

Prices for both are in the region of £30 and can be bought direct or through their ebay shop.

As for legalities I'm not sure - as the wired item doesn't actually "broadcast" the FM signal by feeding it directly into the aerial lead it could be classed as legal. The wirefree one in my opinion is illegal, as I understand it is illegal to broadcast any FM signal of any power without the necessary license or it being a nominated public frequency eg PMR446. However realistically with such a small amount of output power I wouldn't foresee a problem.

Confirmation from Radiocommunications Agency

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...nt/miscell.htm

Cheers

Mike
Old 19 February 2004, 14:40   #32

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
They are illegal

Ozz,

Unfortunately, the FM transmitters ARE illegal in the UK, under Section 2 of the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1949. However, 1949 was a long time ago and I do not know how strictly this law is enforced. Also, I wouldn't have thought the sound quality from the speakers after transmission would be a patch on original quality from the iPod, MP3 or CD player.

Maybe wireless headphones is an option, leaving the iPod and headphone base in a jockey seat. Then again, who wants to wear hot headphones on a summer afternoon in the Solent ?!

Robert

(For more info on the legality of the FM transmitters, go to www.everythingipod.com, then Products, then FM transmitters and recievers).
Old 19 February 2004, 16:42   #33

Town: Cork
Boat name: Iago
Make: Cobra
Length: 5.8
Engine: Mariner 90 4-stroke
The other approach is to simply fit an amplifier and speaker setup with jack/phono inputs. That way you have no music player in the boat (no moving parts), and can have your choice of discman/portable mp3 player/walkman to pass signal into it. Anything with a headphone socket. Personally, I'd bathe the internal circuit board of the amp in epoxy. Over time, a lot of corrosion can take place inside, despite the best efforts of the manufacturer. Or else, put another coat of laquer on.
Old 19 February 2004, 16:53   #34

Town: Cork
Boat name: Iago
Make: Cobra
Length: 5.8
Engine: Mariner 90 4-stroke
...or even lacquer. Just checked my bottle of nail varnish.
Old 19 February 2004, 17:06   #35
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
Mike/Robert,
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to give it a go, done a little bit of digging on the net and it sounds like the sound quality, whilst not as good as CD is still pretty good.

On the legal side, I can't see that such a small transmitter is going to cause an issue/be picked up.

Just need to get an amp thats up to the job now!

Regards

Ozz
Old 19 February 2004, 17:25   #36

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
I have a stereo fitted on my RIB.

Actuall player is a Sony and lives inside completley inside the condole. Two waterproof speakers also fitted to the console by cutting suitable size circualr hole.

Control is via a wired remot and it is this that can be seen on my console amongst the other instrument dials just above the throttle in this picture http://www.yellowrib.co.uk/images/ex...7/IMG_0014.JPG

Will control either a radio/tape or Radio/CD combination.

Radio/Tape player survived last season and I had no problems listening to the music, (often didn't hear people calling me on the VHF though)

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2004, 22:07   #37

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
under the circumstances of the install enviroment, i suggest you get a cheap amp that can in theory be thrown away when it does die.

If your looking at automotive amps then at the risk of upsetting the people who hate 17-18yr old in their fiestas, go buy a copy of maxpower. In the back you will find all the gear you need and on a typical £200 cd player you will save atleast 25% on rrp. If your stuck on models go to halfords and pick their brains and when you know what you want get it out the mag! In the install process make sure the amp is not mounted upside down or the heatsink wont do its job, but they dont really need alot of ventilation for the sort of power your talking.

If you need any advice on models or power let me know. i may be able to help. I dont have a fiesta and im not 17 but I do know my car stereo!

gt
Old 21 February 2004, 18:09   #38

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
waterproof speakers dont cost all that much so im going to fit a standard car radio under a splash cover and buy some waterproof speakers for it.
Old 13 August 2012, 12:15   #39

Town: London
I just came accross this thread and wondered if anyone can give me some pointers, I have a car stereo that I was thinking of fitting to the RIB, it seems we can pick up speakers relatively cheaply, but are there any issues I need to consider when fitting a normal car stereo (other than getting a waterproof cover)?

We only use our RIB inland at the moment, if that makes a difference.
Old 13 August 2012, 20:51   #40

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra
I just came accross this thread and wondered if anyone can give me some pointers, I have a car stereo that I was thinking of fitting to the RIB, it seems we can pick up speakers relatively cheaply, but are there any issues I need to consider when fitting a normal car stereo (other than getting a waterproof cover)?

We only use our RIB inland at the moment, if that makes a difference.
I've Fitted a few standard stereos on boats, they last surprisingly well with the covers fitted.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote