Old 26 October 2011, 07:20   #1

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Mobile phone service

Got a mate with a new home in Scotland. The problem he has is marginal phone signal. I have seen a signal booster but can't remember where or how it works. Any thoughts you lot?

sent from a remote device
Old 26 October 2011, 07:52   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Biff, I have two boosters on the external aeriel that run to a box in the loft that is powered and boosts the signal. Works a treat as I originally had one bar by a window and now have five bars anywhere in the house.

You need to know what Mhz the phone runs on, from memory T mobile Orange are 1800 and O2 and Vodaphone are 900 I think so you need the correct booster

Similar to these http://mobilerepeater.co.uk/shop/home.php

http://mobilerepeater.co.uk/shop/ind...9245912dc903c8

Each one has a range/distance so if you want more area covered you spend more, but generally in the house the small area ones work
Old 26 October 2011, 07:56   #3

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Sounds like something I could do with too. Can you offer any more details on where you get them, cost, ease of fitting etc ?

Cheers

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 26 October 2011, 08:01   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Sounds like something I could do with too. Can you offer any more details on where you get them, cost, ease of fitting etc ?

Cheers

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
I initially has such a poor signal on moving I knew I was loosing calls/business even when I put mobile to landline. I spoke to a local aeriel man who knew of these and brought one in to test, he fitted it on a TV aeriel post and ran wires into the loft where the booster was fitted(needs to be powered )
I then bought a second one for other network I think through the link I have shown and the same guy fitted it, exactly the same process.

As said , one bar in one room by a window to full household cover on five bars. Just occassionally the signal drops. Worth the cost for me
Old 26 October 2011, 08:37   #5

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
The village where I live is at the bottom of a valley and no networks get signal, I bought this
Vodafone Sure Signal launched - MyNextFone

for £30 from vodafone shop, plugs in to router, now have flat out 3G signal in house and up the garden 60' long. it is cheap reliable and you can add other mobile numbers to it. As far as i am aware it is only available for Voda network, my significant other is on o2 and they certainly did not do a booster box, but for me it is spot on and very reliable.
Old 26 October 2011, 09:09   #6

Cheers lads that helps a lot

Old 26 October 2011, 17:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS

I initially has such a poor signal on moving I knew I was loosing calls/business even when I put mobile to landline. I spoke to a local aeriel man who knew of these and brought one in to test, he fitted it on a TV aeriel post and ran wires into the loft where the booster was fitted(needs to be powered )
I then bought a second one for other network I think through the link I have shown and the same guy fitted it, exactly the same process.

As said , one bar in one room by a window to full household cover on five bars. Just occassionally the signal drops. Worth the cost for me
Cheers sounds very tempting. I get very good so gal at my home but my parents is a nightmare and that's generally where I am when I'm waiting on customers to arrive for viewings etc as it's only 5mins from my Yard.

The problem I get is u say "call when your 5 mins out and I'll meet you there" but then I get the voicemail message 20 mins after they arrive which never goes down well.

But should I spend £400 just for that or leave it by the window and walk 10 feet outside to take any calls.

If it was my own home, I'll do it in an instant. I'll ponder on it for a bit

Old 31 October 2011, 05:25   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Depending on which phone he has & whether he has Wifi at home, he maybe able to use UMA which allows the phone to use Wifi for vioce calls. We have it & it works seamlessly. It's not well publicised. Blackberrys & some Nokias have it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 09:37   #9

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:

If it was my own home, I'll do it in an instant. I'll ponder on it for a bit

Are there any rooms at your parents house that have any signal at all? You could leave your phone there and use bluetooth to operate the phone. No idea if this is practical or not for you but it seems a cheaper alternative (if it works).
Old 31 October 2011, 12:13   #10

Thanks guys, they have wifi with 50mg b/b. I have an iPhone 4. No rooms get great signal. I leave the phone on the windowsill at the moment then run outside to take any calls. Works but still not great signal out here and if it's raining...

It's not much of a nuisance, I'll grin and bear it at £400.

Old 31 October 2011, 13:02   #11

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Depending on which phone he has & whether he has Wifi at home, he maybe able to use UMA which allows the phone to use Wifi for vioce calls. We have it & it works seamlessly. It's not well publicised. Blackberrys & some Nokias have it.
We had virtually no signal in the house on any network.....Use UMA on both the Blackberry phones and my wife (solicitor on call phone) also recently changed her work handset to an HTC android thing which also has it. As Dave said, doesn't seem to be well publicised

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 13:50   #12

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Quote:
Thanks guys, they have wifi with 50mg b/b. I have an iPhone 4. No rooms get great signal. I leave the phone on the windowsill at the moment then run outside to take any calls. Works but still not great signal out here and if it's raining...

It's not much of a nuisance, I'll grin and bear it at £400.

50 Milligrams of ball bearings? There's ya problem then right there! Ya needs 60 Peter
Old 03 November 2011, 08:02   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
[QUOTE=biffer;427147]Got a mate Thats pushing it a bit far!!!!!
Drink soon?
Alan P
Old 03 November 2011, 08:29   #14

You must know how difficult it is to get real mates. Are you still buggering around with gearboxes in the same place? I'll come over and see you

Old 03 November 2011, 11:08   #15

Town: lendalfoot
Boat name: eileen
Make: flatacraft force 4
Length: 3m +
Engine: yet to come
I live on the west coast of Scotland and am well served by Orange. Many come to stay with other companies are less well served. A son lives near New Luce and once he is home, only a landline will do it. As you travel up to the high moor, all is well, till you drop into the basin where ALL radio dies-especialy digital. Bog standard liand line is the only way.....should he chose to answere. Oldun.

Age gives a greater opportunity to ASK an awefull lot of ouestions.
Old 03 November 2011, 18:47   #16

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post
The village where I live is at the bottom of a valley and no networks get signal, I bought this
Vodafone Sure Signal launched - MyNextFone

for £30 from vodafone shop, plugs in to router, now have flat out 3G signal in house and up the garden 60' long. it is cheap reliable and you can add other mobile numbers to it. As far as i am aware it is only available for Voda network, my significant other is on o2 and they certainly did not do a booster box, but for me it is spot on and very reliable.
Well off the back of this .. I bought one now £48.00 off Amazon, through Vodaphones shop, and is does what it says on the tin .. Full 3G all over the Bigmuz7 ponderosa .. I didnt want to get a wifi router, but the current Mrs Bigmuz7 couldnt surf with her iPhone 4 .. but now we have no dropped voice calls and my sky news app can be view after I've suggled under the duvet and all the vids from the news clips are now playable
Old 05 November 2011, 16:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7

Well off the back of this .. I bought one now £48.00 off Amazon, through Vodaphones shop, and is does what it says on the tin .. Full 3G all over the Bigmuz7 ponderosa .. I didnt want to get a wifi router, but the current Mrs Bigmuz7 couldnt surf with her iPhone 4 .. but now we have no dropped voice calls and my sky news app can be view after I've suggled under the duvet and all the vids from the news clips are now playable
Are there any for orange ?

Old 05 November 2011, 17:15   #18

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
I'm wondering the same thing Peter as there is a very cheap sim card supplier down here in Spain but they use the orange network. I can't get an orange signal in my house here but my wife's phone gets one solitary bar on her phone so I am thinking of a booster too.
Old 06 November 2011, 11:51   #19
CSR

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Ghillie Bhoy
Make: Humber
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
MMSI: 235117121
Ive also got a Vodafone Sure signal box. When I bought mine 3 years ago it was £150 but it is worth every single penny. You can easily add all your family members and any visitors you have so that everyone can get a full 3G signal.
Old 06 November 2011, 11:55   #20

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Its a pity it only works for Vodafone users, who you have to register with the box/vodafone first