Old 25 October 2009, 14:02   #1

Town: Dalgety Bay
Boat name: tigger
Make: Humber inflatables
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 merc 4 stroke bf
marine steroes

can you fit a cd player into a boat as small as a 4.3 ? can you get those dinjky a frame speakers?
Old 28 October 2009, 14:13   #2

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
fit it to anything if you have the room haha, those tower speakers are crazily expensive man
Old 28 October 2009, 14:39   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
CD player going to be a bit of a waste of time, as I suspect it won't handle the pounding too well......

Now an MP3 / IPOD (no moving parts) is a whole different discussion....... (and will take up a lot les space!) MP3 Walkman & a power amp hidden in the console out the way of the wet stuff has some potential...

I now hand you over to the soundheads.
Old 28 October 2009, 22:49   #4

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Hey,

Yeah, you could install one on a 1m rubby ducky if you had space...!

I'm looking to install a sound system in my 5m rib - all you need is space for the actual radio -- you can either mount it into your console (get a waterproof fascia one), or get one that sits inside it's own fully waterproof housing, with drop down lid so you can access it.

And find somewhere to put it. Mine's going under my console as I have a big hatch there. So it's dryish within console, and then extra dry within it's dry case. (and I don't have space to flush mount it in the console...!)

Speaker wise, again all depends on your boat layout - I'm mounting one either side of my console as again I have a fair amount of room inside console box for them. But you might also be able to mount under seats etc...

Bear in mind, speakers will perform better if they are insulated from behind... i.e. build a speaker box around the speaker (with a drain hole) -- that way sound is insulated from behind and produces better output. Such a box will also protect the back of speakers from any bangs and knocks...

I did however struggle finding decent speakers for the wet environment of a rib --- most speakers advertised as 'marine' 'sprayproof' probably won't last that long on a very weather/elements exposed rib... Infact my local chandelery said they wouldn't recommend any of their speakers for a RIB!!! I did however find Aquatic AV producing some excellent, suitable speakers (http://aquaticav.com/)

And yes, as 9d280 says, Im not even going to bother using the CD player... as soon as you go over anything other than a milk pond, you'll be skipping....

But the radio I'm looking at has SD card slot and USB flash drive slot.... perfect, as no moving parts on SD or Flash drives... and you can load up heaps of songs on say a 8gb flash drive...

You'll also be able to use it for FM radio with a suitable aerial of course... but of course reception will sink as you go to sea...

Re the arch speakers, yes you'll pay a shed load more for them than standard flush mount speakers, and you'll probably be getter lesser quality for your money. But they are great space savers... and can look quite cool....!

If you don't want to cut holes in stuff to mount flush mount speakers, you can get stuff like this: http://www.gme.net.au/products/speakers/marine/SPK009W. (although don't know how marine proof that specific example is and they do look a bit dumb!

Radio examples:
http://www.gme.net.au/products/enter...-marine/GR9240 (full housing)
http://www.gme.net.au/products/enter...-marine/GR9220 (flush mount)

Hope that helps!!!
Old 31 October 2009, 16:28   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we have a freestanding bluetooth speaker unit that pairs with the mobile phone for music which is great around a house or an big cabin boat-but a waterproof version would do nicely for the rib if I could find one, then I wouldnt need the radio unit itself- anyone seen such a thing ???????????
Old 01 November 2009, 01:40   #6

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
we have a freestanding bluetooth speaker unit that pairs with the mobile phone for music which is great around a house or an big cabin boat-but a waterproof version would do nicely for the rib if I could find one, then I wouldnt need the radio unit itself- anyone seen such a thing ???????????
Yeah you'd definately be able to get "waterproof speaker units" like that, but it's all down to quality... and powering them... but im not sure how waterproof they'd be in the real world...

Some of the external speakers like that are powered by inbuilt batteries (AA etc)... which don't give my power == poor (relative) quality and poor (relative) volume.

It's all relative - small external speakers plugged into a mp3 player does work and make sound, but compared to a full setup of insultated speakers and "mains" powered stereo and amp, it doesn't compare... but that's entirely down to preference and how much of a 'stereo head' you are...

If you want to be blasting crisp tunes and heavy bass as you fly off at 30 knots, you're gonna need something more than a mp3 player plugged into some AA battery speakers...

But if you want to quietly listen to some jazz whilst you anchor at your favourite sun bathing spot, I guess it'll work! And in this siutation, waterproofness doesn't matter, because you're anchored...

Old 01 November 2009, 08:57   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
If you've got 12 volts you've got sound

On my rib I use clarion waterproof speakers and a JBL power amp. the Ipod plus into the two phono inputs bia a 4.5mm jack to 2 phono leads and the sound is quite acceptable.

Battery powere speakers don't sond like a good idea as I can at the very least see the battery contacts coroding disolving in days.

As long as the system is good enough to let the music through, which this is, it will do for a rib.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARION-CM1680...item2554277045

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5m-HQ-3-5mm-Ja...item3a54526f93

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenwood-KAC-52...item3a540fbf0c

Gets it done for about 70 kwid

I have found that the waterproof car radio housings didnea work very well
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2009, 09:36   #8

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos