Old 23 December 2009, 21:24   #1

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Lowrance / Navionics Maps

Hey,

This is a bit specific - but maybe someone has experience with Lowrance GPS units...

Mine is Lowrance LMS 520C...

I have a Navionics SD card for my GPS, with New Zealand maps bundle.

I used this memory card to udpate the unit's software to 2.5 via a PC (as per nstructions on lowrance's website).

I then returned the SD card to the unit and powered in.

It automatically update the unit, and software version now reads the updated 2.5.

However, none of the NZ maps load - when looking at the map view of the area, I just get my waypoints & trails, but no country detail.

It worked perfectly previous to the unit software update.

When using the unit to browse files on the SD card, I can see the root files Data and Overlay, and then 3 chart files (within navionics/charts) (8G055S.nv2, 8g160XL.nv2 & 8g170s.nv2) -- so the unit is reading / finding the card okay.

I've read that the unit should find maps automatically and load them from SD card...

Any ideas at all?!!! Much appreciated... and season's greetings!

Rob
Old 23 December 2009, 21:27   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Any b**gering around with the navionics card as far as I am aware totally screws it up. I always use a spare 36mb card to do updates because of this, as far as I am aware, correct info.
So you may have knackered the card........
Old 23 December 2009, 21:29   #3

feck.

I have all the files from sd card stored on my pc (copied them there as a back up incase something went wrong ha...)

Any ideas if I can restructure the sd card?

Cheers
Old 23 December 2009, 21:42   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Stupid question - you have "told it" to use navionics maps? the menu options will be something like Map Data / Map Choice / Map Name ??
Old 23 December 2009, 21:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Stupid question - you have "told it" to use navionics maps? the menu options will be something like Map Data / Map Choice / Map Name ??
You have just saved my life.

I feel really dumb... but to my defence, I did look at all the Map loading options... there was nothing to 'load' map data...

but then I remember an option to tell is which map to use... and it was using Lowrance built in Maps... not the Navionics NZ Maps...

Saviour!!! Thank you
Old 23 December 2009, 22:24   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbathgate View Post
You have just saved my life.

I feel really dumb... but to my defence, I did look at all the Map loading options... there was nothing to 'load' map data...

but then I remember an option to tell is which map to use... and it was using Lowrance built in Maps... not the Navionics NZ Maps...

Saviour!!! Thank you
Ah, well, lets just say you might not be the first person to have been confused by the Lowrance menu system!
Old 23 December 2009, 22:48   #7

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Have you tried the menu for navionics maps and it worked?
The default settings when loading an update is back to factory settings so it could be the problem but several folk here have screwed up the card trying to copy the navionics files from the card. I would be curious how you managed it when others have failed, expecially as I bought two cards as I was under the impression you couldn't copy them!
As far as menus go I like my Lowrance kit but the instructions leave much to be desired.....
Old 24 December 2009, 02:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Have you tried the menu for navionics maps and it worked?
The default settings when loading an update is back to factory settings so it could be the problem but several folk here have screwed up the card trying to copy the navionics files from the card. I would be curious how you managed it when others have failed, expecially as I bought two cards as I was under the impression you couldn't copy them!
As far as menus go I like my Lowrance kit but the instructions leave much to be desired.....
Yup, works fine -- when I set the map to use as Navonics (instead of default Lowrance) it all showed up again and I can see my friendly boat ramp once more!!

Whilst I copied the files off the card for backup, the originals were left on the card, untouched. So if I put the copied files on a new mem card, I would presume it wouldn't work... so luckily I didn't do any 'damage' using the Sd card for transferring the software update...

But it scared me, so i'll use a different Sd card for udpates next time!!!
Old 24 December 2009, 17:30   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Navionics are fairly clear about not using the Chart Cards for anything other than charts. I think you got (very) lucky. Reading the damn things in anything other than a Navionics card reader is supposed to damage the chart data. I'd be very interested to learn how you got away with it .

Have a very happy Christmas!
Old 25 December 2009, 21:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Reading the damn things in anything other than a Navionics card reader is supposed to damage the chart data. I'd be very interested to learn how you got away with it .
No idea...

I've read the Sd card in my PC before now too (just to see what was on it)... never any troubles...

But I won't do it again, just to be safe
Old 26 December 2009, 19:42   #11

Town: Oakland CA
As I recall, simply looking at the filenames won't harm anything.

From the Navionics swebsite:

>Can I make a backup copy of my chart?
A: No. Navionics charts are write-protected and are unable to be read if copied onto another chip. Please beware that the attempt of copying a chart could corrupt the original chart file and may cause the card to become useless. For boaters who wish to use two plotters simultaneously, utilizing one chip, please contact the plotter manufacturer directly to inquire about the feasibility of a connection. Pending the result, a second chart purchase may be necessary if you wish to run two units simultaneously. Your dealer may give a better discount with the purchase of two cards.

>When we insert our Navionics MMC chip into our MMC reader or directly into the MMC slot on our PC nothing happens. Our PC then tried to go online to find a program and nothing happened. What's wrong?
A: Please note that Navionics charts are NOT PC compatible in just any card reader and are NOT formatted to be read on a PC (as the files are not PC compatible files). You may corrupt the files on your chart by placing it in a card reader and trying to open it on your PC without the proper software and card reader.

There are card readers and software programs that will read a Navionics chart on a PC.
1. Navionics NavPlanner, http://www.navionics.com/NavPlanner.asp (a Navionics card reader and software package that will allow you to read your current Navionics charts on a PC) $129 US list
2. Raytech RNS software, http://www.raymarine.com/Default.asp...ion=2&page=710 (you will need a Navionics card reader sold separately) to use with Raymarine products.
3. FUGAWI http://www.fugawi.com/web/ (a software package that allows you to use your PC as a GPS system). You may wish to check your chart in your unit to make sure that you have not corrupted the chart and rendered it useless. Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department if you find that you cannot open the chart on your unit.

Hope this helps;

jky
Old 27 December 2009, 19:28   #12

I just put it in my card reader and browsed the files using Windows Explorer...

Maybe Navionics are lying to try and stop copyright!!