Old 26 July 2012, 00:46   #1
Dhf

Length: no boat
Lowrance keeps zooming out

Hi all,
I've got this annoying problem with my Lowrance globalmap 5150c, It's got navionics UK gold sd card inplace. I've chose the Irish Sea area, and all the fine detail is displayed when I zoom in, after confirming current position of course. The problem occurs 10 sec after zooming in, It just zooms back out showing the whole UK, I zoom in it zooms out? grrrrrr!
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 26 July 2012, 08:23   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Not sure what the default map is in that machione, but if you take the Navonics card out, does it do that as well?

I'm thinking along the lines of a sticky "zoom out" button. If it does it with 2 separate maps it might rule out the Navonics card / map as a cause.

Other thought - Lowrance website - check you have the latest level of software. I updated mine and the echo sounder started to behave itself!
Old 26 July 2012, 14:54   #3
Dhf

Not tryed without card yet, I'll try that later. I have used the unit with out the nav card before, and it gives a very basic outline of the full uk.
The unit came with the boat when I bought her, with no software update connectors, and I purchased the sd card just over a year ago, It was working fine the other month staying zoomed in whatever distance, I think I've done something in the menu, when I changed statute miles to NM, and changed range rings and tracking, I just can't get it to stay zoomed in.
I hope its not a sticky button.
many thanks.
Old 26 July 2012, 15:27   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I've had a couple of problems with stuck buttons (LMS-520C). Usually salt or other debris getting between the button and the conductive contact. Power the unit down, dribble a little fresh water over the keypad, and simultaneously (repeatedly) push and twist the buttons for 10 seconds or so. More water, and repeatedly push and release.

Might help; might not.

jky
Old 26 July 2012, 23:04   #5
Dhf

Cheers for the fresh water trick, I'm going to have to try that if all else fails, I'm a bit worried of causing more damage though.
Old 27 July 2012, 15:39   #6

Buttons are sealed. Unit is upposed to be sealed (it is, but is not really robust; the opening that will leak is on the side of the unit anyway.) Not really much risk working with the keypad.

jky
Old 27 July 2012, 19:04   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Daft as it sounds, you've not selected "AutoZoom" or something similar in the menu have you?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2012, 12:56   #8
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Buttons are sealed. Unit is upposed to be sealed (it is, but is not really robust; the opening that will leak is on the side of the unit anyway.) Not really much risk working with the keypad.

jky
Many thanks for your advice jky, I didn't have a clue of the waterproofing qualities to be honest, although I realised it must be slightly resistant as it's taken many splashes over the years, trouble is I didn't get any manual or advice when I purchased with boat. Maybe I should give it a regular fresh water rinse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Daft as it sounds, you've not selected "AutoZoom" or something similar in the menu have you?
That's not a daft question to ask me Dave, sound's just like something I'd do.
However I took the sd card out the other night and give it a blow, and then tryed it out yesterday, after waiting for it to aquire position, It then showed the whole of europe on full screen, I then tryed split screen and zoomed in and hay presto it stayed zoomed to my prefered 1 mile range. I didn't get round to trying full screen again, as I generally only use this when reef fishkin. so I'll try that later.
That's if it still works cus it got a right swamping yesterday, whilst filming around Skomer. And now my Hummin fish finder don't work
Old 28 July 2012, 17:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
trouble is I didn't get any manual or advice when I purchased with boat.

Globalmap 5150C Manual

jky
Old 28 July 2012, 22:22   #10
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Much appreciated jky,
Now I can get the most out of the unit features,
Old 30 July 2012, 10:04   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
with no software update connectors,
No need.

Go to the lowrance website, trawl around 'till you find the "software update" page. Check the latest level is what yours is running. (it's on the menus under "system" or something like that - the website will tell you exactly where to find it on the plotter).

Then find an SD card (the one out your digi camera will work - that's what I used) and run the software update on your PC, which puts the update file on the card.

Then take the card to the plotter, remove the map card, stick the update one in, power up. It auto detects the update file on the card, asks if you want to update or not, you say "yes" and 30s later (when it's finished) power down, pull the card back out & replace the map card. Job done!

....and you can tell it to Auto delete the update file when it's finished so you can put the card straight back into your camera!
Old 30 July 2012, 11:17   #12
Dhf

Excellent many thanks for that info 9D, I'll try that later.