Old 27 October 2014, 16:11   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Lowrance HDS Mapping options??

Hi,

I have a HDS Gen 2 and I wasn't sure what the difference between the standard charts vs aftermarket charts was. I was out at the Channel Islands off the coast of CA and my buddy I was with was pointing me to high spots that he knew but they weren't showing up on the charts and clearly as he was expecting.

Are there other charting options that are more detailed than the stock charts? Lowrance's marketing information is a bit confusing.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 27 October 2014, 17:22   #2

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
If you unit has the latest software there are a number of chart options;

"AutoRouting for Navionics* – Platinum, Navionics+ and Navionics Updates Chart users can automatically create the shortest safe route based on selected start and end points using calculations based upon vessel settings and available chart data
Easy Routing for Jeppesen* – CMAP MAX-N+ users can now automatically create the shortest safe route based on selected start and end points using calculations based upon vessel settings and available chart data – routes are shown in varying green, yellow and red colors to show the safest route, potentially dangerous, and potentially unsafe options, respectively.
Dynamic Tides and Currents for Jeppesen – CMAP MAX-N+ charts now display a graphical representation of current conditions when the chart is zoomed in beyond the 1NM scale. Standard current icons have been replaced by color-coded arrows indicating the direction and speed of the current; selecting an arrow will open the modified currents page for expanded Ebb and Flood.
Chart Selection Menu Update – new selection menu lists available for Navionics, Lowrance, CMAP MAX-N+ and other 3rd party mapping options by name.
*NOTE: HDS units designed for sale in the Americas region will not have Autorouting or Easy Routing capabilities. These features are disabled on all non-Americas units when used in US territorial waters.
"
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 17:54   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Thanks Simon. yes, it's up to date. the issue i I have read that I was hoping for a translation from marketing speak to real life. I am looking for charts that are more detailed. Also I am in the USA so it looks like they disable the cool features here.

Jason
Old 28 October 2014, 15:58   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I find the Navionics charts to be more detailed than the Lowrance basemaps (well, to be fair, they were in the past. Haven't played with my Gen2 enough to know for sure.)

I've never seen the C-Map charts, so can't comment on those.

jky
Old 28 October 2014, 17:15   #5

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Ah, ok, As Jayaski says, Lowrance basemap is low on detail. Navionics is good and there are varying levels of features. I have used gold, reasonably accurate. I've also used C-Map good charts used in a lot of Standard Horizon plotters I think.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 05:04   #6
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
I have the Platinum Plus card in my HDS 7 Gen 2. Much better than the basemaps but honestly not as good as I was expecting. I think turning on the "Fish n Chips" option is best for diving but my screen goes black and white when I do it (I like the color gradient to know where I am at a glance).

BoatsUS had a Navionics promotion a while back and I downloaded their PC app. Maps in there are very similar to the Platinum Plus. You might try that before you spend the $200 on a card. Or, even cheaper, email Navionics customer support and ask for screenshots of a certain area. They did it for me (and proved in one place that their mapping was as horrible as I had heard about on another forum - the La Jolla Canyon off Scripps Institute is missing!).

With that said, still, in my opinion, worth the money.