Old 13 February 2009, 13:49   #1

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Lowrance "echo sounder"

I have not a lot of space on my console and so the whole idea of a fishfinder becomes a bit of a pain to package. (to put this in perspective I have yet to figure out where to put the tacho which is currently sat in an ice cream tub held down by a bit of Bungee....)

So, I tripped over this, which in theory solves a lot of problems: http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...pecifications/ - it will fit a "standard" size small instrument hole, and tell me what I need to know - namely how much water there is or isn't under the boat.

So, anyone used one? if so, what's your thoughts on it? I guess it's too new for anyone to give a long term durability report.....
Old 13 February 2009, 19:57   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
New? They've had something similar (don't know if the model was the same) for quite a while.

Most of the large charter dive boats I've been on had a depth guage as a backup to the fishfinder (one fishing boat had two: one forward and one aft, with the displays viewable from on-deck.)

Don't see that it would be a bad thing, though a picture of the bottom is nice to have on occasion, depending on what you're trying to do.

jky
Old 13 February 2009, 21:18   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
You can also pick up something similiar on ebay that has a small gauge and transducer. I don't think they are that expensive........
Old 21 February 2009, 15:39   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Aghia Marina/Evia
Boat name: Zuben 'Ubi
Make: Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: E-TEC 200 HO
MMSI: Ti Nafto?
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Thomas
These look identical to the electronic gauges I have on my boat. As far as I am aware, these are merely repeaters taking their information for display from the (much larger) GPS Plotter/Fish Finder sitting right next door to them. The whole thing is connected on the NMEA 2000 Network.

Hope this helps.
Old 24 February 2009, 15:39   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thomas View Post
These look identical to the electronic gauges I have on my boat. As far as I am aware, these are merely repeaters taking their information for display from the (much larger) GPS Plotter/Fish Finder sitting right next door to them. The whole thing is connected on the NMEA 2000 Network.
The digital depth guage can be a repeater, or it can be a standalone unit (well, standalone in that you do not need a full-function head unit. You still need a transducer.)

jky