Old 02 May 2005, 16:27   #1

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Lowrance combo units

I want to buy a simple fishfinder/gps combination unit. I like the look of the Lowrance M52i unit or the M56i unit. I am familiar with basic GPS as I've owned a Garmin 126 but have never owned a plotter. What advantage would the M56i give me over the M52I? would I need to buy software specific to my area? how much is the software? The boat is going to be permanently in a marina so I won't be exploring far beyond my local territory ie into unfamilar waters. Cheers
Old 02 May 2005, 16:39   #2

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
I was in this position a few months ago and looked at both of these units at the boat show.

Maybe not what you want to hear but in my view its worth spending the extra money if you can and getting a chart plotter / sounder unit.

The screens and buttons on both these units are fairly small and i would guess difficult to use at any speed. They do however do what they should and a few people on here have them. dont think you need to buy software for them as they have a built in base map rather than a chart software system.

The benefit of a good plotter was rammed home to me third time out with it when we got caught in the fog. The extra few hundred quid pailed into insignificance when i was still able to get home safely when i couldnt see more than 100 yards!