Old 23 October 2019, 23:58   #1

Town: Bradenton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
LiON Battery in a RIB

I am curious to know if anyone has tried using a Lithium Ion Battery in a RIB, or any boat for that matter.

I am in the process of rebuilding my Zodiac Yachtline - I beefed up the hull with some ribs and stringers, more glass, and a host of other improvements (read: I have increased the weight probably by 30-50 lbs).

The present battery weighs in at about 35 lbs - its basically a small car battery. I was thinking about pitching it in favour of a LiON battery that weighs under 5 lbs in an effort to maybe get back to the original weight.

Upon further contemplation, I recall what we used to do with Lithium in Chemistry lab in school, not to mention the well documented mishaps Boeing has had with them on the Dreamliner, laptops spontaneously combusting etc.

SO, the question is....anyone try using a LiON battery in a RIB or boat? If so, please share your thoughts and experiences. Somehow a power source anchored (as it were) around Lithium, when that thing is surrounded by salt water, does not strike me as a great idea.
Old 24 October 2019, 07:44   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster View Post
I am curious to know if anyone has tried using a Lithium Ion Battery in a RIB, or any boat for that matter.

I am in the process of rebuilding my Zodiac Yachtline - I beefed up the hull with some ribs and stringers, more glass, and a host of other improvements (read: I have increased the weight probably by 30-50 lbs).

The present battery weighs in at about 35 lbs - its basically a small car battery. I was thinking about pitching it in favour of a LiON battery that weighs under 5 lbs in an effort to maybe get back to the original weight.

Upon further contemplation, I recall what we used to do with Lithium in Chemistry lab in school, not to mention the well documented mishaps Boeing has had with them on the Dreamliner, laptops spontaneously combusting etc.

SO, the question is....anyone try using a LiON battery in a RIB or boat? If so, please share your thoughts and experiences. Somehow a power source anchored (as it were) around Lithium, when that thing is surrounded by salt water, does not strike me as a great idea.

I’m about to do exactly that. I’ve just bought a SIB (not the driest of boats[emoji15]) & I’m going to use a small Lion battery to power the plotter/sounder. It’s work in progress at the mo, what could possibly go wrong[emoji6]?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 08:02   #3

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Installed in my Scorpion a 100ah LiFePO4 to power all electronics , bilge pumps and a compressor coolbox .
Did not find any negative yet .
Old 24 October 2019, 21:21   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Did not find any negative yet .
Just as every cloud has a Silver Lining, every battery will have a Negative side. Look for black markings or an "-" symbol.

HTH

willk
Old 25 October 2019, 09:24   #5

Boat name: Tempo
Make: Scorpion 8.1 Mk1
Engine: Honda BF225
I was told they performed less during freezing temperatures
Old 25 October 2019, 10:42   #6

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
every battery will have a Negative side. Look for black markings or an "-" symbol.

HTH

willk
For Willk > did not find anything bad yet [emoji12]

Tags
rib