Old 29 December 2008, 19:55   #21

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I seem to remember a battery stall at the boat show last year are they any good they did dry cell batteries
Old 30 December 2008, 09:24   #22

Town: Derry
Make: ASIS (RIB) Boats
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard 300 Suzuki
Hi Lads

If your boat is in storage for the winter it is good to take the battery out of the boat, when you do so drain the battery fully and then recharge fully, when you have done this set it on a bench or a Block of wood and not a concrete floor.
Old 30 December 2008, 09:35   #23

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Doesn't fully draining the battery pretty much end its life there & then ? Dont they need some charge to actually take charge ?

Why not leave it on a concrete floor ? Does it know its sat on wood ?
Old 30 December 2008, 11:18   #24

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Doesn't fully draining the battery pretty much end its life there & then ? Dont they need some charge to actually take charge ?

My understanding of lead acid batteries is that if they are stored for any time with no charge the plates get sulphate on them and yes will end it's life on the spot. There are some hi tech chargers that can recover a battery from this state I believe, however I'm not too sure how effective they are.

Normal car batteries can take a few cycles of being completly dead (must recharge them staight away), but they don't like it too much, that's why you can buy deep cycle batterys for leisure use (motorhomes etc), these don't normally have as high a cranking amps at the car ones. There are quite a few on the market that fall in between these two types. Have good cranking amps and deep cycle too. These are Ideal for the boat.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 14:44   #25

Town: Derry
Make: ASIS (RIB) Boats
Engine: Outboard 300 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post

Hi Blackroady

I received this information from a battery manufacturer!!

When you leave the battery on a concrete floor the energy will get drained from the battery over time.

This method works for me and I have been doing it for a few years but thats not to say its the best or only method.

You can also use a trickle charger (optimate) to keep battery topped up.
http://www.optimate.co.uk/

Dom
Old 30 December 2008, 15:00   #26

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hi Don - I plug all mine in to an optimate over the winter on a weekly rotation to keep them in top shape ( and every so often in the summer as the main boat lives in the water ) .

I'm sure they have a solid explanation, but I'll play safe - probably fidn I need new bateries in Feb !
Old 01 January 2009, 10:55   #27

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My understanding of lead acid batteries is that if they are stored for any time with no charge the plates get sulphate on them and yes will end it's life on the spot. There are some hi tech chargers that can recover a battery from this state I believe, however I'm not too sure how effective they are.

Normal car batteries can take a few cycles of being completly dead (must recharge them staight away), but they don't like it too much, that's why you can buy deep cycle batterys for leisure use (motorhomes etc), these don't normally have as high a cranking amps at the car ones. There are quite a few on the market that fall in between these two types. Have good cranking amps and deep cycle too. These are Ideal for the boat.
That mirrors my experience of batteries in farm machinery, vehicles, bikes, electric fencing energisers etc etc. Leave it flat and it will be fkd very quickly. You can (and people here do) use automotive starter batteries for low current deep cycle applications like electric fence energizers but they don't like it much and don't last long.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2009, 15:03   #28

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
That mirrors my experience of batteries in farm machinery, vehicles, bikes, electric fencing energisers etc etc. Leave it flat and it will be fkd very quickly. You can (and people here do) use automotive starter batteries for low current deep cycle applications like electric fence energizers but they don't like it much and don't last long.
Aye, but I've used deep cycle batteries for longer than I care to remember and I've found them to be little better and they're usually fairly fekked after a couple of seasons.

I also use the same charger as al40 and when it works it's good but number 3 has just died and I'm going to give up on it as a bad job. Look after yours al40, it seems you have a good one.
Old 02 January 2009, 18:30   #29

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOM@NARM View Post
when you have done this set it on a bench or a Block of wood and not a concrete floor.
That's a really old urban legend. Nothing magic about concrete.

http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/Te...n_Concrete.htm

powerstream.com:
Q: Will a battery rapidly self discharge if placed on concrete?
A: No, placing a battery on concrete will not cause it to discharge any faster than any other surface.

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/u...0;t=000695;p=2

jky
Old 30 January 2009, 23:49   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
As a commercial operator

I regard batteries as consumables. I replace the batteries every year, I then deduct that from my pre tax profits.
Old 31 January 2009, 07:43   #31

Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
Six years so far and still the same set of batteries. Engine start batteries and domestics. Regular inspections of the cells top up if necessary, only charged from engine. may be I am lucky.