Old 01 September 2007, 15:35   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Kilise
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 350hp
Ir Video Camera

Does anyone have any experience of compatable IR Video Cameras for Navman 8120 or Raymarine E120 ?
Old 03 September 2007, 20:14   #2

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
I'm not familiar with either the Navman or Raymarine parts you mention, but assuming they have a composite video input, there are a number of options available.

You could try Vector Developments, based in Wool in Dorset who produce the Seamoon TI thermal camera:

http://www.seamoon.co.uk/15801/15882.html

Or FLIR Systems - the cheapest option is (I believe) the Navigator fixed mount:

http://www.eurasia.flir.com/maritime.../navigator.cfm

Cheers

Chris
Old 04 September 2007, 12:16   #3

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Raymarine makes this camera: http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/P...roduct_id=3528
Old 04 September 2007, 15:08   #4

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Billy Whizz II
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: 2 x Suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
You could try Vector Developments, based in Wool in Dorset who produce the Seamoon TI thermal camera:

http://www.seamoon.co.uk/15801/15882.html

Or FLIR Systems - the cheapest option is (I believe) the Navigator fixed mount:

http://www.eurasia.flir.com/maritime.../navigator.cfm

Cheers

Chris

These look like serious toys - the flir web site makes it look like a proper big boy's toy. Probably not much use to those of us who are not picking up coke runners but all the same, we can always convince ourselves that they are an essential night safety aid!

However, does anyone know how much of a bashing these will take? - the vids show them being fitted to big sunseekers etc rather than fast ribs. I had a pan/tilt spot fitted to my A frame in manufacture - it did not make it to the Scillies in a F7! Emergency surgery with wire clippers and insulating tape allowed me to keep the lamp but apart from a heavy weather rounding of Selsey Bill, that was its first serious outing.

Mark
Old 04 September 2007, 19:45   #5

Town: Cork
Boat name: Kilise
Make: Excalibur
Engine: Volvo D6 350hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider View Post

The Raymarine unit retails at €600 which is expensive considering that outdoor all-weather bullet IR cameras can be bought for less than €100.

I would like to know if anybody has any experience of using these cameras on a RIB.
Old 04 September 2007, 22:50   #6

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
The Raymarine unit retails at €600 which is expensive considering that outdoor all-weather bullet IR cameras can be bought for less than €100.

I would like to know if anybody has any experience of using these cameras on a RIB.

I use a Sony EXVIEW High Res CCD on my RIB, Its been there for two years so far and no problems, it works really well at night as well to save having to look behind you and kill your night vision on the a frame lights

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0465.resized_edited.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	29786  
Old 07 September 2007, 09:03   #7

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
you can but a waterproof bullet type ir camera on ebay for about 20 mailed from the far east.
Old 26 September 2007, 14:05   #8

Length: 6m +
cctv and night vision

I picked up your thread on cameras.
We are based in Wareham. and are leaders in night vision for marine applications. I was interested to see that the sony camera has lasted so long without a proper housing. Trouble with zoom cameras is that they need line of sight stabilisation, which can be expensive. The slamming of ribs also seriously effects the sensor response. The sony low light works at about 0.1 lux our seamoon works down to 0.00015 lux ! Ours is filled with dry nitrogen and classed as ip69 down to 10 metres. Casing is marine 316 l stainless and uses mil spec connectors. It is a serious piece of kit, we reckon it needs to be if you are using it a heavy marine environment.
Flir make thermal imagers and do a cheapy that is also used on BMW for about £3000. However it does have its reliability problems and the picture is not very good. The casing is made in china by the thousands and tends to leak in heavy seas.
If you want a video please contact us on Sales@seenite.com, we supply to the RNLI and d UK mod and all those woderfull superyachts.

ps If you can run to a FLIR unit We could get hold of one for you with a small discount.