Old 24 November 2009, 16:22   #1

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
iPhone battery change

What a fecking nightmare if your battery wears out.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gx7pKDLGMTU&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gx7pKDLGMTU&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 16:27   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What a fecking nightmare if your battery wears out.
That will be when, not if!

Having recently done a screen replacement I'd happily dive in again to replace the battery on mine. It's a bit crap but not disasterous - at least the cables all have snap together connectors. Once you've got it sussed it's pretty easy, but the first time is a bit nerve wracking. Not all of the videos show the optimum techniques as I found out to my cost!
Old 24 November 2009, 17:30   #3

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
all the more reason to buy ell cheapo phones. Don't matter if they get fried wear out etc as at £30 each you can buy 10 for each iphone you want.

Ian
Old 24 November 2009, 17:33   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
That will be when, not if!

Having recently done a screen replacement I'd happily dive in again to replace the battery on mine. It's a bit crap but not disasterous - at least the cables all have snap together connectors. Once you've got it sussed it's pretty easy, but the first time is a bit nerve wracking. Not all of the videos show the optimum techniques as I found out to my cost!
John I have to shred 900 of these for acompany that wants them securely destroyed however the batteries can explode when fed into the shredder so we have to remove them, how would you recommend removing the battery quickly?

Would a vice crack them open or would you need to unscrew them to get the battery out easily?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 17:33   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
all the more reason to buy ell cheapo phones. Don't matter if they get fried wear out etc as at £30 each you can buy 10 for each iphone you want.

Ian
Think you're missing out on the boys and toys thing
Old 10 December 2009, 09:01   #6

Town: Ryde
Length: 10m +
I gather these changes are result of "out of Warranty" Iphones.... I plunged my Ipod Touch into the sea (while in my pocket) in the Summer and after giving it a second swim in fresh water I was hopeful It would come back to life like many of my Nokia's had done so in the past.

I spoke to Apple and they offered me two options:

A: We assess the damage and offer you a replacement (£82 against £180 at the time)
or
B: If you try and fix it yourself we will offer you nothing. ahh option A.

I can fully appreciate the frustration of getting apart the iphone, I am doing stuff with laptops and other electronics all of the time but on this occasion I really needed the Itouch back quick (Ipod Touch if were being PC)

As to Leapy's comment I cant agree more if you just want a phone, but the Iphone/touch is so much more than just a phone. I have applications that mean I dont need to buy a newspaper such as the FT, NYTimes, sky News, 100 push ups for my daily fitness at work effort. As our business is online we can monitor sales on eBay and Amazon. In short it is like a PC in a pocket. Brilliant but a disaster when it dies.

Thanks James
FREE Worldwide Shipping
Scottsoflangholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2009, 09:23   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Get phone insurance. If the batt goes, drop the phone in some water and claim on the insurance saying it's water damaged. I claimed for a new one a few weeks ago (genuine RIB related water damage) and they sent a new one, even let me keep the old one (which I got £93 on ebay for - for a broken Iphone?!)
Old 19 December 2009, 09:31   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
John I have to shred 900 of these for acompany that wants them securely destroyed however the batteries can explode when fed into the shredder so we have to remove them, how would you recommend removing the battery quickly?

Would a vice crack them open or would you need to unscrew them to get the battery out easily?
Is shredding them the only way to do this? Can't they be recycled somehow?