Old 29 July 2015, 19:32   #11

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
I have a Garmin plotter on my boat, but the display is small and I hate the Garmin charts. I had an old Nexus 7 so I bought a rubber buffer type case, and some big Velcro. I now velcro the Nexus in the dash and power it of the socket on the boat. The Navionics software is great, although touch screens at speed are not easy to use! It is not full waterproof, but being behind a windscreen the worst of the water is kept off. And in any case a Nexus 7 is cheaper than an iPad. Attachment 107532
Ahhhh, very nice indeed. And yes, good HD velcro does take a lot of punishment. Used it for some exterior stuff before with great success. Hadnt even thought of its use for the boat. Thanks for reminding me about that stuff!!!

See thats my one issue...I have a general hate of small screens crammed with lots of info. I just find it 'difficult' and the prices get pretty serious for plotters/finders with bigger screens.

Yes, there is no solution for the awkwardness of a touchscreen when wet/at speed etc.

But how do you find it to use apart from that? Does it do a good job at whats its supposed to?

Yes, definitely many cheaper and seemingly great tablets out there. I think I was just saying IPAD as thats all people talk about online!

I'm not looking to cross the Atlantic etc. I just want to add some navigational equipment with good, accurate fish finder technology to my small rib, without having to take out a second mortgage!

Old 29 July 2015, 19:56   #12

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
the RAYMARINE WI FISH looks the business, never seen it before.

salt corrosion is too kind a death for an ipad, if they catch on with serious sales then apple will be charging you a berthing fee for putting it on your dash! whole new meaning to a docking fees...geddit!!! haha

you kind of have redundancy with this system, that is assuming they allow you to put it on multiple devices you own. i would buy a nexus 7 refurb for 60 quid or so (google it) and if the nexus 7 packs in use your phone to get you back (assuming android ofcourse). that is more redundancy than most people have so i would be comfortable with that for local days out. i wouldn't go further than i know with this type of thing, too many unknowns from a reliability standpoint.

it won't be "cheap" to do this though-

tablet 65
Case 20
charger 10 for a decent one
wi-fish 150
navionics 25 for the non HD version.

budget on 275 i'd suggest with postage etc.

you are right up there with buying a dedicated unit, won't be as feature rich granted.

cheers

Old 29 July 2015, 21:00   #13

if i was spending 300 or so on a setup i'd be looking at something like this-

Lowrance Elite-5 HDI Combo with 83/200 455/800 kHz transducer

cheers
Old 29 July 2015, 22:07   #14

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
if i was spending 300 or so on a setup i'd be looking at something like this-

Lowrance Elite-5 HDI Combo with 83/200 455/800 kHz transducer

cheers
The thing is you then have a one trick pony, with the pad route you are also getting the use of the pad every day, nav in the car/bike, music player, blue tooth connectivity to a helmet if you like, etc. So as far as value for money goes the pad route is much more versatile.
Old 29 July 2015, 22:44   #15

Indeed, but it is a reliable and tested pony in our environment....is that reason enough to buy it...only the op can decide.

Cheers
Old 30 July 2015, 00:49   #16

Town: Cardigan
Boat name: Bay Explorer/Pioneer
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x ETEC 200hp
Hi,

My only comment is that from experience touch screens don't work well at all when wet. We have iPhones with lifeproof cases and also a Panasonic tough pad which we use onboard, but if it's raining forget it.

Regards,

Tony

www.baytoremember.co.uk
Tony Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 01:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barber View Post
Hi,

My only comment is that from experience touch screens don't work well at all when wet. We have iPhones with lifeproof cases and also a Panasonic tough pad which we use onboard, but if it's raining forget it.

Regards,

Tony
True but same is true for some normal plotters.
Old 30 July 2015, 01:27   #18

I find it interesting that there are opinions based purely on speculation and "I think" rather than "Ive tried".
Old 30 July 2015, 05:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
I find it interesting that there are opinions based purely on speculation and "I think" rather than "Ive tried".
since no one has yet tried sonar on here via a pad, if this thread was "I've tried" there would be zero replies!

Cheers
Old 30 July 2015, 05:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
since no one has yet tried sonar on here via a pad, if this thread was "I've tried" there would be zero replies!

Cheers
Erm i think you find:

A) I said that eariler

B) Some of the post saying no to the use of the Ipad as a plotter and its inherent suitability for use on a boat are made from the point of NO experience and just supposition.

c) your sample price earlier had no charts (I think you'll find charts cheaper for the Ipad than the full chart plotters)

I Use an Ipad as a plotter/GPS everyday on the bike and every time out on the boat, just a harsh an environment as a boat.

So from practical Hand on experience.

Does it work?
YES

Can it be charged from within the case?
YES

Is it waterproof?
YES

Is it robust enough?
35000 miles on a bike in all weathers all year long and 2 years on a boat tough enough?

Are the charts ok?
Navionics are the same, Isailor are great and TimeZero is very swish. Only the Navionics ties into the sonar (from what i can see) but Im sure that will change over time.

Do you need a sim card?
no, but for ipads you need the ability to have one or have a separate gps unit. Other tablets some have gps in built some dont. However if you do have a 3g coverage, Isailor has internet base AIS (others only) which means at least you can see them, better than nothing.

Touch screen can be not 100% in rain and spray but that true for much more expensive dedicated plotters too.

As to cost, I already had an Ipad, so cost to me was 120 for case, lead and mount, then software, 40 ish for chosen map.

I will (as soon as my spine heals) get and try the Sonar unit and let you all know.

If anyone else has real world experience of Tablets as GPS/Plotters I would love to hear your thoughts.