Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi PeterM

does that not depend on the engine! i.e. why steel an old 2 stroke when you can use a saw and get a nice new big 4 stroke?
Quick and easy to do with less chance of being caught.

Probably easier to sell on a 10 year old 90hp 2 stroke for 1895 than a 2 year old Yam 200 4 stroke for 8k?

Thieves are lazy and pick the easy fruit.

Old 15 March 2012, 16:48   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi PeterM

does that not depend on the engine! i.e. why steel an old 2 stroke when you can use a saw and get a nice new big 4 stroke?
A fair question , but most big new 4 strokes have all sorts of fancy gadgetry that will show they are nicked or make them trackable...I think the verados for one? And the risk of capture is far more if making noise in the night.

There was a very nice ribcraft a few years ago near me where they cut the boat off its pontoon, removed seating and consoles, cut the lock off , removed a 250 4s suzuki while the boat was floating in 1 foot of water !

If they want it they will get it - just make it as difficult and noisy as possible !

Old 16 March 2012, 12:16   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dave, the same principle applies to all locks... cars were very easy to nick until about 20 yrs ago - and being locked just made it inconvenient, the bikes in your garden are easily nicked too even if locked, but you need to go slightly more tooled up, be prepared to make a bit more noise and take a bit longer. Its not unreasonable for the insurer to expect you to do more than just bolt several thousand pounds on the back of a boat and leave it. I also don't think it is unreasonable for them to expect you to know that such requirements are likely to exist and check them in the policy (just as a bike or motorbike owner might check to see if a bike needs to be locked, or locked with a specific type/standard or lock). The question might be why, when it is essentially an industry wide requirement, are all new outboards not simply supplied with locking bolts (as per car wheelnuts). [I believe some manufacturers (or perhaps it is specific dealers?) may already do this].
Old 22 March 2012, 01:55   #14

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Off the back of this thread I rang my broker - Porthcawl - yesterday. They said that for a boat left on a trailer anywhere, secure or unsecure, I should fit a wheel clamp, locking wheel nuts and a hitch lock, together with an outboard lock. This I knew. They also stated - and this I didn't know - I should have a photo of them fitted This is a one-off photo and doesn't need to be re-taken every time the boat is recovered onto the trailer.

I think I'd be pi$$ed if I had to re-photo every time I recovered the boat but nevertheless this photo requirement - whilst understandable to a degree - does seem slightly flawed

Receipts were considered a 'nice to have' and not an 'essential'.

As Porthcawl are a major marine broker I assume this must be the norm.

Be aware
Old 22 March 2012, 03:29   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
I should have a photo of them fitted
My broker advised this too. Although not a requirement of the policy, he said that in the event of a claim it would just make life easier. FWIW my boat came fitted with outboard locking nuts from new. I think that insurance approved ones are about 40 quidish, in the big scheme of things, bu99er all. My work van has to have, deadlocks, tracker, toolvault-- it's just the way things are, especially when you've got roaming gangs of foreigners scouring the country for easy targets
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 03:57   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Locking wheel nuts waste of time
Old 22 March 2012, 05:22   #17
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
I think I'd be pi$$ed if I had to re-photo every time I recovered the boat but nevertheless this photo requirement - whilst understandable to a degree - does seem slightly flawed
I often use my phone's camera to record small details and scenes for later reference. Good for recording machine parts, signage, removal stages of parts etc. No reason why a quick snap of a boat would be a big issue, after all, how many times a year do we actually move them?
Old 22 March 2012, 05:56   #18

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
As Willk said - a quick snap is easy to do.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that when it comes to making a claim your 'job' is to make is simple as possible for insurers to say ' yes - we will pay it' , and try to actually talk & meet with anyone if you can and think of them as your best mate for the day. Try and help them and they really will so you OK .

I made a claim form Porthcawl for a tender a few years ago and the photo of it showing it was marked with the name of the boat proved I had complied with thier requirements.

The easier you make it the quicker and less fuss it will be if you need to claim.
Old 22 March 2012, 07:08   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Well I just went to renew mine and found that personal items do not include, camera's phones, laptops, Tablet PC,'s any form of music player, wallets i.e only clothes.

mmmm not happy
Old 22 March 2012, 07:13   #20

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I often use my phone's camera to record small details and scenes for later reference. Good for recording machine parts, signage, removal stages of parts etc. No reason why a quick snap of a boat would be a big issue, after all, how many times a year do we actually move them?
W...Yes, I use the phone camera all the time to record things as you point out. Such as this, I most often use and delete. Pictures taken in case of crime now or in the future, presumably, I'll have to store and back up.

I don't know how many times "we" move our boats, but I move mine a lot over a year of home based fettling and holidays, and, having taken the shots this morning it turns out I need to take three to cover outboard lock, wheel clamp, wheel nuts and hitch lock. PITA.

Took a photo of my deadlocked car, ground anchored garden tractor, cable locked push bikes, the locked house front and back doors, the fact that the house and garage alarms were set etc etc etc - before I went out on the obligatory bacon butty run - whilst I was at it

Is this how it's going to become?