Old 22 November 2006, 15:52   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Talking of twin batteries I undertsnad they are required for MCA coding - but do they actually specify the size? I have a huger battery box - can I just stick 2 smaller batteries in there???

Old 22 November 2006, 16:14   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by al40 View Post
What you cannot and must not do is turn off both batteries (even momentarily) whilst engine is running... The alternator produces rectified DC but it's a nasty waveform that the battery supresses.
Very true.

Be aware, however, that some engines have a spare wire in the harness for a "field disconnect", which essentially kills the alternator output while active. Marrying that with an appropriate battery switch will allow you to turn both batteries off while the motor is running (but not for long; no DC output, no power for the motor.) Intended, I believe, for switching through settings (i.e. from "1" through "off" to "2" for example.

I believe my F115 lacks this, but many motors do incorporate it. Would be a good thing to utilize, even if your switch is configured to avoid it, just in case some curious passenger decides to play.

jky

Old 22 November 2006, 17:59   #13

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Very true.

Be aware, however, that some engines have a spare wire in the harness for a "field disconnect", which essentially kills the alternator output while active. Marrying that with an appropriate battery switch will allow you to turn both batteries off while the motor is running (but not for long; no DC output, no power for the motor.) Intended, I believe, for switching through settings (i.e. from "1" through "off" to "2" for example.

jky
Interesting! I assume that's where the regulator will be connected. I guess that some engines will disable the alternator via field coils when starter is spinning to reduce engine load. I just know if I connected a switch to that wire I'd forget to re-enable it sooner or later :-(