Old 12 January 2014, 22:35   #1

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
iNavX

hi
i have searched for info on this app on site and not much found. my partner has just got her iphone upgrade model and she has give me her old iphone, i have heard about this app not long ago after going over some rocks in budliegh salterton and some chap telling me about it.I dont have any nav equipment on my boat, so rather than spending on charts when i go to other areas it this be a good option?
Old 13 January 2014, 06:03   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
never heard if this app, but I've used the Garmin Bluechart App, just to see if it's any good as a backup, and that works great
Old 13 January 2014, 06:52   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yes it's on App Store £34. According to only does USA waters but there maybe a U.K. version

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 07:20   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I have the Navionics App on my iPhone as backup should my plotter fail, great app albeit pricey.

If you do go down the app route make sure you have a way of charging your phone on board, they are power hungry apps.
Old 13 January 2014, 07:25   #5

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I have the Navionics App on my iPhone as backup should my plotter fail, great app albeit pricey.

If you do go down the app route make sure you have a way of charging your phone on board, they are power hungry apps.
I agree, they will flatten the iPhone battery in a day no problem if you leave it running
Old 13 January 2014, 07:32   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
I dont have any nav equipment on my boat,

Quote:
so rather than spending on charts when i go to other areas it this be a good option?

Apps may be useful tools - but given the compatibility of anything from apple with sea water, and the fact the designers were more interested in looks than battery life I think you need to have a robust alternative.
Old 13 January 2014, 07:34   #7

Length: 3m +
I've yet to see a waterproof case that lets you use the device and charge it -- anyone?
Old 13 January 2014, 08:00   #8

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
yes i have read somewhere they can drain your batteries fast, but that's is if your using the live plotter or your using for your route ( something like that ) was just thinking about charts and sometimes just to check my depth and for rocks. all uk charts can be got from another app i think
Old 13 January 2014, 08:06   #9

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Never used iNavx but the Navionics app is really good, I have both the iOS version on an iPad and the Android version on my phone. The iPad is great for planning trips beforehand at home if it is not convenient to get out your paper charts, and the phone app is nice to have as a backup system onboard, and for checking tidal streams and heights if your plans change.

However the battery life and lack of robustness near saltwater makes a phone or tablet useless on a rib in my opinion, so my phone stays in my dry bag when onboard only coming out briefly to take the occasion photo. I have a basic handheld GPS into which I load any relevant waypoints before I start my trip, and that gives me my speed over ground, heading, distance travelled, and lat / long. I also take a hand bearing compass and notebook with some transits and clearing bearing worked out for my trip so I can navigate if the handheld GPS packs up.

Apps are a great tool, but not when under way in an open boat at planning speeds.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 08:11   #10

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
Never used iNavx but the Navionics app is really good, I have both the iOS version on an iPad and the Android version on my phone. The iPad is great for planning trips beforehand at home if it is not convenient to get out your paper charts, and the phone app is nice to have as a backup system onboard, and for checking tidal streams and heights if your plans change.

However the battery life and lack of robustness near saltwater makes a phone or tablet useless on a rib in my opinion, so my phone stays in my dry bag when onboard only coming out briefly to take the occasion photo. I have a basic handheld GPS into which I load any relevant waypoints before I start my trip, and that gives me my speed over ground, heading, distance travelled, and lat / long. I also take a hand bearing compass and notebook with some transits and clearing bearing worked out for my trip so I can navigate if the handheld GPS packs up.

Apps are a great tool, but not when under way in an open boat at planning speeds.
Plus one!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote