Old 08 June 2010, 17:01   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Icom IC-M421 is no more

Just as I had settled on a black IC-M421 as the selected VHF for the new boat they appear to have stopped making them in black... bah.

I don't want a white 421 (the other option - would look pooey on a white console) and I don't really want a 411 (doesn't display lat long position etc) and I don't want a 505/603 or above (too expensive).

What is the nearest equivalent to the IC-M421 from other manufacturers? It needs to be black, flush-mountable into the panel, it needs to have a display similar to the dot-matrix on the 421 which can show GPS position etc. Preferably with the microphone cord coming out the right hand side of the radio panel (Lowrance appears to take the cord out the left hand side but that won't suit my proposed instrument layout very well).

Thanks...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2010, 17:13   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Plenty of companies still listing them in black - I'm sure a few phone calls would find you one.
Old 08 June 2010, 21:22   #3

Thanks - but unfortunately I'm not buying direct, Roy at Osprey is sourcing and fitting it, and it was him who said that it has been discontinued. Apparently his Icom supplier now says if you want a black one it has been "superceded" by the ICM411 - I have seen that written on some websites as well - but the 411 is a more basic DSC set with a different display on it so I don't know why Icom are pretending it is the same set because it isn't! Seems odd that they still make it in white when almost every VHF I have ever seen is black... ho hum.

Anyway I asked Roy to double check and await a reply - hopefully one will turn up from stock somewhere.

Old 08 June 2010, 22:28   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Have you seen the new vhf 300 from garmin? Has a remote black box so just a handset on the console, saves a lot of space. Also will plug straight into your 551 plotter via nmea 2000 for dsc compatibility. And you can add the AIS receiver at a later date if desired although I don't know if the 551 has the extra ais features like dsc calling a target etc.

I've always been a huge Icom fan but the trouble I've had trying to get them to talk with other bits of kit via nmea 0183 and fiddling with silly little wires and soldering shields etc I think I'm going to swap mine for the Garmin vhf to go with my 5012 touchscreen.
Old 08 June 2010, 23:56   #5

Looks nice but a lot more than I was looking to spend on the VHF

The Standard Horizon GX1500 is the most likely option of the ones I have seen so far - but the mic lead comes out on the wrong side (as does almost everything else except the other Icoms) and will clash with the steering position unless I swap everything around (again).