Closed Thread

Old 05 August 2008, 19:06   #1
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Icom IC-M31 got water damaged - Where do I stand?? Contact Icom?

Bought an Icom M31 handheld VHF on eBay not so long ago. Got the box, charger, manual etc. etc. everything that should have come with it.

I bought it because it's supposed to be waterproof up to 1m for 30 mins. Working fine, no problems so I go out in the Thundercat on the sea on Saturday. It was windy and a nice swell. We got soaked, water splashing in over the bow and having great fun.

I go to use the VHF and it's dead. I thought it was strange that the battery had gone dead so soon but didn't think much of it. I came home later that evening and took out the battery, and it was soaked. All inside the VHF was wet

I left it dry out until today (3 days) in the hot press and tried to fire it up - nothing, it's a gonner.

My question is, should I contact Icom? This VHF did not fulfill it's purpose and was definately NOT waterproof. All the seals look good, I can see that the water got in from the battery seal, but it wasn't damaged and I always make sure that the battery is locked in before leaving the house. I don't know if it's still under warranty as I don't know exactly how old it is, but surely it's supposed to be WATERPROOF for life, and not just for the warranty period? I wouldn't mind if it had fallen in the water, but it was strapped to my Bouyancy Aid for the whole evening.

Do you think I should get a replacement from Icom? As it clearly was NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. I'm damn annoyed
Old 05 August 2008, 20:56   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
yes if its faulty you should get a new one , send it back
Old 06 August 2008, 00:18   #3

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
You don't say if the radio was new or secondhand when you bought it. If it's secondhand, I'd take it up with the seller.

I doubt the waterproofness is guaranteed for life. If the radio was registered with ICOM and it's less than 3 years old, then you may be able to get it repaired under warranty. For consumer goods out of warranty, you have to demostrate that the fault was there from manufacture, not from any subsequent use (or misuse).
Old 06 August 2008, 07:06   #4

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Do you think I should get a replacement from Icom? As it clearly was NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. I'm damn annoyed
I would definitely contact Icom as the are nice chaps, they may not replace it but they should know that it failed. Maybe they will ask you to send it in for a post mortem.

Now that you are in the market for a proper waterproof handheld, may I suggest a Standard Horizon HX270? You will not be disappointed a second time!
Old 06 August 2008, 17:02   #5
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
I would definitely contact Icom as the are nice chaps, they may not replace it but they should know that it failed. Maybe they will ask you to send it in for a post mortem.

Now that you are in the market for a proper waterproof handheld, may I suggest a Standard Horizon HX270? You will not be disappointed a second time!
I'm going to post it to Icom with a letter asking can they find out why it failed and expressing my disappointment that it failed I'll mention that I explained on a few internet forums (which I have) what had happened the VHF and that people recommended I contact them... Will hopefuly get it off in the post tomorrow
Old 06 August 2008, 21:30   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
You don't say if the radio was new or secondhand when you bought it. If it's secondhand, I'd take it up with the seller.
Was it sealed in the manufacturers packaging? If not your problem is with the seller not ICOM. Use Ebay and you takes your chances. Best of luck.
Old 07 August 2008, 05:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Use Ebay and you takes your chances. Best of luck.
That is certainly true, but I still suspect that the chaps at Icom would rather know. As an example, there is a slight chance that it might not be genuine.
Old 07 August 2008, 15:17   #8
alt

I've a letter written which will be posted (with teh VHF) tomorrow.

It's a genuine unit alright - Receipt / Warranty Card / Box (Meaningless possibly I know) etc. came with it - I didn't buy it from a dodgy Hong Kong seller, I bought it from a guy in the UK who used it as a spare (As did I and it worked perfect until it got splashed)
Old 09 August 2008, 20:44   #9

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
I have one bought direct from dealer and and icom are a PIECE OF SHIT.
The unit went faulty 10 months after purchase and Icom did not want to know as I didn't register it in time. They charged me as I hadn't registered and ever since the squelch hasn't worked. I will NEVER buy an Icom or associated product again as their after sales is not worth a piece of wet cardboard.

I know I am biased BUT since Icom don't think their customers are worth looking after why should I give them my hard earned cash. I originally went with them because they had a good rep but will never give them another penny. I will buy something else relaible next tme.

Unfortunatley your problem sounds exactly like mine was. My advice is to ditch it and go with a manufacturer who supports their customers.

Rant over.

Ian
Old 11 August 2008, 12:08   #10
alt

Hi Ian,
I have posted this query on 3 Internet forums (2 UK ones, 1 Irish). In my letter to ICOM I have linked to these forums and have informed them that I, and hundreds of other boat users are eagerly waiting their resopnse

I didn't demand anything, just a polite letter asking if they could 'investigate' why my VHF took in water (looks like a bad battery seal). I had nothing to lose by posting the item to them as it's dead anyhow.

If they don't reply ot reply with a 'too bad' then i'm not going to cry over it, but LOTS of people will know how I was treated, and as you say, it would put me off buying any Icom products in the future
Old 11 August 2008, 17:36   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I bought it from a guy in the UK who used it as a spare
so it was a 2nd hand purchase on ebay from a private buyer - you have very little official recourse.

even if it had been bought new from a shop (or online/ebay) your recourse is to the seller not to the manufacturer.

Although that is not to say the Icom will not as a gesture of good will offer to fix the problem. If it is any consequence my brother went through 2 of these with water leak problems!
Old 12 August 2008, 12:14   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
There is some provision that if a product is faulty from new then no matter haow long has elapsed it has to be put right. I remember hearing about Ford fixing someone's car about 10 years later because of a known fault.
Old 14 August 2008, 08:14   #13
alt

I just got a repair estimate from Icom of £45. I don't think i'll be buying any ICOM products ever again considering they want to charge me for a manufacturing defect - I don't even know if they have brought it up to the spec that it's supposed to be at (ie. waterproof) - I have replied to their e-mail asking how long they are going to guarantee the work for
Old 14 August 2008, 08:47   #14

Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Thats poor service in my book, second user or not.

If its stipulates waterproof and it leaks then is faulty or miss represented.

Just added ICOM to my sh1t list. Will not buy another.
Old 14 August 2008, 08:52   #15
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster21 View Post
Thats poor service in my book, second user or not.

If its stipulates waterproof and it leaks then is faulty or miss represented.

Just added ICOM to my sh1t list. Will not buy another.
I'm going to ring them tomorrow and ask to speak to a manager, in fairness the Service guy is only doing as he's told.

I'm going to tell them that if they insist on charging me that they can keep the dud product, but it will cost them a lot more in the logn run because i'll never buy an Icom product in the future, and with almost 450views of this thread, and over 600 views on another forum, I think the long run effect will cost them more.

I'm not saying that everyone in the world will stop byuing Icom products, but at least some people will be aware of the customer service... or lack of in this case
Old 14 August 2008, 12:36   #16

Quote:
I just got a repair estimate from Icom of £45.
I am not so sure that a 45 quid charge is so unfair?
Old 14 August 2008, 12:37   #17

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
perhaps thats why it was on e bay in the first place eh.
for what its worth my coastguard issue Icom M1euroV has been my personal issue set for several years and previous to that was a communal station set. It has been dropped/banged/submerged/ covered in mud/ washed under the hosepipe and generally used in some 'orrible weather. Never been a problem. It had new Li batteries issued a year ago but the old Nicad ones were still good. Even before that the battery life was good compared to some units we have on the boats. The only point to watch with it has been to ensure the rotary knobs for squelch and volume don't get crusted up with salt cos they can seize up.
Old 14 August 2008, 13:33   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
alt - think you are being a little unrealistic - it doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. You bought it second hand. why should Icom fix it at their expense?

NEIL
Old 14 August 2008, 13:35   #19

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Perfectly happy with mine

I'm perfectly happy with my icom (s), and lots of previous posts share that view.

I've been quite uneasy reading this thread - the problem has been raised on several sites, and threats of "exposure" made before icom are given a chance to respond.

Sure - find out if its a common problem, sure tell us if you get bad service, but geeze, give them a chance first.
Old 14 August 2008, 14:13   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
I just got a repair estimate from Icom of £45. I don't think i'll be buying any ICOM products ever again considering they want to charge me for a manufacturing defect - I don't even know if they have brought it up to the spec that it's supposed to be at (ie. waterproof) - I have replied to their e-mail asking how long they are going to guarantee the work for
What is the fault? It could be the past owner opened the casing or dropped it or similar or even that it was exposed to some chemical that may have damaged the seals.