Old 14 May 2012, 10:56   #11

Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
...check for power, try jumping 12V into the nearest exposed conductor for the 12V input (either a connector on the unit back, or a pigtail cable coming out.) If that doesn't do it, it's likely toast.

jky
I connected it to a good battery direct to teh powerleads at the back of the unit -as clsoe to the sealed entry gasket as possible. Also ensured battery voltage remained above 12 when I switched it on. It's drawing about 0.11Amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Are there any internal batteies in your radio? Like ones that dont recharge-stud type batteries for example.
No internal batteries AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Sounds like a fault has developed in the radio. Probably mainly coincidence that it's happened after being left switched on, but could be a component on the power circuit was ready to fail. Sadly icom aren't as good as garmin with repairs. Especially as they charge just to take look at it which is 25% the cost of a new radio these days.
To be fair ICOM UK offered to look at it and quote a price to repair, but no Irish ICOM repair centre makes a speculative return cost prohibitive. So unless I find a local independent repairer to look at it as jky says "it's toast".

I've bought three new fixed mount ICOMs over the last 10 years or so - under an illusion they were worth the premium over Uniden, Cobra, Standard Horizon etc. I think I'm cured -the replacement won't be an ICOM

Old 14 May 2012, 13:07   #12

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Internal "batteries" don't always look like batteries as sometimes capacitors are used instead. Have a look at Maplin's Website capacitors : Maplin Electronics to se what some of them look like.

The new capacitor I got for my stereo didn't look like any of these it was just a small round silver cylinder. My stereo keep losing its presets.

Old 14 May 2012, 13:49   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid

I've bought three new fixed mount ICOMs over the last 10 years or so - under an illusion they were worth the premium over Uniden, Cobra, Standard Horizon etc. I think I'm cured -the replacement won't be an ICOM
I'd always kidded myself Icom were the best choice but I've now gone Garmin after my 505 started playing up. Added to the fact they don't have N2K either. SH look promising as an alternative too.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 14:04   #14

Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Just to conclude this thread, got my radio back after a five week wait. It needed a new front panel - something about the processor.
A borderline economical fix! Now off to shoehorn it back in...