Old 28 March 2005, 16:31   #1

Town: somerset + scotland
Boat name: Clue:- It's White!
Make: Novamarine
Length: 6m +
Engine: weisel jet!!
Icom 501 with ds 100 dsc controller

We have recently installed the ds100 dsc controller to our existing icom 501 and are having trouble getting it to work. we have made all the connections including the gps connection and cannot get a position. On trying to input our mmsi number we cannot find where to enter it and this is not explained in the manual. Can anyone help please.
Jus
Old 28 March 2005, 22:34   #2

Length: 9m +
As far as getting a position is concerned: Ensure that your GPS is set to transmit NMEA out, and that it is transmitting the required NMEA sentences. This will be in a place like the "Communications" menu depending on the brand of GPS.

Once you have done that a 'crude" check is to connect a multimeter to the NMEA out wire and the common ground from the GPS and check to see whether you get a reversing polarity signal on that line. Depending on the GPS it will be in the range of +5 to -5 and rapidly reversing. It's easiest to see with an analogue meter but a digital will do.

As for the MMSI number ICOM will have to tell you that. In the ICOM M502 unit it is in the setup menu from memory. To enter this menu on the M502 you turn the unit off and while holding the DSC/ENT button you turn to power on. Don't know whether that is relevant in this case.

Page 3 of this manual covers entry of an MMSI for the DS100

http://www.busse-yachtshop.de/pdf/icom-DS-100-02.pdf

Best of luck.

Mike
Old 29 March 2005, 14:42   #3

Town: somerset + scotland
Boat name: Clue:- It's White!
Make: Novamarine
Engine: weisel jet!!
Thanks for that we will give it a go,
Old 29 March 2005, 18:49   #4

Town: warrington cheshire
Boat name: crusoe
Make: zodiac-medline2
Engine: suzuki 115
MMSI: 235009733
dsc

I had the same problem with mine. Icom needed to download some soft-ware to the unit sadly I only found this out after installation. Icom offered to do this but it would have meant un- installing the units. Kindly they gave me the name of Anglesey Communications he came to the rib with a lap top did the down load and only charged a few pounds His email angcom@mcmail.com
Hope this solves your frustration the one good thing I found out after putting in my mmsi no 2 million times I could remember it John.