Old 15 December 2004, 23:16   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Humminbird?

Went into West Marine today with the intention of buying a Lowrance fishfinder/GPS combo.(About $400.00)
I had liked the sound of the Lowrance M68C which seemed a good colour entry level combo.However I was dissapointed with the relativly dim small screen and limited base mapping.
I was then recommended to check out the Humminbird system ;in particular the Matrix 97. Although at twice the price of the Lowrance unit ;the benefits really stood out.
With a large vivid/bright colour screen ,great map detail and many added features ,it seems quite a deal.
One new feature I especially liked ,was an "almost 3D view".(Not sure what it is called ,)but shows a boat Icon looking out to the horizon with direction info:etc and the mapping laid out in front.So as you go,you can see whats around you (almost like an video game.)
I always thought of Humminbird as a low price /quality company; but the product seemed pretty impressive. This is a fairly new model but wondered if anyone has had practical experience on this or any of the other products from this company.
http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=381#Features

cheers Dal
Old 16 December 2004, 07:15   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Dal

I've had a Humminbird NS-25 the fore runner to the matrix on my boat for about a year now, it all worked fine until i damaged it on the beach (which was my fault not the sets)

My remit was a set that was simple to use
100% waterproof (which hummingbird are)
and small enough to fit on a single pod consoul

The NS-25 fulfilled all my requirments superbly and never let me down until the day i wrecked it.

I'd consider buying another Humminbird but will most probably go for a Garmin next for no other reason than you seem to be able to shop around in the uk and get better deals on Garmin, everyone sells them and i've been looking at buying in the US and having it shipped, which makes it even cheaper.

Hope this helps

Richard
Old 16 December 2004, 08:17   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
You lucky lucky.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
Went into West Marine today
.............chap. I bloody love W.M, it has to be the best one stop shop for anything and everything nautical. Whislt visiting my brother in Ft Lauderdale the other month, I spent more time in there than I did on the beach. Mecca
Old 16 December 2004, 14:55   #4

Me Me,
yes, I spend way too much time in W.M.!!!!
Luckily the one here in San Diego was remodelled this year and I think it's the largest one in the states. They have 2 full shops and one "quick basics" outlets(on one of the launch ramps) here.
Also I used to work with the operations manager there;so he's always letting me know about any good deals and specials going on.
He spent about an hour with me yesterday going over all the Fishfinder /.GPS units yesterday and knows his stuff.
He was surprised when I mentioned that the UK is hitting you guys for import duties ,as he says they still sell quite a bit to the UK.
Their colour catalog (or Bible)is a great restroom read!! A must have for all water sports!!
cheers Dal
Old 16 December 2004, 15:34   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I've spent many......

.........a restfull hour in the rest room with my "Bible". I've also spent many hundreds of £$£$ with W.M via their very efficient postal service. Fingers Crossed - I've had no problems with the customs boys thus far.
Old 07 January 2005, 22:13   #6

New Humminbird models.

Seems humminbird are cashing in on the success of their last years models with the launch of a new range this Feb.
Seems the smaller units are now available in color and with the"3D" mapping features. Must admit to liking this view, as a beginner with GPS,it makes things very easy. (example below)
Think the 595C fish/mapping color combo is due to sell for around $600.
Looks like a good buy!
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF595_grid.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	9939