Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
High Power VHF Radio (25 watt+)

Evening all,

I'm curious, is there anyway to boost the output of a marine VHF radio on a RIB? (Yes I'm aware there are licensing issues that would accompany any such modification but I'm wondering if it can actually be done before talking to Ofcom and/or buying any kit)

It seems technically feasible to do it for CB radios which are lower output (4w up to 20w) and there are various schematics to home build boosters.

Does nobody offer off the shelf equipment that would not allow higher output?

Chris
Old 27 August 2010, 21:22   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Evening all,

I'm curious, is there anyway to boost the output of a marine VHF radio on a RIB? (Yes I'm aware there are licensing issues that would accompany any such modification but I'm wondering if it can actually be done before talking to Ofcom and/or buying any kit)

It seems technically feasible to do it for CB radios which are lower output (4w up to 20w) and there are various schematics to home build boosters.

Does nobody offer off the shelf equipment that would not allow higher output?

Chris
I've a booster that I used to use on the CB, same connections so in theroy it should work the same.

Never tried it though.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2010, 21:32   #3

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I've a booster that I used to use on the CB, same connections so in theroy it should work the same.

Never tried it though.
27Mhz versus 150Mhz, I dont think so... there miles apart!!
You'll need a Ham Band 2m linerea amp for 150Mhz, then though there is still a few Mhz out.
Old 27 August 2010, 21:34   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
An interesting subject. Only of use if you're talking to the CG (or another similarly equipped craft).

You might be best to "optimise" your (legal) setup before trying this. Have you tried all that malarky first?
Old 27 August 2010, 21:36   #5

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
questions
if you needed the extra power to contact someone (range?) then how they going to answer back if they don't have the extra power too?

and i'm no expert but wouldn't a taller aerial give more range due to the curvature of the earth and the whole line of sight issue?
Old 27 August 2010, 23:43   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
The easiest road to higher power output would be to use one of the ham band VHFs which are 50-55w and can be opened up to the marine band though that won't be waterproof so no use on an open boat ... I have a collection of ham sets which we use on marine band because the Mrs requires it for her job though of course I always make sure we are transmitting on the middle power rating not on high power

The ones I have are Icom IC-2000, a few IC2100 and an IC2200 plus an Alinco DR140 and an old Icom IC229H at work, they all operate happily in the marine band for transmit and receive, and all except the last one are 50w+

3DB gain on the aerial is worth twice the power output so may be an easier solution? Conversely some crap coax or a dodgy aerial or connections will cut the performance in half just like that.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2010, 08:21   #7

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Transmitting with more power than the license specifies is illegal and I doubt OffComm will allow exemptions unless you have good reason. The best way to improve the transmit and receive performance of your VHF is to install a higher gain antenna. As mentioned, a mere 3db gain will double your effective radiated power and provide benefits when receiving the transmissions of other stations. Just buying a new antenna per se will probably help anyway as most of us pay little attention to coax degradation and the quality of our PL259 fixtures.
Old 28 August 2010, 08:28   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
27Mhz versus 150Mhz, I dont think so... there miles apart!!
You'll need a Ham Band 2m linerea amp for 150Mhz, then though there is still a few Mhz out.
I think the booster works though by taking in a signal and running it through its board and boosting it up. It should work with the marine as well, actual mhz in shouldn't matter too much.

But I'm no enginier.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2010, 08:51   #9

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I think the booster works though by taking in a signal and running it through its board and boosting it up. It should work with the marine as well, actual mhz in shouldn't matter too much.

But I'm no enginier.
It won't work. Trust me, I've been a Ham for 25 years; the amplifier needs to be tuned for the frequency band in question.
Old 28 August 2010, 11:16   #10

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
From what i remember the maximum allowed for marine vhf is or was 25 watts,
Old 28 August 2010, 11:31   #11

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
It won't work. Trust me, I've been a Ham for 25 years; the amplifier needs to be tuned for the frequency band in question.
My father used to be a keen ham radio user in the old days when it was the only way to talk to somebody overseas from here, and he had a 2kw (yes 2 kilowatt...) amplifier for his ham set but I remember 'tuning up' as an endless twiddling of knobs and whistling into the microphone while intently watching dials go up and down until he was happy. Usually took longer than the actual conversation ... so it's not a plug and play exercise but would burn a hole in the world when it was done right

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2010, 16:30   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
From what i remember the maximum allowed for marine vhf is or was 25 watts,
Not sure about the UK, but in the US, anything over 25W on the water requires a bunch of licenses from the FCC. Operator, unit, and vessel and equipped with unit, I think.

If you need to talk to someone a ways away, well, yachties use Single Side Band sets, don't they? They reach a lot further than VHF (though they may require licensing as well, but the advantage of not needing exemptions from existing regs.)

jky
Old 31 August 2010, 04:38   #13

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
. Only of use if you're talking to the CG (or another similarly equipped craft).

?
Please explain why that is
Old 31 August 2010, 07:44   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Please explain why that is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
if you needed the extra power to contact someone (range?) then how they going to answer back if they don't have the extra power too?

and i'm no expert but wouldn't a taller aerial give more range due to the curvature of the earth and the whole line of sight issue?
'Cos the CG have "big ears and a loud voice" and Storovich's response applies to the others.

Nice to hear from you, BTW
Old 31 August 2010, 10:13   #15

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
questions

Exactly! Hence the 25 watt working power for most sets. Rigging a 50 foot antenna on a rib may reduce the boats performance in other areas!

Linear amplifiers are great until everyone has one,so they are regulated for this reason. Best thing to do is get a good antena and have it fitted correctly and manage performance expectations accordingly. The coast guard have much higher antennas and I think clever repeater antenas for send and recieve.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2010, 11:22   #16

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
SWR meter

I have a 27MHZ (CB) SWR meter and it does not work with the VHF (marine) I assume it is because there is too large a gap between the freq

TSM
Old 31 August 2010, 17:09   #17

Town: Fareham
Firstly.. you won't get an off the shelf "Burner" for 150MHz band I believe that 25 watts is the most power you can go to on that band of frequencies in most countries and anything else would be illegal to use. But a custom built one could increase the power.

Secondly.. Using more power won't be any more use to you other than to "bleed" over the top of other transmissions. It won't increase your range in normal conditions unless you're using two ruddy tall aerials. Then of course you could use directional aerials to get even further range without increased wattage.

Would there not be increased health risks in increasing the power significantly in a close range application too?

What are you going to be using this set-up on? Or is it just to see if it can be done?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 22:12   #18
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
What are you going to be using this set-up on? Or is it just to see if it can be done?
A bit of both and it would be to talk to a CG base station.

Part of the problem is not getting greater distance, it's getting around buildings in Central London that cause black spots. You appear to be able to receive in these black spots from CG stations, just not transmit.

Chris
Old 01 September 2010, 23:33   #19

Town: Fareham
I would guess that along the Thames that your mobile phone would be enough in an emergency. You could use the radio to co-ordinate the rescue when the emergency units are on the scene.

I am surprised that you have "black Spots" where you can hear the CG but can't raise them on the VHF. Perhaps you do have a poor aerial or connection that needs looking at? Should your radio setup be OK then perhaps you should map these areas and submit your finding to the CG so that they can improve their coverage.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2010, 23:49   #20
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I would guess that along the Thames that your mobile phone would be enough in an emergency. You could use the radio to co-ordinate the rescue when the emergency units are on the scene.

I am surprised that you have "black Spots" where you can hear the CG but can't raise them on the VHF. Perhaps you do have a poor aerial or connection that needs looking at? Should your radio setup be OK then perhaps you should map these areas and submit your finding to the CG so that they can improve their coverage.
In principle what you suggest is fine but in some places the mobile phones have bad reception areas as well as the radios. We do use a combination of VHF and mobile as it is but I thought a whopping great big powerful VHF might have solved the problem.....it sounds like a no though.

London CG and the PLA already know the black spots on the River if they decide to do something about them, well that's another question!