Old 23 December 2003, 05:41   #1
Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Hats off to Garmin !!!

Hi all

Just thought i'd let you all know of the fantastic customer service I've just had from Garmin. I know it will help me make any future decisions on electronics and who to buy them from.

When I bought my boat It came with a GPS125 sounder which coupled with a back up etrex venture I was happy with.

Last weekend one of my crew (you know who you are !) decide to drop test it from the boat 2 metres on to concrete when removing the GPS1256S from the console. Not too suprisingly this has damaged the LCD screen.

After looking at the cost of a new GMAP168 sounder (400 cheapest) I thought Id speak to Garmin to see if they could repair it.

As I expected, as the 125 is discontinued, they no longer stock parts - however, they advised, if I returned the unit they would replace with a GMAP168 sounder for 89.03. At which point I fell off my chair !
After pinching myself asking them to repeat it three times and confirm in an email, I packed up the unit and sent it off special delivery.

What more of Christmas present could I want ! Merry Christmas Garmin !

Does go to show how much they must make from people buying full priced products though !

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2003, 05:54   #2
Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
Hats off to Garmin !!!

I have a garmin gps III. I left it without batteries in for a few days, next time I try to use it, it cant find any satellites.
I spoke to garmin and it seems they had a fault with the internal battery and it had lost the almanac data, which could not be reloaded. The unit was more than two years old and I thought I was going to have to buy a new one. But no, Garmin told me to return it and they sent me a new one free of charge, which I still have to this day.
Thanks garmin, Nick.

nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2003, 06:37   #3
Town: Estepona
Boat name: St Crispin + Harum Scarum
Make: Sealine F36 + Flatacraft Force6
Length: 11.5 + 6.4m
Engine: 2 x KAMD43 Volvos + Mercruiser 150
always getting good reports about Garmin service. I've got a 12xl handheld over two years old, told them the internal batteries were not storing info, my fault actually as meant to keep normal batteries in to keep the internals up.
Sent it back they sent new one free of charge excellent
Sun Coast Marine
Sun_Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2003, 08:59   #4
Trade member
Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
I have the Garmin 176C and last year on the way back from St.Malo the support bracket cracked. On my return I sent Garmin an email just reporting the problem. There was no discussion within 3 days I received a new bracket and even new leads Free of Charge. First class service. They really look after their customers. A new bracket would have cost me about 45.00

Andre is offline   Reply With Quote