Old 18 August 2014, 19:36   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
handheld vhf

Now i know i should have a vhf but dont.... I thinkthis autumn i'll do the course and will need a radio, my time on the water is limited so i need a "good value" item, Last time i went for a decent run with my iphone in a "dry" bag it cost me £50 to get it working again.... so a second hand vhf for around £50 would be a good deal.....

Looked at Lowrance Link-2 Floating Waterproof DSC VHF with GPS - Only £179.95 - Force 4 Chandlery but its more than i want to spend what with £80 for the course and Ofcom registration.... £? so where do you find a good condition used VHF? Oh and as the battery willprobably knackered a replacement?

Also apart from calling for help and lock access and weather anythign else you can do with them?
Old 18 August 2014, 19:43   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I would go for this one its a well proven piece of kit

Icom M71 Waterproof VHF Radio + FREE 12V Cable - Only £169.95 - Force 4 Chandlery
Old 18 August 2014, 19:50   #3

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
I would go for this one its a well proven piece of kit

Icom M71 Waterproof VHF Radio + FREE 12V Cable - Only £169.95 - Force 4 Chandlery
Agreed we've had them for years now. Although for the extra coup[le of £ Id recommend a DSC set our SH HX 851 is great.
http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/...Q#.U_JZqrmYYcA
Old 18 August 2014, 20:11   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Now i know i should have a vhf but dont.... I thinkthis autumn i'll do the course and will need a radio, my time on the water is limited so i need a "good value" item, Last time i went for a decent run with my iphone in a "dry" bag it cost me £50 to get it working again.... so a second hand vhf for around £50 would be a good deal.....

Looked at Lowrance Link-2 Floating Waterproof DSC VHF with GPS - Only £179.95 - Force 4 Chandlery but its more than i want to spend what with £80 for the course and Ofcom registration.... £? so where do you find a good condition used VHF? Oh and as the battery willprobably knackered a replacement?

Also apart from calling for help and lock access and weather anythign else you can do with them?
Just have a read through all the similar threads, the general consensus is buy cheap, buy twice. Especially when it comes to handhelds.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2014, 20:15   #5

Thinking a secondhand icom is a better buy than a cobra..... from reading here (I know Icom are THE name in handhelds) Might be able to get one through work, but probably like most things cheaper on the interweb...
Old 18 August 2014, 20:17   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Standard Horizon are also recommended, and less expensive than Icom.
Old 18 August 2014, 20:21   #7

Ofcom licence is free if apply online, so that bit is good news.

Bad news is there is probably an exam fee above the course fee.

Why handheld? Are you on a SIB or a RIB? 4 times more power than a HH with a fixed set. No flat battery. 4 times power transmits twice distance. Taller aerial could also get you further. 5miles vs 20...¿

I'd choose both. But that means I'd be happy for the HH to not have DSC (although if anyone wants to give me a DSC set I won't complain...)

DO NOT buy a cobra that us IPX4 rated. there are people on here who don't rate the IPX7 cobra either but it wouldn't be worse than useless... Especially if you plan to upgrade to fixed in future and want a spare. That said shop round and u should find an ICOM or SH for little extra.

Some things to think about... Batteries. Lithium far better than NmH. If you can swap over for AA batteries that's good. Charging... Does it come with 12v lead? Can it be on and charge? Is it waterproof when charging? The latest ones use Mini/Micro USB to charge which you probably already have for phones etc... Easy to source if not...

Speaker under water... Need to shake free...

Can you replay speech.

HH DSC ... Do you need it? If so do you really need a PLB...? A HH at water level... 6miles maybe... Is there a mast or other boat in range...
Old 18 August 2014, 20:24   #8

Reason for handheld is use is on a small RIB no easy mounting or power, or use on a PWC Thats the reason for HH, fixed is better but impractical.....

I have found a course for £80+ £60 fee or £125 inc fee Does the RYA do a member discount on the Exam fee?
Old 18 August 2014, 20:37   #9
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Reason for handheld is use is on a small RIB no easy mounting or power, or use on a PWC Thats the reason for HH, fixed is better but impractical.....

I have found a course for £80+ £60 fee or £125 inc fee Does the RYA do a member discount on the Exam fee?
Nope - no discount, Make sure the price includes the VHF Handbook too...

I do RYA SRC VHF Radio online course £69 including book, sit exam at local centre £60..

RYA SRC VHF Marine Radio Course

My face to face RYA SRC VHF courses are 4 max. on course, includes book , refreshments and lunch!

Scott
Old 18 August 2014, 20:39   #10

RIBase
I'm sure that the SH are very good but I have never owned one so I can't really give any advice on them, but I have had my icom M71 for 5 or 6 years now and the battery life is excellent.

When away for the weekends I charge it up the Thurs night to take with me and when I get back home on the Sunday I leave the radio switched on with the volume on low to completely run the battery out.

This usually takes 3 days, then when its flat I always disconnect the battery from the unit then put it away until next time.

Doing this has kept it in tip top condition and it has served me well and always lasts like from the first day I got it. p.s. I forgot to mention I always give it a good rinse with fresh water.
Old 18 August 2014, 20:45   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I'm sure that the SH are very good but I have never owned one so I can't really give any advice on them, but I have had my icom M71 for 5 or 6 years now and the battery life is excellent.

When away for the weekends I charge it up the Thurs night to take with me and when I get back home on the Sunday I leave the radio switched on with the volume on low to completely run the battery out.

This usually takes 3 days, then when its flat I always disconnect the battery from the unit then put it away until next time.

Doing has kept it in tip top condition and it has served me well and always lasts like from the first day I got it. p.s. I forgot to mention I always give it a good rinse with fresh water.
Interesting Steve, I always store mine charged.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2014, 20:56   #12

Quote:

When away for the weekends I charge it up the Thurs night to take with me and when I get back home on the Sunday I leave the radio switched on with the volume on low to completely run the battery out. .
Listening guzzles very little power. Transmit is the power hungry bit. Add GPS for DSC and you need to watch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Interesting Steve, I always store mine charged.
Lithium ion doesn't have the same issues that NiMH does...
Old 18 August 2014, 21:06   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
...No flat battery...
unless a flat (main engine) battery is the reason he is trying to call for help.

Quote:
there are people on here who don't rate the IPX7 cobra either but it wouldn't be worse than useless...
unless its stopped working (as they can do eventually) - when its dead its dead.
Old 18 August 2014, 21:12   #14

Quote:
True NiMH cells don't catch fire anywhere near as frequently

COrrect storage is tricky but heat will kill them

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

This article interestingly suggests not storing flat (deep discharge can occur) or full.... but around 40%...
Old 18 August 2014, 21:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
unless a flat (main engine) battery is the reason he is trying to call for help.
Small boat, small engine. Manual starting should be possible.

In my experience HH radio batteries die far more than rib engine batteries...

Quote:
unless its stopped working (as they can do eventually) - when its dead its dead.
That's useless rather than worse than. Useless ;-). Still got your little cobra that could only transmit at 3w with a following wind if you pointed it in the right direction while saying some hail Marie's? That was worse than useless! Especially as it didn't have all UK channel s on it...
Did look cute though
Old 18 August 2014, 21:25   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Listening guzzles very little power. Transmit is the power hungry bit. Add GPS for DSC and you need to watch...

That's why I'm happy with the M71... no need for GPS as I've got navionics as a back up on my mobile.

Quote:
True NiMH cells don't catch fire anywhere near as frequently

COrrect storage is tricky but heat will kill them

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

This article interestingly suggests not storing flat (deep discharge can occur) or full.... but around 40%...
6 years of doing what I have been doing seems to have worked well.

Not sure about running flat but I'm sure that in the instruction booklet it tells you to remove the battery when stowing away for long periods.
Old 19 August 2014, 06:17   #17

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just have a read through all the similar threads, the general consensus is buy cheap, buy twice. Especially when it comes to handhelds.
Yeah!...Two's ALWAYS better than One!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2014, 09:16   #18

+1 Cobra's are useless (in my opinion).

Took a floating Cobra with "Waterproof" moulded into the side in big letters with me on a MOB exercise, after a quick dunk as I went over and 5 mins in the water (but not submersed) it stopped working. Sent it back and bought the SH HX851E with DSC. No issues (to date).
Old 02 September 2014, 10:15   #19
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 55HP
I have a handheld but only on Windermere. If i start going to the coast, i will look at getting one fitted.
Old 02 September 2014, 10:36   #20

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
I've got an Icom M71 h/h which is a great bit of kit - it's easy to use for power setting, changing channel and calling but so complicated to set up for scans/channel naming/aquaquake function unless you use it every day so can remember what to press in what order!

But the intention was always to have that as the back-up/emergency so I've now bought a Lowrance Link 8 DSC fixed VHF - the Icom will stay in the grab bag as a ready use spare.

I'm half way through my fit of the fixed - I've fitted the antenna and run the cable through to the console, but I need to fit the radio into the console in my next bit of spare time.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote